The Student Room Group

Help with N5 English??

I completely suck at English. I've always been more into science and maths, so English to me is a chore.
Currently, my portfolio is complete and I'm pretty pleased with that, and I'm confident about my RUAE skills. However when it comes to textual analysis, I just don't even have a clue. In class we are studying the play Bold Girls and poems by Norman MacCaig, but I just can't seem to learn the required info about these Scottish set texts no matter how hard I try. If anyone has any tips on how to study the play and poems that would be great, and also any help on how to answer that dreaded 8 mark textual analysis question would also be appreciated. Thank you!!!
I've probably left this a bit late, my English prelim is on January the 11th. Woops
Hi, At N5 i done the same as you. Basically the only thing you can do is create a mind map for each poem and just revise over the key points really. Assisi is the best one you can get cause theres so much to talk about and lots of good info online
Reply 2
Thank you so much! I'll try using the mind maps and see how things go, hopefully better than what I have been doing haha
Reply 3
Try using flashcards and do loads of practice papers! Even if you don't complete the pass papers, you could always pick out the quotes you would use. I'm not sure about what you're studying, but if you check the bbc bitesize website there may be some really good notes on it! You may wish to just google "bbc bitesize Bold girls" as it might be on the english school section (When i studies A view from a bridge, that was the case for me). Other than that, simply googling the poems/text your studying it should come up with some sort of notes, it might help by writing them out to try and learn them up
Reply 4
Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending