The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies or Higher Geography

Hi,

I posted recently about how my school was cancelling their Higher Applications of Maths course.
It’s been around two weeks since this class was dropped, and I am still no further forward.

I can’t find anywhere else that does Higher Apps. Phoned up the SQA and they’ve told me only three schools in Scotland are doing it ??

…and so the options for me would be to either take Higher (regular) Maths at school, which I know I’ll struggle at as I wasn’t able to do N5 maths, or take a Social Subject - Modern Studies or Geography.

I was on my way to achieve four Highers by the end of this school year (including Higher Apps) and Regular N5 maths at college.
However, as Higher Apps has been dropped I now only have three Highers, and as I am looking to leave after this year (S5) I’d like to leave with a minimum of four Highers incase one day I do decide to go to university. It isn’t something I’m thinking of right now though.

I did Modern N5 last year and I found it pretty easy, but I found out today that the class I would be in - would be with people I have had problems with, and overall I would feel really uncomfortable sitting in that class for the whole year. I feel as though it would be worse as well as I would be joining this class two months in.

So the only other option would be to take Geography. There are two classes I can join; one with pretty much just S6s (only two or three are in my year), who I’ve never really spoken to or had problems with, or another - mostly with people my year, who I’ve had a few issues with but my best friend would be in that class. That one has less staff to it though and they usually have cover teachers every second day which in the long run wouldn’t help me catch up on any N5 stuff as well as Higher, as I would be crashing geography.

I’m not really keen on the idea of taking geography, it is not a subject that has ever stood out to me or I’ve been interested in - but I feel as though I have to take one of the two, so I can leave with four highers.

The final option which does seem slightly dramatic I will admit, would be for me to leave school.

I feel as though right now I lack a lot of motivation, as for the subjects I have taken: Higher Music, English & Computing - I am only really interested in music and couldn’t be bothered for English or Computing. I feel like I’m dragging myself round in circles here as I’m unable to make a decision.

Grateful to hear your input.
I think how you feel in the classroom itself in terms of comfort levels is one of the most important things here. You mention you don’t really get along with the people in your modern studies class whereas you have some friends in your geography class.

Depends on how you think you would tolerate the people, if you’re able to tolerate the people in ur moddies class or if you really dislike them or they’re super annoying etc. Might do you better to go to the class where you have people there you like.

In terms of the subjects themselves I can’t speak for higher modern studies as I only done N5 whereas I done higher Geo. Not going to lie with geography it can be quite a lot of content and revision. You have the human section where I’d say it’s mainly a bit of reading but mostly common sense. Then there’s the physical section that’s more sciencey and then you really do need to study and keep on top of your facts otherwise you won’t get it correct. I didn’t love geography but obviously everyone has their preferences.

Is consortia for your higher app of maths not an option perhaps? Where you do it online with another school
Bit late on the scene here but talking subject-wise you'll probably find Higher Geography to be exceptionally easy, even if it doesn't interest you. Modern Studies is interesting and definitely doable but requires a lot more essay work, and alongside that, if you're not comfortable in the class there's even less point doing it.

What did you do in the end?
Reply 3
Original post by isaacb23
Bit late on the scene here but talking subject-wise you'll probably find Higher Geography to be exceptionally easy, even if it doesn't interest you. Modern Studies is interesting and definitely doable but requires a lot more essay work, and alongside that, if you're not comfortable in the class there's even less point doing it.

What did you do in the end?

Just remembered I had an account on here!

Didn’t like the idea of doing another social subject so ended up re-sitting National 5 Maths, which in hindsight was definitely a mistake. I had 3 teachers, a different one every day of the week, and the days we had each teacher kept switching.
Also to add to the mix - my class eventually got doubled up with another one, and I felt really uncomfortable. Overall it was a really bad experience, so I asked to go somewhere separate where I self studied and no one checked up on me the whole time - a good two months! Safe to say I won’t be going back to my school’s maths dept any time soon! I asked about consortia in January, where I could study at another school for next year, but only now have my school given me a straight up no. :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Newtothis_24
I think how you feel in the classroom itself in terms of comfort levels is one of the most important things here. You mention you don’t really get along with the people in your modern studies class whereas you have some friends in your geography class.

Depends on how you think you would tolerate the people, if you’re able to tolerate the people in ur moddies class or if you really dislike them or they’re super annoying etc. Might do you better to go to the class where you have people there you like.

In terms of the subjects themselves I can’t speak for higher modern studies as I only done N5 whereas I done higher Geo. Not going to lie with geography it can be quite a lot of content and revision. You have the human section where I’d say it’s mainly a bit of reading but mostly common sense. Then there’s the physical section that’s more sciencey and then you really do need to study and keep on top of your facts otherwise you won’t get it correct. I didn’t love geography but obviously everyone has their preferences.

Is consortia for your higher app of maths not an option perhaps? Where you do it online with another school

Just remembered I had an account on here - so sorry for the *very* late reply!

I didn’t really like the idea of doing another social subject so I ended up re-sitting National 5 Maths, which in hindsight was definitely a mistake. I had 3 teachers, a different one every day of the week, and the days we had each teacher kept switching.
Also to add to the mix - my class eventually got doubled up with another one, and I felt really uncomfortable. Overall it was a really bad experience, so I asked to go somewhere separate where I self studied and no one checked up on me the whole time - a good two months! Safe to say I won’t be going back to my school’s maths dept any time soon! I asked about consortia in January, where I could study at another school for next year, but only now have my school given me a straight up no. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending