The Student Room Group

Why is stress a property of a material rather than a property of an object?

This was in my physics practical handbook, I'm trying to pull out different explanations but it's all muddled. I know what stress and strain are but how is this applied to the question?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Moved to physics. :smile:
Reply 3
stress is a property of a material as its the type of bonds within the material that affect its properties whilst an object is something made from a material
Original post by therealbatman365
This was in my physics practical handbook, I'm trying to pull out different explanations but it's all muddled. I know what stress and strain are but how is this applied to the question?

That's quite an unusual question... neither tensile stress nor strain are inherent properties of a material, with the former being dimensionally equivalent to exerted pressure and the latter being just a measure of the resultant deformation.

I'm not entirely sure what this question is calling for, but perhaps it's asking as to why the resultant strain depends on the material for a given stress? As in, the Young's modulus of a material.

Quick Reply

Latest