The Student Room Group

Council tax exemption- multiple addresses

I know students are exempt from council tax for their term time accomodation but what about at their home/permanent address? Can you have two homes and be exempt at both?
Reply 1
Doubt it, the reason why students are exempt is because you are only using it for one or two years (plus they have enough common sense to know we can't afford it).

So why would they exempt you from your permanent home?
Reply 2
I think that your permanent home is counted as wherever you're registered on the electoral roll, which is why you're always encouraged to register on the roll with your uni address. Technically, you're going to be spending *most* of your year at uni anyway and I think it's worked out by where you spend most of your year, uni is generally 36/8 weeks and I'm not sure if the 14/16 weeks you get as holiday is enough for your home to be counted as a permanent residence. I don't think that you can legally have more than one 'permanent' address. Also remember that you're over 18 so I think it goes off where you're living 'now', rather than the parental home being automatically assumed to be your permanent address.

Also, in student terms it's the property that's exempt from council tax. A student house (where only students live) or halls is automatically exempt and so are the people in it (providing they fit the 'student' criteria).

I can't honestly see that it's going to make much difference to the amount of council tax that you pay at home anyway. If you live with a single parent they'd become eligible for the single person's discount (25%) providing of course that there isn't another non-exempt adult living at home eg a working adult sibling, but they'd be getting that discount anyway until you turned 18, and they'd still get that discount anyway if you stayed at home, since as a student you'd be exempt. If everyone in your household was 'disregarded' for c/t purposes they'd be getting a 50% reduction, but again you being a student and staying at home wouldn't change that, and neiter would you leaving. It's all a bit complicated lol ...
Are you trying to get no council tax for your parents house?
Reply 4
I don't live with my parents, I rent a flat from them. Then they decided not to get new tenents for the year I'm at uni. Had this mad idea that if the flat was left in my name they might let me off council tax. Never expected to have two homes in my name (that's absurd) so I don't know the rules. Guess I'll ring the council.
Reply 5
So what you're saying is that you'll be living in halls/at uni but the flat will still be let to you ... Tbh I don't think that's the best way to go about it. It would be better for your parents to empty the flat, and then apply for a discount from the council. I'm not sure but I think that a flat that's empty (ie completely unfurnished and unlived in) is exempt from c/t anyway, or at least they'd get a fairly hefty discount.

If you're going to live in the flat then what you need to do is get on the electoral roll at the 'new' address to prove it's your primary residence. If you formally rent the flat from your parents then all you need to do is get the exemption letter from your uni and post it off to the council along with your council tax a/c number as soon as your first bill. If you're a first year student, the letter will normally exempt you from Sept to Sept, so all you need to do is post the new letter off as soon as you get it.

I'm assuming though that the flat is some way from your uni and you want to stay in halls/a flat there and still have the flat to go back to in the holidays? I suppose that technically you could be registered as resident in two places but I really doubt you'd get an exemption on a property that isn't your primary residence. Tbh I think the council might view what you're trying to do as being a bit fraudulent ...
Reply 6
Yeah, I see what you mean about it being viewed as fraudulent. You're probably right.
Good post.
Paeony
So what you're saying is that you'll be living in halls/at uni but the flat will still be let to you ... Tbh I don't think that's the best way to go about it. It would be better for your parents to empty the flat, and then apply for a discount from the council. I'm not sure but I think that a flat that's empty (ie completely unfurnished and unlived in) is exempt from c/t anyway, or at least they'd get a fairly hefty discount.

If you're going to live in the flat then what you need to do is get on the electoral roll at the 'new' address to prove it's your primary residence. If you formally rent the flat from your parents then all you need to do is get the exemption letter from your uni and post it off to the council along with your council tax a/c number as soon as your first bill. If you're a first year student, the letter will normally exempt you from Sept to Sept, so all you need to do is post the new letter off as soon as you get it.

I'm assuming though that the flat is some way from your uni and you want to stay in halls/a flat there and still have the flat to go back to in the holidays? I suppose that technically you could be registered as resident in two places but I really doubt you'd get an exemption on a property that isn't your primary residence. Tbh I think the council might view what you're trying to do as being a bit fraudulent ...

You are correct,I work in a call centre + the back office who deal with the council tax + housing benefit.
What Poeny adviced is brilliant.

what u need to do is if your a full time student and all the people that are living with you in the property are full time students as well ...u all need to send ur student certs if your university is registered as valid then u would get the exemption. You might live in a different council borough than i do but if u want i can look up to see what uni u go to see if u would exempt. They do take a bit of time to assess if ur college + uni are not acceptable then u would need to send ur prospectus of thats only in fraudalent cases.

But none the less if u living at halls like mentioned above and have let ur other property out in your name just because ur a student thats a no no. So what you might do is if u decide to keep the property empty + unfurnished u call ur council they would do a visit request for you , and bases on the status of your property they would either 100% exempt u for a 6 month period if the property is fully empty and unfurnished , if you have major refurbishements going on in the property u need to keep all reciepts if u dont this will result in no exmption/disregard / discount. But thats a different story.
But to qualify for full exemption for empty + unfurnished propery make sure u call the ctax department and get a visit done, and that takes quite a bit of time , our visiting team takes around 14 working days, but double check with your councl.

You will only be exempt from one property even if your living in it, however u would definately be eligable for second home discount which is 10% , so u need to provide your ctax bill for your other property to get the 10%.

But you wont get full exemptions on both properties. Regardless of whoes name its registered under.

I hope I havent gone off track :s-smilie: i hope i made sense about this all.
If you want furthur information do let me know , or pm me ...

here is some furthur info for your reference.

i hope this makes sense :confused:

Students and Council Tax

A guide to Council Tax for Students

What is a Student?

There are 3 definitions of full-time students used for Council Tax purposes:

* Full-time students in further or higher education
A full-time course is defined as one that lasts for at least one academic year.The Student is required to attend for at least 24 weeks a year and undertake, on average, at least 21 hours of study and tuition in each of those weeks. This includes Students undertaking work experience, but only if the periods of study exceed the periods of work experience when aggregated over the whole course. If work experience exceeds study then it will not be treated as a full-time course of education.

NB. Student nurses studying academic courses at university or college will be treated as full-time students for Council Tax purposes.

* Students under 20 in non-advanced education
For Council Tax purposes, these students are said to be undertaking ‘qualifying courses of education’. The main conditions are that the student is under 20 years of age, is studying on a course up to but not above Higher Level, Ordinary National Certificate (ONC) or Ordinary National Diploma (OND) and is normally required to study for at least 12 hours per week. Also the course should be for at least three months duration.

Foreign language assistants.

This requires the assistant to be registered with the Central Bureau for Educational Visits and Exchanges.

If you fall into one of these categories you should apply to have your Council Tax bill reduced.

If you are a part-time student, you can claim Council Tax Benefit based on your income. For more information on Council Tax Benefits, click here.

Council Tax Reliefs

Your Council Tax bill will be reduced if you qualify for Council Tax Exemption or Discount:

Council Tax Exemption

You may apply for an Exemption if:

* You live alone and are a full-time student.
All the adult residents are full-time students.
The residents are any mixture of the following:
o
o Full-time students Non-British students and their spouses
o
Persons Under 18
o
School leavers under 20
o
Severely mentally impaired persons
The property is unoccupied and you are the sole liable person and a full-time student.
All of the liable persons of an unoccupied property are full-time students.

Council Tax Discount

Council Tax legislation makes the assumption that there are 2 adults living in each property.

Certain adults such as students, student nurses, apprentices, mentally impaired persons and certain care workers are not counted in the number of adults in the household for discount purposes.

If, after disregarding these people, one adult remains for Council Tax purposes, a 25% Status Discount may be due.

International Students

International students and their families can be held liable and can apply for Council Tax Discounts, Exemptions and Disabled Person’s Reduction in the same way as U.K. students.

European Community students and their families may only apply for Council Tax Benefit if they are considered to be ‘vulnerable’, i.e. they are a single parent or have a disability.

Non-European Community students and their families cannot apply for Council Tax Benefit.

Proving you are a Student

Glasgow City Council will consider you to be a Student for Council Tax purposes where we are satisfied that the documentation that you present to us.

Matriculation cards, student loan accepatance letters or acceptance letters from the University or College are not acceptable.

We will consider your claim where we are presented with a statutory student certificate, available from the registrar at your College or University, or a completed Council Tax Exemption or Discount application form. You can download these forms here.

All documentation should be forwarded to Glasgow City Council where it is retained for audit purposes.

You will cease to be a student for Council Tax purposes when you have completed your course of study, if you have abandoned it or are no longer permitted by the educational institution to attend it.

Points To Remember

* From 1/6/2001 full-time students are excluded from joint and several liability where they share accomodation with non-students
You should advise the council of any change of address as soon as possible.
Do not ignore a Council Tax bill - confirm your student status with the Council.
Council Tax Student Discounts and Exemptions can be backdated.
If you are unhappy with any aspect of your Council Tax you should in the first instance write to Glasgow City Council at the address below.
You will already be exempt if you live in a recognised hall of residence.
Part-time students are NOT entitled to claim Council Tax Exemption. They can, however, apply for Council Tax Benefit
Reply 8
I'd no idea what the rules were on this but i claim council tax exemption on two houses in my name. 1 in scotland and 1 in england tho if that changes anything.

i have 1 house in scotland, which i inherited and is in my name. This is registered with the council there as i am a student and the house is fully unnocupied (altho it still has furniture in it). they send me a slip of paper every year just saying sign to confirm you're still a student, and i don't pay any council tax on it. (n.b i dont live in it in holidays either - just visit for a few days every so often to check everythings ok etc)

i then have the house i rent in my uni town, which is in england. i send the council tax studenty exemption thing to them there every year, and so don't pay any council tax there either.

maybe as the two houses are far away with different councils etc its different. who knows. but i have exemption from council tax on both houses anyway.

so am i then being 'fraudulent'? if i am i had no idea i was being. either way, i dont want to start paying bills on somewhere i don't live now, or while i'm still a student anyway.
Reply 9
I'm not sure - I'd imagine that there's a difference here because you're living in Scotland and England. Also, your situation is fairly unusual in that you own the Scotland house. The problem I saw with Pijin was that it looked like his parents were putting their flat in his name so that they could avoid paying council tax, which would not be looked on kindly by the council.
HI pijin,

Below mentioned properties are exempted from council tax:

The properties which are condemned.
Unoccupied property
A caravan or boat if it’s on the property taxed by the Council Tax.
A property where the occupants are under 18 years of age.

If you still have any doubt you can visit here.
Original post by jenifferhomes
HI pijin,

Below mentioned properties are exempted from council tax:

The properties which are condemned.
Unoccupied property
A caravan or boat if it’s on the property taxed by the Council Tax.
A property where the occupants are under 18 years of age.

If you still have any doubt you can visit here.

OP's post was from 2007...
Reply 12
Original post by eden
I'd no idea what the rules were on this but i claim council tax exemption on two houses in my name. 1 in scotland and 1 in england tho if that changes anything.i have 1 house in scotland, which i inherited and is in my name. This is registered with the council there as i am a student and the house is fully unnocupied (altho it still has furniture in it). they send me a slip of paper every year just saying sign to confirm you're still a student, and i don't pay any council tax on it. (n.b i dont live in it in holidays either - just visit for a few days every so often to check everythings ok etc)i then have the house i rent in my uni town, which is in england. i send the council tax studenty exemption thing to them there every year, and so don't pay any council tax there either.maybe as the two houses are far away with different councils etc its different. who knows. but i have exemption from council tax on both houses anyway.so am i then being 'fraudulent'? if i am i had no idea i was being. either way, i dont want to start paying bills on somewhere i don't live now, or while i'm still a student anyway.
Hi we are in the same boat my daughter has her own flat we have bought her for the holidays to work from and 6 months of the year she is at halls of residence. I’ve spoken to our local council and they say she is not entitled to exemption and we have to pay the new 200% presuming council tax for a second home £500 pcm for a one bed flat which we cannot afford. Yet I rang two other councils who said that is rubbish both her halls and holiday flat would be exempt whilst she is in full time education as long as she lives there alone and is on the electoral role which she is and you can be on both. So it’s an area where there is no legal guidance online and rather frustrating as they are making their decision not on legal fact.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending