The Student Room Group

If you were given 1 million pounds to set up a business, what would it be and why?

If you were given 1 million pounds to set up a business, what would it be and why?

The million pounds has to be spent all on the business, and not used for anything else e.g on your own home!

I'd love to set up a coffee shop/tea room, with plenty of cake and serve yummy cooked breakfasts. I think it would appeal to a lot of people and, although there are a lot of similar things out there, the demand is high. I'd buy the property outright so that there was no rent, perhaps in multiple places if there was enough money or money made from it, give good wages, and use really good quality ingredients but not have ridiculous prices!

So what would your dream business be?

Scroll to see replies

Become a property investor.
A really good alpaca farm.
Reply 3
i would probably sell some really cool creative software :P
Reply 4
real estate investor.
Original post by BurstingBubbles

The million pounds has to be spent all on the business, and not used for anything else e.g on your own home!

I'd love to set up a coffee shop/tea room, with plenty of cake and serve yummy cooked breakfasts. I think it would appeal to a lot of people and, although there are a lot of similar things out there, the demand is high. I'd buy the property outright so that there was no rent, perhaps in multiple places if there was enough money or money made from it, give good wages, and use really good quality ingredients but not have ridiculous prices!

So what would your dream business be?

I d also love to open up a tearoom or a bakery :smile:
Cat cafe! All the cats would be available to adopt through a charity and the money would help pay for a property, food and drinks for customers and animals, vet bills, that kind of thing. Every week a mental health support coffee group evening for those who want to chat and give and receive advice and support in the therapeutic presence of cats
Probably property because it's almost guaranteed growth.
a café or bakery- somewhere for people to eat and just chill
Original post by maggie43
Become a property investor.

Where would you be based, or would it be nation/worldwide? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by leggington
A really good alpaca farm.

Omg! I think I want to change mine to a farm or a kitty cafe now!

Have you been to an alpaca farm before? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ahad47
i would probably sell some really cool creative software :P

What sort of things would that include? Like Photoshop and stuff? Excuse my limited tech knowledge :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by claireestelle
I d also love to open up a tearoom or a bakery :smile:

Yes! :five:

Original post by chelseadagg3r
Cat cafe! All the cats would be available to adopt through a charity and the money would help pay for a property, food and drinks for customers and animals, vet bills, that kind of thing. Every week a mental health support coffee group evening for those who want to chat and give and receive advice and support in the therapeutic presence of cats

Omg I love Car cafes :love: I'm allergic to cats but it would be worth it.

Love the idea about a mental health support group! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firearm manufacturer.
Reply 14
Original post by BurstingBubbles
What sort of things would that include? Like Photoshop and stuff? Excuse my limited tech knowledge :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

software that helps make important decisions like trading software. software that banks would use, so i can charge them a **** ton of money and build an empire MUAHAHAA
I'd love to start a coding club to teach children (or adults!) how to program. With that big a budget you could set it up really well too, get some incredibly up-to-date tech, and even some basic robots to do programming with so that they could see the code coming to life :love:
A bakery where you can eat cake all day..........................................

........Whilst cuddling pandas :h:
Boringly, I would likely buy a couple of investment properties so I never had to work again and then use the rest to fund small food businesses or the like and try to focus on hiring people transitioning back into normal life after homelessness etc.

Or I'd buy a robot dragon and hunt pirates. Not sure which.
I don't really have the commercial experience to set up a successful business now. I'd want years of experience in an industry before throwing a million pounds at it and I don't have that at the moment.

Like others, I'd just buy a house for a million and rent it out because it is a relatively safe investment and doesn't create a great deal of admin. Its cheating a bit but it is technically a business. In 20 years, maybe I'd try my hand at a trade rather than investment.
Original post by ByronicHero
Boringly, I would likely buy a couple of investment properties so I never had to work again and then use the rest to fund small food businesses or the like and try to focus on hiring people transitioning back into normal life after homelessness etc.

Or I'd buy a robot dragon and hunt pirates. Not sure which.

You'd still be working collecting rent, fixing things, unclogging toilets or paying a plumber to do so. On top of that your tenant may refuse to pay you rent, in which case you're stuck with a property in which you have expenses but no money coming in. And no power to kick the tenant out.

So yeah, still work, and potentially stressful at that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending