The Student Room Group

Manchester vs Loughborough vs Lancaster

I've received offers from the above and I'm struggling to choose. The degree I'm studying is a mix of Information technology and management for business. So going off the business and technology (computers) side of these unis.
I know Manchester is probably the most 'prestigious' and is in the Russel group. I believe it's more internationally recognised.
However, Loughborough has very good student satisfaction and is highly ranked in most league tables (I know they're don't mean all that much).
Lancaster is also highly ranked and looks like it has a very nice campus!

I'm not sure if I like the surrounding area of Manchester, but I haven't spent enough time there to be sure. I'm also not sure if I'd prefer campus based unis or not haha.

So which one of these uni's would you chose and why?

Sorry for the long question and for not knowing anything haha, cheers.
Reply 1
Original post by Broscientist
Manchester is more reputable than Loughborough and Lancaster and more targeted by employers. For the things that matter, Manchester is better. You will do fine if you go to Loughborough and Lancaster as well, but don't be fooled by league tables alone. Just decide what is important to you. In the end of the day, the difference in employment prospects is not that significant between these 3 universities.

Look at course content, the city, the campus, living costs, etc. There are so many variables. If you are going by reputation alone, then Manchester is the obvious choice in my opinion.

Thanks for the reply mate! That sounds like pretty sound advice, I need to visit Lancaster and Loughbourough again. I'd be inclined to agree with you on the reputation tbh! The only issue I have with Manchester is the dirty feel I got when I went there, but I didn't stay long really, I'll go again! And I believe the living costs will be far higher.
Do you go to uni? If so, if you don't mind me asking, where?
Reply 2
Original post by Broscientist
I go to Nottingham. Currently in my first year straight Computer Science.

Sounds good, I've heard Nottingham is a good uni. Thanks for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending