The Student Room Group

loughborough vs lancaster for computer science

which one is better in terms of academics since i like both unis equally i wanted to know which is better in terms of rankings and grad employment?
Reply 1
Loughborough. See The Complete University Guide. Lancaster has a slightly better reputation for research though. I'm biased though as I wouldn't personally choose to go to a university of 1960s origins again (which is what Lancaster is) as their campuses tend to feel more isolated and lack the architectural prestige feeling of having at least a few older buildings.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by jake102:)
which one is better in terms of academics since i like both unis equally i wanted to know which is better in terms of rankings and grad employment?

Hi @jake102 [s]smile[/s] ,

Loughborough University is a top 10 University (Complete University Guide).

The rankings for computer science at Loughborough are high. I would recommend taking a look at this information page for an insight into awards, facilities, accreditation, career opportunities and what our students have to say about computer science.

Our Careers Network have so many opportunities available to support you and help improve your employability. They offer everything from CV workshops, one-to-one advice sessions and mock interview practice sessions to high-profile employer events.

I hope this helps. If you have any other questions please do ask :smile:

Alex

Hi @jake102 [s]smile[/s]

Both Loughborough and Lancaster are placed highly in the league tables. I have just had a look at the guardian university rankings and Loughborough sits at 10 and Lancaster 11 on their 2024 table so very much of a muchness on that front.

I think it’s more important that the university is right for you. Personally, I used the league tables to learn of the unis but then did further research to find the right fit for me.

Lancaster was built in the 1960s as one of the comments mention but I find that it has lots of green space as it is surrounded by fields. Saying that it is only a 15/20 min bus journey into the centre of town so it’s still well connected. They also seem to be building new buildings all the time so the facilities are very good.

My top tip would be to visit the universities if you can. I found that I could do a lot of research online but it wasn’t until I visited the unis that things really began to fall into place for me - it really helped solidify my choice.

Hope that helps!

Tineke
Lancaster University Student Ambassador

loughborough's much better in terms of employment and social life and uni life in general. Its also 7th
Reply 5

Employers generally are not savy to the point they look at where you went. Equally pretty much all employers worth their salt will give you some sort of coding / skills test to find out what you actually know rather than rely on the colour of your tie.

For me, I would ask myself, am I going to take advantage of the myriad of excellent sporting clubs and activities on offer at Loughborough or do I want to live on the edge of a pretty but small town within sight of the stunning Lake District?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending