The Student Room Group

Taking your horse to university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helsbels24601
I've been seriously thinking about the same thing! I'm going to be doing a zoology course in september and don't have a clue whether to take him with me (and for those talking about 'how the other side live', actually, I live in a town which is pretty much all council estate, go to state school, and have a horse. That's where all of my money goes, can't afford anything else! It's just about making a decision to pursue something you love and have/look after someone you love :smile:

Agree with you :smile: those who talk about 'the other side' have no idea of the sacrifices we make...

Anyhow - which uni are you going to? I would like to take my horse...
Original post by ClaireFad
Agree with you :smile: those who talk about 'the other side' have no idea of the sacrifices we make...

Anyhow - which uni are you going to? I would like to take my horse...

Not sure yet... I haven't chosen my top ones. Nottingham Trent is looking good (they have an onsite equestrian centre!) but I love Salford too
does anyone have any suggestions for livery around Durham?

Did you find any yards? I know there's quite a few, ive been looking for ones in Durham/Newcastle way
Original post by Jessicalw23
Did you find any yards? I know there's quite a few, ive been looking for ones in Durham/Newcastle way

http://www.holmsidehallequestrian.co.uk/

this looks amazing, but might work out a bit pricey. Is Newcastle fairly close to Durham University. Also, are you looking to do DIY?
http://www.holmsidehallequestrian.co.uk/

this looks amazing, but might work out a bit pricey. Is Newcastle fairly close to Durham University. Also, are you looking to do DIY?

Holmside hall sounds good, I know they hold quite a few competitions. Have you looked at mill house riding centre too? No it's a bit of a drive, I'm currently in Middlesbrough so Durham falls in between home and uni. Would probably have her on part livery if it was in Durham, there's quite a few yards around Newcastle I might take a look at though if she comes with me. I'll have to see what happens
Holmside hall sounds good, I know they hold quite a few competitions. Have you looked at mill house riding centre too? No it's a bit of a drive, I'm currently in Middlesbrough so Durham falls in between home and uni. Would probably have her on part livery if it was in Durham, there's quite a few yards around Newcastle I might take a look at though if she comes with me. I'll have to see what happens

I'll take a look at Mill House - thanks :smile: would prefer not to drive far - would like to spend that time working rather...

Which Uni are you at? (Forgive my ignorance if Middlesbrough is a Uni!)
I'll take a look at Mill House - thanks :smile: would prefer not to drive far - would like to spend that time working rather...

Which Uni are you at? (Forgive my ignorance if Middlesbrough is a Uni!)

I'm going to be going to Northumbria in September :smile:
Reply 27
As a Londoner one does not know what a 'horse' is. So I have never had this issue.
#JustEtonThings
Just wondering if anyone has taken their horse and put them on livery nearby to the university they're studying at away from home? If you have, how have you found it?

As hard as it was, I left my post back home :frown: i know someone who has a horse on part livery, but she doesn't have the time to do anything other than her degree or her horse so full livery would be better except then you don't see your horse. It sucks but id recommend just going home frequently and seeing if someone who owns a horse near you wants help
Original post by Student403
#JustEtonThings

:rofl:

For Eton the thread title is "Taking your pig to university"
Original post by Zargabaath
:rofl:

For Eton the thread title is "Taking your pig to university"

Nah the pig thing would be #JustCameronThings
Original post by Student403
Nah the pig thing would be #JustCameronThings

Is this the thing where David Cameron admitted putting his d..k
in a pigs mouth?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Is this the thing where David Cameron admitted putting his d..k
in a pigs mouth?

:giggle:
I took my talking donkey to university.
Im sorry but all those saying that they own a horse and don't have a lot money....really? I'm pretty sure your view of poor and mine are very different things...
(edited 8 years ago)
Me, I would hire a local stable.

Neigh problem, that is the mane idea. Better hoof it quickly before you lose a good deal. Pony up the cash, don't horse around or delay.
are you taking your pony to uni?
I'm hoping to take my horse to uni as I have nobody to look after him at home but I don't know what to do in the holidays I'd take him home for summers but Christmas and Easter maybe more difficult to find a yard at home to keep him at
Original post by Katealiceh
I'm hoping to take my horse to uni as I have nobody to look after him at home but I don't know what to do in the holidays I'd take him home for summers but Christmas and Easter maybe more difficult to find a yard at home to keep him at

You could always find somewhere that'd do full livery as a one off whilst you're away if you could afford it for the shorter holidays? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest