The Student Room Group

Bristol vs Surrey

I (35f) have been accepted into the VetMed program at both the University of Bristol and the University of Surrey. As a geriatric, international student I am not interested in nightlife as I like to go to bed at a reasonable hour, and will be spending most of my time studying. I'm also an avid equestrian and will be moving my horses to the UK from Canada.

For anyone who has experience with/at both universities which would be your preference and why?

Also, for anyone already in the VetMed program. What does your day to day look like?

Does anyone work (aside from EMS) while completing the VetMed program? My partner will be the sole bread winner while at university and while I would like to work to help with bills, I don't know if this will be possible and obtaining this degree with passing grades is my 1st priority.

Thanks!
Reply 1
You say you’re moving your horses over here. Firstly I’d suggest you check out the costs of livery (unless you intend to purchase a property with land/stables etc)
I would say Bristol area is cheaper than Surrey but both places are expensive, especially if you need full livery rather than DIY. My daughter (now a qualified vet and working in an equine practice) sold her horses when she went to university as she just wouldn’t have had time for them and they would have been wasted (they were showjumpers)
Original post by rgsporthorses
I (35f) have been accepted into the VetMed program at both the University of Bristol and the University of Surrey. As a geriatric, international student I am not interested in nightlife as I like to go to bed at a reasonable hour, and will be spending most of my time studying. I'm also an avid equestrian and will be moving my horses to the UK from Canada.

For anyone who has experience with/at both universities which would be your preference and why?

Also, for anyone already in the VetMed program. What does your day to day look like?

Does anyone work (aside from EMS) while completing the VetMed program? My partner will be the sole bread winner while at university and while I would like to work to help with bills, I don't know if this will be possible and obtaining this degree with passing grades is my 1st priority.

Thanks!

Hi there!

Wishing you the best of luck with the move!

You can contact current Vet Med students through this link, which takes you to Surrey's Unibuddy. You can ask them any questions you have about the course and student life.

What I can say is that Guildford is a great town to live in, and very close to London for convenience. It is a quiet and pleasant location to live in as a student, whilst still offering all amenities we look for, such as a vibrant high street and centrally located campus.

I hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
You will be able to find livery for horses in the area around the Langford campus at Bristol. There are also a ready supply of veterinary practices and farms in the area.

If you want a quieter life you can ask for accommodation with other mature students, it's no big deal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending