The Student Room Group

The Unlikely Medic

Scroll to see replies

AM I STILL ALIVE? AM I STILL STUDYING?
The answer to both those questions.... YES!
Yeah I haven't updated this blog in what seems like eternity, but if it makes it any better... I have been working my hypothetical bum off.
BIOLOGY:
Revision for bio is going well, finished all the current spec papers twice and I've achieved full ums in all of them so far (not as impressive at it sounds, the grade boundaries for aqa bio are ridiculously low, but I aint complaining.) I've also done all the papers which have questions relevant to my current spec since 2002, so yeah... a lot of papers. But if there is such thing as peaking too early, I've probably done that... I finished all the papers from 2002 to 2010 about 2/3 months ago, don't know how much of it is still in my mind...

Chemistry:
Chemistry has been the surprise package this year.. surprisingly I'm enjoying working through the papers.. currently I'm going through all the old spec papers for chem4 and chem5 from 2002, and I actually enjoy some of the longer questions in the section B's, really makes you think unlike most of the current papers. Before starting these papers, I completed all the questions by topic like I did for biology, ensuring I consolidated my knowledge before moving onto full papers. But Chem2 is a different story.... I've maybe spent a few hours this year revising for it... in total... and this resit is pretty soon... My plan is to try and do all the current spec papers in the two days before the exams and hopefully it shouldn't be too bad as I actually get chemistry now, unlike last year.

Maths:
Now the devil which is math. I've completed all the mechanics papers which is my closest exam, but I'm still not convinced I've grasped enough understanding for 95-100% which is what I ideally want in M1 as in general, it's not a bad module as far as a levels go. C3 I'm getting by, just the odd silly mistakes and transformations of graphs which seem to be my downfall. C4... some of the questions... I just really need to dedicate a day to rinsing integration questions, having said that I've done at least 10+ papers in each module. My C1 and C2 resits went so well thankfully! C1 was harder than the past papers, but A2 maths made it more bearable and C2... well that was just a present from edexcel, so hopefully around 90 ums in c1 and 100 in c2, that's ALOT better than I did last year haha...

Summary:
I'm content with my revision pace and I'm just finishing papers after papers, which is exactly where I wanted to be at this time of the year, the period of learning and making notes in a long way back in the past. Last year I didn't do a single past paper for any of my a level exams, just read the textbook (didn't even make notes) and went through papers on my computer with the markscheme up at the same time, so compared to last year, a slight improvement haha...
Hello hello hello, its over! My final exam (edexcel c4) was today, it was the exam I was least prepared for, but surprisingly, it went alright.... The stress of results day is far away, but I hope to be able to share happy news with you guys in August. My grow your grades thread wasn't as detailed as I hoped it would be, but hey, better than nothing right?
So In summary.... As I mentioned earlier, I flopped AS, getting BCCD. I did work incredibly hard this year and the exams went much better than last year (it kinda had to).

Biology:
My favourite subject this year, It helped me fall back in love with studying (apart from the ecology ****, yuck!) I resat the Bio empa which went well, I got an E in it last year which is the only reason I got a B at AS rather than an A. Biol4 and Biol5 went well. I think pretty much everyone liked biol4, so I'm hoping the grade boundaries to do not suddenly decide to peak this year. And Biol5... that ions essay, my desk rose when I read that title, and my hand was on fire after that exam :') Hoping for an A*... hoping....

Chemistry:
Chemistry... Unlike last year when I didn't understand a single thing, I loved it and rather than just memorizing random words from a text book, I understood chemistry and loved applying my knowledge in past paper questions. I got a C in AS, I resat the chem2 exam, it should've gone a lot better... And chem4.. well that was probably my most dissapointing exam, I was really hoping to get 120 ums in it, but aqa decided to abuse our year, most definitely the hardest a level chemistry exam there's been, and trust me, I did all the chem4 papers from june 2002 to june 2015. Still it wasn't insanely hard, just lots of application questions and I panicked, could've done a lot better. But chem 5, wow, that was a gift, maybe just enough to make up for that bomb of an exam that was chem4. I put a lot of work into chemistry, so I would be dissapointed if I didn't get the A*, but I wouldn't be shocked if I didn't after chem4, but an A wouldn't be the end of the world, especially when compared to my last year's results :')

Maths:
Maths.. my weakness. In hindsight I don't know why I chose it, I think I would've enjoyed psychology, but I think the idea of doing the 'asian equation' was too tempting. Well last year I got jussst about got a C at AS. I resat C1 and C2, which went very well indeed. That certainly helped my confidence going into my a2 exams (until it was shortly crushed by chem4). I think/hope I managed to get 90/100 ums in those two resits, and considering I got 49 ums (out of 100) in C2 last year isn't bad at all :') Mechanics went well too, hopefully around 90ums. C3 was alright, maybe around 80 ums. Then it finished today.. c4. I was physically sick in the morning before the exam because of nerves, but It went much better than I expected, maybe 80 ums, but I figured out I only needed around a C in C4 to get an A in A level maths overall (if my math is correct, which wouldn't be a massive surprise if it isn't). I was never realistically going to get an A* in math, but an A... hopefully.

So if anyone wants some advice after/during/before results day I'd be happy to help :smile: And the next time I update this thread, I can show you guys some nice grades :biggrin:
GUYS!!!! I DID IT!!! DID THE SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE! Sorry for the caps, just too excited, I opened the results with my family on the dining room, and everyone including me was in tears, but unlike last year, they were tears of joy.

From BCC -> A*AA.

I'm elated to say the least. If anyone wants any advice or wants a breakdown of my marks/resit please don't hesitate to ask, I'll be more than happy to help. Going to apply for medicine this year, who thought I'd be saying that after those AS results eh?
Original post by Ninjakam119
GUYS!!!! I DID IT!!! DID THE SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE! Sorry for the caps, just too excited, I opened the results with my family on the dining room, and everyone including me was in tears, but unlike last year, they were tears of joy.

From BCC -> A*AA.

I'm elated to say the least. If anyone wants any advice or wants a breakdown of my marks/resit please don't hesitate to ask, I'll be more than happy to help. Going to apply for medicine this year, who thought I'd be saying that after those AS results eh?

OMG that's amazing well done, very inspirational :smile:

From BCC -> A*AA.

Congratulations! You're a testament of how hard work and sheer determination can get you the results you want. A very well deserved grade, well done :smile:. Did you apply for Medicine at all this year or will this year be your first time applying?
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Congratulations! You're a testament of how hard work and sheer determination can get you the results you want. A very well deserved grade, well done :smile:. Did you apply for Medicine at all this year or will this year be your first time applying?

Thank you so much! I didn't bother applying last year as they would've laughed at my AS grades haha, but this will be the first time.
Thank you so much! I didn't bother applying last year as they would've laughed at my AS grades haha, but this will be the first time.

Will you be taking a gap year for experience and bmat/ukcat?

From BCC -> A*AA.

Congratulations! All that hard work and determination more than payed off, best of luck with the applications :smile:

From BCC -> A*AA.

Insane. Congrats and best of luck with your application, admissions exams etc. :h:
Hey there people! So I thought I'd start off by giving a brief introduction. I'm student studying A2 at the moment and basically I did well in GCSE's without putting any work into them, which proved to be my downfall as I went into AS's with the same mentality, thus performing quite badly... So I had to decide whether to apply for a course I didn't want to do, or smash my A2 exams to get the grades I need for my dream goal... to become a medical student. I got 5A*s and 10As at GCSE but got BCCD at AS.
So I'm hoping for A*A*A (A*AA more realistically (I know realistic isn't the word I should be using :laugh:)
If someone told me they got the same AS grades as me and they still wanted to do medicine, I would say they're disillusion and A/A*s are beyond their reach. But what an achievement if I can do it.
Thanks for reading and I hope on the 18th of August I'll be able to complete my story of the unlikely medic, or at least start a new chapter.

Hey,
What were you predicted at A2 ? if you dont mind me asking
Hi! I'd love to hear about your full A-level breakdown - raw marks, UMS etc :wink:
Original post by money-for-all
Hey,
What were you predicted at A2 ? if you dont mind me asking

I was predicted BCC in Bio, Chemistry and Math. They wouldn't predict me any higher so I knew there wasn't much point in my applying in that UCAS cycle.
Congratulations, that's amazing 😊
Original post by fizzywaterbottle
Hi! I'd love to hear about your full A-level breakdown - raw marks, UMS etc :wink:

Hi there! Sure, I only got the ums scores on my grade slip so it would be hard to tell you my exact raw scores.

Resits:
Core 1- 70 to 87 (100) ums
Core 2- 48 to 97 (100) ums
Bio 3x- 30 to 58 (60) ums
Chem2- 88 to 114 (140) ums

Math:
Core 3- 92/100
Core 4- 71/100
Mechanics- 87/100

Chemistry:
Chem4- 91/120
Chem5 113/120
Chem6x- 60/60

Biology:
Biol4- 98/100
Biol5- 140/140
Biol6x- 50/60

Don't hesitate to ask if you want me to post my thoughts or advice for a particular module(s).

From BCC -> A*AA.

Hi just wanted to say well done!! I had a similar goal in mind as well but didn't quite make it: BBBc --> A*AB (B in biology :frown:) I'm trying to wrap my head around what I should do now as I still really want to apply for medicine but well done once again
Original post by angoranimi
Hi just wanted to say well done!! I had a similar goal in mind as well but didn't quite make it: BBBc --> A*AB (B in biology :frown:) I'm trying to wrap my head around what I should do now as I still really want to apply for medicine but well done once again

Thanks and congrats on your results as well! That's pretty darn good transformation! I don't really know all the options as I myself am applying for the first time this year. But you could start a degree in a science subject such as biomed (with those grades I'm pretty sure many unis would love to snap you up) and you can try transferring to a medicine degree after the first year? Another option could be to resit a module or two for biology to get that upto an A/A* then apply? I was half expecting not to make the grades despite the work I put in this year so I was considering the possibility of studying medicine in Europe, that may be worth a look, its pretty cheap there compared to England as well. You need a minimum of B's I think, so you'll be more than qualified.

From BCC -> A*AA.

congrats on the grades wow!! Same here with being a gap year applicant going for med. With the resits you did, how did u enter them on UCAS? I did one resit and so I've entered my subject twice in AS with my diff grades for my 2015 sitting as well as 2016 sitting and not too sure if thats correct...
Original post by lemonadeQ98
congrats on the grades wow!! Same here with being a gap year applicant going for med. With the resits you did, how did u enter them on UCAS? I did one resit and so I've entered my subject twice in AS with my diff grades for my 2015 sitting as well as 2016 sitting and not too sure if thats correct...

Thanks. To be honest I'm not sure how to enter the resits properly, I'm going to ask my teacher or UCAS about it and will let you know :smile:
I've decided to keep updating my thread despite me not having any more exams to revise for, but my ultimate goal was to become a medic student, so I'll keep you up to date with my struggles.

So I'm taking a gap year now. I've decided to apply to Leicester, Cardiff, Birmingham and Liverpool with UCL biomed being my 5th option. During my gap year I'm going to continue to volunteer in my local care home and may get a paid job. I've also organised to go to Georgia for some volunteering later in the year.

So yeah, I'll update my blog and hopefully I get to let you know about some interviews and the dream: some unconditional offers.
I've decided to keep updating my thread despite me not having any more exams to revise for, but my ultimate goal was to become a medic student, so I'll keep you up to date with my struggles.

So I'm taking a gap year now. I've decided to apply to Leicester, Cardiff, Birmingham and Liverpool with UCL biomed being my 5th option. During my gap year I'm going to continue to volunteer in my local care home and may get a paid job. I've also organised to go to Georgia for some volunteering later in the year.

So yeah, I'll update my blog and hopefully I get to let you know about some interviews and the dream: some unconditional offers.

Really inspiration blog, I feel like my entire application process everyone's been doubting me and my ability to achieve AAA. Hopefully I can pull it together in the end like you did! Any advice for bio and Chem? How many past papers did you do a week? And did you have a job whilst doing all this or not- just curious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending