The Student Room Group

HRM1999's A level study journey!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I'M BACK!! So sorry I've missed the past few weeks; I've been pretty busy!

I won't bother updating you on the weeks before half term that I missed as nothing much happened :smile:

Last week (28th March-2nd April) I was in France (Lourdes) helping out with HCPT which is a children's pilgrimage trust (I'm not Catholic myself but thought the trip would be beneficial, which it was!). So couldn't actually do any studying (shame!)..I felt a little anxious at times because I wasn't going to do any revision but I had been looking forward to the trip since September!

So far I've been chilling but did go into school this morning for a composition workshop which resulted in my composition for music only having 4 bars left to finish then go over the whole piece (which won't take long I'm hoping :biggrin: I also got some music essays back and got 17/18, 18/18 and 9/10 which I was ecstatic with! Hopefully I can get those marks in the exam!

Tomorrow I plan to revise two pieces but I may only get one done! I'm so stressed now but I think when I get back I'll be ready to fully focus on revision!

Feel free to leave me a rep or comment if you want :smile:
Reply 21
Week 10 (I think, apologies for missing out the weeks before last!) Outlining my revision!

My plan for revision is to track which sessions I do, what I do and how long for. E.g. I do Bach Sarabande and Gigue set work for 25 minutes, have a 5 minute break then do another 25 minutes etc. and after the 2/3 'sessions' I have 10 minutes break in which I log what I've done, then go back to it. I have also used this for doing schoolwork; I find it very satisfying to see how much effort I'm putting in and I try and refrain from distractions (which has worked so far!).
It may sound unorganised but I've found it's working and I'm getting things done. (Apparently I can't attach a screenshot of my spreadsheet but I've used Excel on Windows 10 to create a cell for every day from now until the day before my exam (which I am likely to very little to none on), a column for the total amount of time spent revising that day (or studying) and then space to write which subjects I do!).

Hope this makes sense! If not, just let me know and I'll try and show you :smile:

Full weekly update on Friday (if I remember!) :smile: Byee
Reply 22
Full week 10 update (only a day late haha) 11th to 15th April (Monday was an inset day)

I've been really getting on with my revision this week but I'm worried that it isn't going to go in! I found using flashcards pointless as I just can't remember things under pressure like that (I get the fact that exams put you under pressure but you don't have to answer the questions in 10 seconds like flashcards!) and used that method for my mocks and came out with a B/A in Soc and an E in music... I will give them another go though because it's better to attempt to use multiple methods of revision than just one and failing.

We've been told by my music teacher at school that we should focus on learning our essays we've written this year and then listening to the pieces and making notes, which I have been doing! It's 5 weeks on Monday until the exam and ngl I am absolutely petrified....I do have less pressure on this exam though.... if I do well in my sleeve note exam (which is just an hour writing about our compositions and we are allowed our notes and composition in it). I have already got the mark back from my recital which was 36/40 (an A grade, if it doesn't change) which means a lot less pressure!
I've managed to finish my composition (although I may still tweek it before we send it off) which is a sigh of relief!

Apologies for this being so music-focused but that is my priority at the moment, and I am treating myself after doing revision so at the moment, all is good! I just want the exam to go!

Hope you're all getting on okay with revision and see you next week!
Original post by HRM1999

Feel free to leave me a rep or comment if you want :smile:

Cheeky hint??? :smile:

Original post by HRM1999
Full week 10 update (only a day late haha) 11th to 15th April (Monday was an inset day)

I've been really getting on with my revision this week but I'm worried that it isn't going to go in! I found using flashcards pointless as I just can't remember things under pressure like that (I get the fact that exams put you under pressure but you don't have to answer the questions in 10 seconds like flashcards!) and used that method for my mocks and came out with a B/A in Soc and an E in music... I will give them another go though because it's better to attempt to use multiple methods of revision than just one and failing.

We've been told by my music teacher at school that we should focus on learning our essays we've written this year and then listening to the pieces and making notes, which I have been doing! It's 5 weeks on Monday until the exam and ngl I am absolutely petrified....I do have less pressure on this exam though.... if I do well in my sleeve note exam (which is just an hour writing about our compositions and we are allowed our notes and composition in it). I have already got the mark back from my recital which was 36/40 (an A grade, if it doesn't change) which means a lot less pressure!
I've managed to finish my composition (although I may still tweek it before we send it off) which is a sigh of relief!

Apologies for this being so music-focused but that is my priority at the moment, and I am treating myself after doing revision so at the moment, all is good! I just want the exam to go!

Hope you're all getting on okay with revision and see you next week!

Have you tried using questions on flashcards and perfect answers on the back? I found that this helped me more when I started doing it but I was probably making flashcards wrong in the first place!

You be music focused! I'm only doing GCSE music but the stress of trying to finish everything is understandable... Congrats on your recital mark and I hope your composition is going well!!
Reply 24
WOW! It's been 4 months since I updated my blog here! I am so sorry for anyone who has been waiting for the updates! I got very tied up with things and something had to give so I decided to take a break from TSR for a while!

Anyway, I got my AS Music results and......I GOT A B!! I was not expecting that at all, nor were my teachers or family (especially as my teachers predicted me a D in my last report!). I am/was overwhelmed and shows that if you work hard enough, you can get the results. I did get an E in the listening part of the course, however because my composition and recital marks were B and A respectfully, I would've had to have gotten a U to bring the grade down. Plus the listening element is much harder! This is now my motivation for me to make sure I can continue working like this to get a B next year (or even an A as I am going to try a different revision technique as that is what is letting me down in my exams...I got two Es in my Sociology mocks at the end of the year and a C in History which I was disappointed with!).

I have just today started writing my EPQ (5000 words, yay) and I still have all my summer work to do, flute practice and my job so I am getting stressed again but I have seen my doctor and am going to get help on how to manage my anxiety and this stress from the Mental Health Service (they'll ring up and ask me questions which will be fun as I hate talking on the phone!).

I am determined to get organised and succeed this year. I was not prepared for the jump from GCSE to A level and I think I couldn't have done more, I believe my school could've prepared us better by teaching us what a levels are like in our PSHEE lessons or even assemblies.

I hope any GCSE/new A level students are prepared for sixth form, as I have still got work from the end of last year to complete and my advice to you would be to stay on top of your work; get it done as soon as you can so you're not stressed in the summer that you have some stuff missing....like myself and some of my frieds are!

I will do updates on here when I can and feel well enough to so please do keep reading! (And drop me a message if I've not updated in a while!) I hope GCSE/A level peeps all got/will get the results you want and need!

Stay safe everyone :smile:
Reply 25
WOW! It's been 4 months since I updated my blog here! I am so sorry for anyone who has been waiting for the updates! I got very tied up with things and something had to give so I decided to take a break from TSR for a while!

Anyway, I got my AS Music results and......I GOT A B!! I was not expecting that at all, nor were my teachers or family (especially as my teachers predicted me a D in my last report!). I am/was overwhelmed and shows that if you work hard enough, you can get the results. I did get an E in the listening part of the course, however because my composition and recital marks were B and A respectfully, I would've had to have gotten a U to bring the grade down. Plus the listening element is much harder! This is now my motivation for me to make sure I can continue working like this to get a B next year (or even an A as I am going to try a different revision technique as that is what is letting me down in my exams...I got two Es in my Sociology mocks at the end of the year and a C in History which I was disappointed with!).

I have just today started writing my EPQ (5000 words, yay) and I still have all my summer work to do, flute practice and my job so I am getting stressed again but I have seen my doctor and am going to get help on how to manage my anxiety and this stress from the Mental Health Service (they'll ring up and ask me questions which will be fun as I hate talking on the phone!).

I am determined to get organised and succeed this year. I was not prepared for the jump from GCSE to A level and I think I couldn't have done more, I believe my school could've prepared us better by teaching us what a levels are like in our PSHEE lessons or even assemblies.

I hope any GCSE/new A level students are prepared for sixth form, as I have still got work from the end of last year to complete and my advice to you would be to stay on top of your work; get it done as soon as you can so you're not stressed in the summer that you have some stuff missing....like myself and some of my frieds are!

I will do updates on here when I can and feel well enough to so please do keep reading! (And drop me a message if I've not updated in a while!) I hope GCSE/A level peeps all got/will get the results you want and need!

Stay safe everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending