The Student Room Group

Year 12s: Are you considering any of the following after year 13?

This poll is closed

Year 12s: Are you considering any of the following after year 13?

Going to University60%
Apprenticeship4%
Armed Forces5%
Degree Apprenticeship13%
Gap Year17%
Straight into Employment1%
Other (tell us more about your answer in the comments)1%
Total votes: 241
Hey Year 12's :woo:

Now that you're a little more settled into the new school year, and year 13 is on the horizon :clap2: it's natural to start to think about what you'll be moving on to do next.

So, this is why we want to hear from you! - are any of these options on your radar after year 13? Join the discussion and tell us what you're considering, even if you have no solid plans in place (there is still plenty of time!) let us know what you might be interested in for the next steps in your journey!
It is disappointing that society still deems university as essential (parents etc). Most graduates are unemployed are they not? Places should be capped by market demands or just scrap universities and have apprenticeships for absolutely everything.
Original post by random_matt
It is disappointing that society still deems university as essential (parents etc). Most graduates are unemployed are they not? Places should be capped by market demands or just scrap universities and have apprenticeships for absolutely everything.

"most graduates are unemployed"? nope https://explore-education-statistics.service.gov.uk/find-statistics/graduate-labour-markets
Graduate unemployment rates are at 2.5% compared to 4.8% for non-graduates (the gap is closer for young people but still significant 4.3% for graduates v 5.7% for non-graduates).

The most recent stats show around 100k students starting university or higher level apprenticeships but the completion rate for these schemes is only a smidge over 50%
Compared to 1.3m students starting a university level course at a university or FE college, 761k at undergraduate level with completion rates averaging out at around 85%

Employers aren't offering apprenticeships in anything like the quantity required to replace university study - and when they do they're frequently offering a poor experience meaning half of the people starting drop out.
Original post by CamembertPaws
Hey Year 12's :woo:

Now that you're a little more settled into the new school year, and year 13 is on the horizon :clap2: it's natural to start to think about what you'll be moving on to do next.

So, this is why we want to hear from you! - are any of these options on your radar after year 13? Join the discussion and tell us what you're considering, even if you have no solid plans in place (there is still plenty of time!) let us know what you might be interested in for the next steps in your journey!

I'm a convert to Muslim although my parents don't know it yet and when I leave school I really want to go to a good Muslim university but haven't been able to find out about one yet. Does anyone have any ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending