The Student Room Group

GMG Blog (featuring intermittent procrastination)

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

This is not really an update but I'd just like to share my Malaria flow chart with you :colondollar:

:ta:
23/02/2016

Hi there fellow students! :headbang:

I have been doing some investigating, and I have found that there are many different types of studying I've not tried.:holmes: I'm now challenging myself to do at least one other 'different' strategy for revision each session!

At the end of this little experiment I will rate them!
:king1: 1st Place!
:king2: 2nd Place!
:king3: 3rd Place!
:llama: MROOF Place! (a special, awesome but unhelpful category)

I'm actually classed as an Aural learner, but I feel there are very few Auditory techniques I can use to study on my own and I'm too shy to present things to other people.:music: Most people tend to be a mix so I'll try a few things and see how they go.

Different things I've tried so far:
:turtle:Mindmapping - Chemical Plant Defences
:turtle:Comparing and Contrasting - Active and Passive Plant Defences
:turtle:Flashcards - Elements of Life Definition Flashcards
:turtle:Word Associations - Van der Waal sounds like the song Wonderwall by Oasis

What different ways of studying have you tried? Lemmie know :smile:

Ta!
01/03/2016

Hiya,

I'm in a bit of a studying slump at the moment :frown: :oops:My work life is taking over and I feel like a really don't have a lot of time, especially on top of being ill recently.:sick:

I did my Decision 1 mock exam today and am not entirely confident about how it went so I guess I just need to wait and see.:shot:

Since I last spoke I did a June 13 D1 paper, three lots of Biology questions and some Chemistry questions. :nyan:
It's not much I know but I'm going to try and do more this month. It's the first so that means a whole new month to revamp my revision and give me that extra poke in the butt.:poke:

:party::party::party:
Original post by Bhansongal98
23/02/2016
I'm actually classed as an Aural learner, but I feel there are very few Auditory techniques I can use to study on my own and I'm too shy to present things to other people.:music: Most people tend to be a mix so I'll try a few things and see how they go.

You know the whole auditory learner, Kinaesthetic learner and visual learner is just a myth. I mean you couldn't listen to someone drive a car and be able to drive, You learn by actually practising it, but it doesn't make you a kinaesthetic learner. You are more likely to learn something by using the appropriate method for the appropriate context. So when your revising use different methods for the different topics. Like for Biology you could visually learn using a mindmap but for maths you have to practise the sums over and over again.
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
You know the whole auditory learner, Kinaesthetic learner and visual learner is just a myth. I mean you couldn't listen to someone drive a car and be able to drive, You learn by actually practising it, but it doesn't make you a kinaesthetic learner. You are more likely to learn something by using the appropriate method for the appropriate context. So when your revising use different methods for the different topics. Like for Biology you could visually learn using a mindmap but for maths you have to practise the sums over and over again.

Are you refering to Dale's cone of learning?

And no I don't know if the Auditory/Visual/Kinaesthetic learner theory is right or wrong, but I do think that different people have different prefered methods of study and different people absorb information differently. I agree with you that there is definately no substitute for trying things out yourself though!

I feel that methods like mindmapping and making notes are all good for actually learning/relearning the context and personally I prefer to do something like this before I attempt questions, just to remind myself of the material and so that I'm not always looking blankly at the question, even for maths :smile:
07/03/2016

I've done my D1 mock exam and will hopefully be getting the results in an hour! *fingers crossed* :excited:

I've felt myself loosing steam with the revision recently so here's what I'm going to do about it:
:blushing: Do some maths revision on my maths
:blushing: Revise biology with my studybuddy ImagineCats
:blushing: Revise chemistry from question papers with my tutor
:blushing: Create a revision timetable for the mini comp on GYG :colondollar:

I've done some biology notes that I's like to share with you so I will link those tonight when I get home and (hopefully) share my mock result :rolleyes:
15/03/2016

Heyo,

I got a D in my Decision 1 mock so I'm feeling a bit crushed right now because I studied so hard and am not sure I'm getting anywhere with it :nopity:Oh well life goes on! I know this might be counter productive, but I've been focusing on my other subjects for a bit while my confidence for maths is restored :redface:

So here's some biology notes for you guys to sink your teeth into:
:tongue: Cell division notes
:tongue: Gas Exchange notes
:tongue: I also did a bunch of questions and have been chatting with the lovely imaginecats!

I also made this! To streamline my revision so I don't end up just focusing on the ones I like :angry:

:parrot::parrot::parrot:Greetings!:parrot::parrot::parrot:
It's been a long old time but I'm still trying my best. I have gotten my wiggle on for the upcoming exams and am revising super hard. I've just finished making notes on the entire of my biology syllabus and I will link when I've compiled them all. I've been doing core 2 papers for maths and have gone up in score each time from 61% on my first paper to 65% to 73% to 85% on the most recent one. I'm halfway through another core 2 paper as we speak! :biggrin:I've got goals too, and I've set them with my friend Ryan from college so he will definitely be holding me accountable for them!Four Weeks till my exams! :eek::gasp::headfire:
But it's okay because I have it sorted!
:lies:

The truth is, I've been feeling really blue recently and skipping a couple of days of college because of it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when exams come. Yesterday I got up on time and was ready early but I had this looming dark cloud of college over me, and that cloud told me that I would be late. No matter what I did, I would be late. And then I'd be asked why I was late and have to take my seat with my classmates staring at me and I didn't think I could deal with that. I went to a cafe before college started, ordered a bacon roll and a latte, and told myself I'd feel better once I was done. I didn't. So I went to work and did my practise papers in the staff room, because I found that less intimidating. Anyone else felt like this with the exams approaching?
:parrot::parrot::parrot::goodluck::parrot::parrot::parrot:
28/04/2016
Hiya!:cool:

Just a quick update to show you some more revision resources I've made. I want to do the mini-competition so I thought I'd finish doing these biology notes and compile them into a single document of awesome :cool:

Anyway here they are:

:dolphin: 4.3 Classification & Evolution notes
:dolphin: 4.1 Communicable Disease notes
:dolphin: 3.3 Transport in Plants notes
:dolphin: Funky reactions of molecules to UV light

I know I've been disapointing but I am still plugging away :rolleyes:
16/05/16

Greetings,

Just a short post to say that my maths is going particularly well today. I've done two papers , a core 1 and a core 2 and got 94% and 92% respectively! :biggrin: very happy with these results and I hope to replicate them in the real exam on Wednesday. Fingers crossed!

Now I'm going to practise some chemistry questions from my text book!

I hope everything is coming together for everyone elses exams. Just a few days/weeks to go now! Keep at it! Let's give it one last push :biggrin:
Original post by Bhansongal98
I've never made a blog on here before but I think's time I started.

Hello!
This year I take my AS Exams in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I knew it was going to be a hard slog when I started but I'm sticking with those subjects. In fact, last year I was so intimidated by how hard A-levels were that I put them off and went to do a vocational course instead :frown:

Here's the targets I'm setting for the long term:
:bee: A - Maths
:bee: A - Chemistry
:bee:

Here's the targets I'm setting for the short term:
--> Consistant Revision (AKA NO NIGHTS OFF!)
--> Thorough revision (nothing missing from notes etc.)
--> Improvement in small test grades over time

Wish me luck!
:evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana::evilbanana:

how did it go?
Original post by albo1111111111
how did it go?

AAB so alright I think :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending