The Student Room Group

1st Yr's road to a First at good RG, and start PhD, at 19, despite ADHD/ASD/BED

As @oliviapope1 and @emm4nuella and @flowersinmyhair requested, I finally made a GYG before the end of November.

@Jieay20 GYG is also good, hope you manage to get into York and get an A*.

I am continuing this from another account @justlearning1469. I decided to stop using it because of procrastination issues and other issues. This one is more flexible for changing email, unlike the other account. I also put too much personal information there.

Goal: 70% or above, every module. Preferably, start a PhD directly from a BSc (most decent unis don't require a masters anyway, so if I apply to strong ones and get in, I'll be good).

At least I managed to get the grade skip I've wanted since I was little. I will not drop out. I will manage this.

Any questions about A-level, uni, going to uni early, exams early, life in general, please feel free to ask me here, or in my DMs (or both).
(edited 4 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ActiveEccentric
As @oliviapope1 and @emm4nuella and @flowersinmyhair requested, I finally made a GYG before the end of November.

I am continuing this from another account @justlearning1469. I decided to stop using it because of procrastination issues and other issues. This one is more flexible for changing email, unlike the other account. I also put too much personal information there.

Goal: 70% or above, every module. Preferably, start a PhD directly from a BSc (most decent unis don't require a masters anyway, so if I apply to strong ones and get in, I'll be good).

At least I managed to get the grade skip I've wanted since I was little. I will not drop out. I will manage this.

hello :smile:!
Original post by emm4nuella
hello :smile:!

Overall, 29 Nov 2023
Today I'll have a tutorial on analysis, then I'll attempt to get changes to the course passed, in a committee. I've prepared a lot, suggestions, agenda items until 5am without much of a break.

It is time to stop procrastinating, to get committee done. I will get it done and something will be passed.

I also have some stuff to catch up on and some assignments for next week.

Time to redeem myself. In ActiveEccentric We Trust!
Reply 3
Ayyyyy glad to see you started your own gyg 😀 cant wait to see you smash it bro
Original post by Jieay20
Ayyyyy glad to see you started your own gyg 😀 cant wait to see you smash it bro

30 Nov 2023
I managed to attend everything although i was half an hour late to a lecture. I don't understand how people can be quite productive.

At least today I got a revision sheet to write down stuff, as a planner. I'll probably finish an assignment by today. Need to be quick, though.

Today's "analysis" lectures are quite... so much A-level Math revision. I've had issues with this weird analysis-calculus course for some time. Luckily I helped eliminate it for year, and have Real Analysis for 1st year, 1st term, as planned. I have some suggestions I'll submit to the module leader.

We are uni students, not A-level students, I don't understand why there needs to be so much revision. If some fail then so be it!

Committee: I passed a goal for options for 2nd year, probably would be for next year. It was diluted from 20 credits to 10 credits, and had fewer options than I was looking for, but it passed. I suppose people do see me as effective, even if I often make social blunders.

To do, today:
Finish an assignment before end of the month
Complete forms for neurodevelopmental stuff and assessments
go to the gym

For later:
Catch up on lectures I've missed due to illness
More extracurriculars
Get therapy for potential BED
Get a black tie (Christmas party)
Revise for computing (Exam before Christmas holiday)
Committee meeting
Develop a 'base' (the core group of loyal supporters/friends who'd be there almost no matter what).
(edited 4 months ago)

Any questions about A-level, uni, going to uni early, exams early, life in general, please feel free to ask me here, or in my DMs (or both).

some other people who would love your gyg: @pineapple1865 @erin11 @rowan_willow @kayleigh_t.27 @thrivingfrog @toothysmile :biggrin:
How are you going to start a PhD at 19? You'll be older than that when you've completed a BSc.
Reply 7

Great to have goals but try not to be defined by them.

You clearly are a very driven and determined individual, but i dont get a strong sense of your needs in what you have posted. Your schedule sounds impressive but also punishing, does it have to be this way? If so why? Why are your difficulties around BED in the Later category?

I am not one to judge as I have already taken a similar journey, competing a doctorate a few years back and feeling a deep sense of faitgue and overwhelm and also a "now what?" afterwards, neglecting my self and my relationships. I can say now on reflection that qualifications are just pieces of paper in drawers, they very rarely give the relief of completion or satisfaction that you might imagine. Nor do they give a sense of happiness in our selves, that comes with looking after ourselves first and foremost. Please dont let your own needs be a footnote.

Greg
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
How are you going to start a PhD at 19? You'll be older than that when you've completed a BSc.

Due to my birthday, and stuff, I'd complete the BSc at 19. Originally (no skipping grades) I would go to uni at 17, now I skipped a year. I promised myself I would go to uni earlier than original plan and I did.

Because of my birthday, if I start the phd early enough after the BSc, I'd start it at 19.

Most math/stats/physics PhDs don't require a masters/integrated 4th year anyway, (Except a few very top ones, and a few other cases) so I'll simply tailor my application to somewhat less top (But still decent) universities and hope for the best.

I don't want to wait for Oxbridge or COWI - I skipped a year because I didn't want to wait just for elite of the elite universities, and before actually skipped 2 before forced to drop out (personal reasons)

My grades aren't perfect but at least I got into a mid RG. Last time (2 years earlier than my expected) I got into a low RG (underachievement vs expectations).

But at this point, as long as my PhD is at least as good as the one in my home institution, I'm OK. I honestly like being the young one.
(edited 4 months ago)
some other people who would love your gyg: @pineapple1865 @erin11 @rowan_willow @kayleigh_t.27 @thrivingfrog @toothysmile :biggrin:

Updated follow list:

@oliviapope1 @emm4nuella @flowersinmyhair @Jieay20 @pineapple1865 @erin11 @rowan_willow @kayleigh_t.27 @thrivingfrog @toothysmile

1 Dec 2023
I at least managed to go to the gym today. I didn't finish an assignment though, or the assessment screening sheets. I'll get them done before the week ends.

I had a binge episode yesterday so I was emotionally burnt out, frustrated, disgusted. Took me a while to finally begin recovering.

Even worse, a group assignment received below 40% (which is an utter failure). I'm utterly surprised, but to be fair I only slept for a couple hours. Besides I'm planning to appeal this. But fortunately this only counts for a few %. I need to focus on the assignments first. This "discrete math" course... (approximately), not great, if I can get 70% then I'm already happy with it. I really don't know what went wrong - my groupmates, myself, or both?

I really need to stop procrastinating and get on with work. I've already failed to do what I've planned to do, for many many many many days. It's the attitude that cost me A* in A-level at 16, and before, A or A* in some a-level at 15.

For some reason I go all out for maybe half a year at most and then just get burnt out. I need to stop this. But unfortunately considering Autism Spectrum Disorder and the highly intense interests... this would be a neurodevelopmental problem.

Overall for the past months, since exams, especially after uni, I didn't do that well, although I had some good victories here and there. I managed to somewhat improve in badminton though so I do have hobbies. For chess I'm also studying some theory. I need to improve tactics, though that's for later and if I do have free time.

To do before the week ends:
Assignment (algebra)
Neurodevelopmental forms to be completed

Essential things to do for December 2023:
Finish both assignments ("algebra" and "calculus")
Committee meeting in mid Dec
Finish neurodevelopmental forms
Go to GP
Make revision plan
Finish computing (Python) exam
Finish the last group lab for discrete math course
Revise for exams
Get stuff confirmed for assessments (ADHD, ASD, BED, maybe others if necessary)
Catch up missed lessons in the past
Work on some problems (for revision, and for mathematical maturity, especially for exam)
Updated follow list:

@oliviapope1 @emm4nuella @flowersinmyhair @Jieay20 @pineapple1865 @erin11 @rowan_willow @kayleigh_t.27 @thrivingfrog @toothysmile

1 Dec 2023
I at least managed to go to the gym today. I didn't finish an assignment though, or the assessment screening sheets. I'll get them done before the week ends.

I had a binge episode yesterday so I was emotionally burnt out, frustrated, disgusted. Took me a while to finally begin recovering.

Even worse, a group assignment received below 40% (which is an utter failure). I'm utterly surprised, but to be fair I only slept for a couple hours. Besides I'm planning to appeal this. But fortunately this only counts for a few %. I need to focus on the assignments first. This "discrete math" course... (approximately), not great, if I can get 70% then I'm already happy with it. I really don't know what went wrong - my groupmates, myself, or both?

I really need to stop procrastinating and get on with work. I've already failed to do what I've planned to do, for many many many many days. It's the attitude that cost me A* in A-level at 16, and before, A or A* in some a-level at 15.

For some reason I go all out for maybe half a year at most and then just get burnt out. I need to stop this. But unfortunately considering Autism Spectrum Disorder and the highly intense interests... this would be a neurodevelopmental problem.

Overall for the past months, since exams, especially after uni, I didn't do that well, although I had some good victories here and there. I managed to somewhat improve in badminton though so I do have hobbies. For chess I'm also studying some theory. I need to improve tactics, though that's for later and if I do have free time.

Assignment (algebra)

Go to GP
Make revision plan
Revise for exams
Work on some problems (for revision, and for mathematical maturity, especially for exam)

good luck with all your work!!
Updated follow list:

1 Dec 2023

Assignment (algebra)

Go to GP
Make revision plan
Revise for exams

you got this <3!
Reply 12
Updated follow list:

1 Dec 2023

Assignment (algebra)

Go to GP
Make revision plan
Revise for exams

Good luck and keep it up :smile:
Good luck! You got this :biggrin:
Original post by erin11
good luck with all your work!!

2 Dec 2023
Bought some winter clothes, did some shopping, although I didn't study much. At least now I can fill in those neurodevelopmental forms (finally), finish an assignment. The deadline is in a few days so I need to be quick.

I've finally managed to finish algebra assignment and working on the calculus assignment. The calculus one is harder than the algebra one. I really wanted algebra to become harder but unfortunately so many people opposed it - it couldn't be managed. I've made suggestions to the course and working on that.

I'll do the laundry, finish the neurodevelopmental forms, submit the emails, submit the emails for other stuff - all by today.

Overall I am kinda behind schedule - need to catch up. I kept missing bit by bit for A-level, systematically. That led to my underachievement in A-level at 15 and 16. I need to stop repeating this cycle if I want to finish the BSc excellently at 19 and start a strong PhD at 19.

Time to block all websites, whatever it takes to stop falling behind!

In ActiveEccentric We Trust!
you got this <3!

3 Dec 2023
I managed to work on calculus and finish algebra assignment, but I'm still stuck. Guess I'll be going out, self-care, finish those neurodevelopmental forms, and try to seek help.

Things are going OK - with shopping, finally finished laundry, etc. so for life, it's fine. I'm paying more for badminton training (hopefully it helps), should help me with the sport and to get in the team.

I suppose I may go out drinking later, but y'know, need to not go out that much so I have more time for study. First, computing.

Time to block things and actually study, catch up on lectures if possible.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by Jieay20
Good luck and keep it up :smile:

4 Dec 2023
Computing assignment over 95% (above even a starred first) and almost finished calculus assignment. I got some help and am reviewing the stuff. I should still be able to get 70%. The goal is at least 70%.

To do ideally by Tue (if not, by Wed):
Calculus assignment
Prepare for discrete math lab
Other stuff for assessments, wellbeing

Need to stop procrastinating! Even when I want to study I am really hyperactive, need to be able to stop this restlessness etc.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by thrivingfrog
Good luck! You got this :biggrin:

5 Dec 2023
For algebra assignment (latest), over 90% although the presentation and format is definitely weird. I must admit I had very poor sleep before that, so that is... somewhat unexpected.

I still haven't finished the neurodevelopmental forms, I have an appointment tomorrow morning to discuss this stuff so I need to stop procrastinating.

Tomorrow, I'll get the assignment done. I already have it basically done, just need to check it, organise it and submit it.

Then I'll study for the discrete math lab, try to get at least 70% for everything.

I probably only studied 70% of the time in the library. A lot of time wasted with restlessness etc. so I may need to just run it all off. Whatever it takes!
8 Dec 2023
I finally managed to finish the calculus assignment, all of the neurodevelopmental forms (and sent), the logic lab, etc. along with other things like buying black tie, laundry etc. though with so much procrastinating.

Today will have quite a few lectures, but hey, at least no procrastination. The algebra assignment is a bit under 90% but oh well, average assignment score is still over 90%. Now I know the percent I should aim for to get 70%, 80%, 90%.

I plan to attend everything. If possible, try to catch up on previous lectures. Also, begin studying for computing test.
(edited 4 months ago)
8 Dec 2023
I finally managed to finish the calculus assignment, all of the neurodevelopmental forms (and sent), the logic lab, etc. along with other things like buying black tie, laundry etc. though with so much procrastinating.

Today will have quite a few lectures, but hey, at least no procrastination. The algebra assignment is a bit under 90% but oh well, average assignment score is still over 90%. Now I know the percent I should aim for to get 70%, 80%, 90%.

I plan to attend everything. If possible, try to catch up on previous lectures. Also, begin studying for computing test.

well done for not procrastinating!! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending