The Student Room Group

Moving the MUN Society aka the Off topic thread

6+6=12

things like the MUN off topic thread were made to create greater inclusivity and more of a community spirit, it was felt that people would feel daunted by a 'proper' MUN and so the OT thread would help them settle in. Instead the OT thread has fermented the growth of cliques within the MUN, bringing some members closer whilst others who want a serious discussion are left out. At the same time it has taken away a lot of the seriousness of the MUN, it provides another avenue for MUN'ers to contribute to, whilst not feeling guilty about neglecting the MUN. To put it simply, people have been participating less to the MUN and chatting more. As such I'm going to propose something controversial, and I know most of you won't like it, but I hope you see that it is for the greater good and to help the MUN survive. I suggest we move the MUN OT thread to Society Chat or Chat (like many other societies do), so that all MUN members can still chat there, but it doesn't clog up the main forum, as such new members can see a wholly serious MUN and know that we are an MUN rather than whatever they think we are right now. Leave this place to be an MUN and begin the revolution!

So?

Please, before making a hasty response, think about the argument being made and come up with an explanation to your response, and preferably one that can be justified.
Reply 1
The MUN Soc is hardly a big problem :rolleyes:. In Chat, it'd just be a pointless entity. I think we have bigger problems to worry about.
Reply 2
brimstone
The MUN Soc is hardly a big problem :rolleyes:. In Chat, it'd just be a pointless entity. I think we have bigger problems to worry about.

ffs, I asked you to think.

read the first post, then come up with a response.

Also, saying we have 'bigger problems' is a defence that is being continuously badied around recently. It really doesnt wash seen as nobody has been able to say exactly what the bigger problem is.
Reply 3
6+6=12
ffs, I asked you to think.

read the first post, then come up with a response.

Also, saying we have 'bigger problems' is a defence that is being continuously badied around recently. It really doesnt wash seen as nobody has been able to say exactly what the bigger problem is.

Oh, name the bigger problems? Erm, we have very few members that actually participate in debates and discussions on a regular basis. Very few members actually vote on anything. There's very little debate going on here. The majority of recent threads/resolutions have been administrative stuff. And there's a lot of talk, but not enough action. :\

An off topic thread with, as Neffy himself said, one or two posts a day, does no one any harm :\
Reply 4
brimstone
Oh, name the bigger problems?

you haven't named the bigger problems, you have named a series of events that in some way contribute to the one bigger problem of a lack of quality and presence in the MUN. But this is good. Now come up with some solutions instead of being a whinger:rolleyes:
Erm, we have very few members that actually participate in debates and discussions on a regular basis.

I take it you would be one of them that don't particiapte on a regular basis? ask yourself why, and that could really help us in solving why others dont participate either.

Very few members actually vote on anything.

Solution? I would suggest PMing all members, which cannot be done at present but will hopefully be enacted in the future.
There's very little debate going on here.

are we not debating now? Debate is a two way thing, if you dont think there is enough going on, start some. If everyone took the same attitude, everybody would debate.
The majority of recent threads/resolutions have been administrative stuff.

dont see how that stops participation, and once again if you dont like it start a thread on the stuff you want to see.
And there's a lot of talk, but not enough action. :\

I'd say there's not enough talk, full stop.

An off topic thread with, as Neffy himself said, one or two posts a day, does no one any harm :\

As I said to him, if its so inactive, why have it in the MUN? surely if nobody uses it that much, nobody will mind if its moved, we can still keep a link somewhere in the forum, but the thread itself changes the image of the MUN.
Reply 5
there is the danger that people will check the chat thread and not the MUN subforum. Of course if we solve the inactivity problem that won't happen. I'm all for moving the thread.
Reply 6
6+6=12
As I said to him, if its so inactive, why have it in the MUN? surely if nobody uses it that much, nobody will mind if its moved, we can still keep a link somewhere in the forum, but the thread itself changes the image of the MUN.

Outside the MUN it serves no purpose. If you want a MUN related thread outside the forum be my guest to start it. If you don't want the current thread which does no harm then let it drift into obscurity like any other thread. I'm not moving it.
Reply 7
Nefarious
Outside the MUN it serves no purpose. If you want a MUN related thread outside the forum be my guest to start it. If you don't want the current thread which does no harm then let it drift into obscurity like any other thread. I'm not moving it.

hardly conducive to encouraging debating in the MUN, you've stifled it at the first opportunity in a completely undemocratic manifestation:s-smilie:
Reply 8
I think the MUN Society is useful in actually keeping the few active members that we've got in the MUN. If it was situated in a totally unaffiliated forum such as Chat then it would kind of remove the whole point in the thread completely. It also serves as a good bond-making session, getting to know the other MUN reps, etc. Removing it would be pointless and it would remove a large attraction and facility for potential and current MUN members alike.
Reply 9
So..we'd lose you, basically :p:
Noooooooooooooooooooo
Not me. I'm too loyal. And ancient. I've been here yonks now. But others, yes.
Reply 11
I´m all for trying to boost MUN activity, but I´m not sure that getting rid of the off topic thread is the way to do that.

Latest

Trending

Trending