The Student Room Group

What's Freshers week like?

Is it going to be how they portray it in America like with stalls where you get to join clubs and there are people around? I've been told that apparently UK Freshers week is basically just an excuse to get drunk 24/7 but I don't drink so I'm kinda worried I won't fit in there. Also on my timetable for Freshers week I have some introductory lectures I have to go to so when I'm not there when I have a 15min break or have lunch will that be the time I spend meeting people??? Also I'm freaking out because I don't live too far from my uni so I decided to stay at home as it's cheaper but people have said you'll only make friends if you live on campus and it's like 10x harder if your living at home so I'm not sure if I'll even make friends. On my timetable I only have scheduled introductory lectures like 3 days that week so does that mean I come in on the days I have nothing for Freshers week, what do I do????
Tell us where you're off to. You can stay anonymous but there'll be someone from your institution on here you can give you some specific info and reassurance.
You don't have to be a drinker - some Uni's don't even have bars these days. Do find time to enrol in a few clubs & societies that not only match your interests but also those that offering something new/different which will allow you to expand your circle and your life experiences.
It is harder to make friends if you stay at home but if you make an effort you should be good.
Original post by Anonymous
Is it going to be how they portray it in America like with stalls where you get to join clubs and there are people around? I've been told that apparently UK Freshers week is basically just an excuse to get drunk 24/7 but I don't drink so I'm kinda worried I won't fit in there. Also on my timetable for Freshers week I have some introductory lectures I have to go to so when I'm not there when I have a 15min break or have lunch will that be the time I spend meeting people??? Also I'm freaking out because I don't live too far from my uni so I decided to stay at home as it's cheaper but people have said you'll only make friends if you live on campus and it's like 10x harder if your living at home so I'm not sure if I'll even make friends. On my timetable I only have scheduled introductory lectures like 3 days that week so does that mean I come in on the days I have nothing for Freshers week, what do I do????

Hi there, most University's freshers week includes a variety of events.

Depending on your University, there may be one or two days where the societies put up their stalls (Fresher's fair). You get the opportunity to walk around and see what interests you. Joining soceities and attending their event will be a good way to make friends. :smile:

I am not sure about the introductory lectures, but I recommend looking on your Student Union website for when the Fresher's fair is, and you can come in for that. :biggrin:

Do not worry about not drink. I do not drink or go clubbing either, yet I have managed to meet friends through societies and my courses. It is not only Fresher's week where you get to make friends. :smile:

Living at home is a really good option, being able to get a mix of University life and home. Despite living at home, you can always head to University for any socials or events hosted by societies.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

At our university Welcome Week (aka freshers), it's a chance to settle in at university, see what it has to offer and meet people from your course!

There's usually a fair held by the students union that has loads of stalls from all of the different societies - this is a chance to see if there are any you fancy and sign up! There will also be ones from student services like well-being drop-in's!

I lived at home for the first few years so don't worry, it's still easy to make friends! Try seeing if your university has a
Facebook page where you can get chatting to people from your course before you start - this helps to ease those first day nerves!

I hope this helps!

- Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending