The Student Room Group

C2 help please

Please help me answer this question?

The terms of a geometric series are all positive. The sum of the two terms is 15. The sum to infinity is 27. What are the first two terms of the series.

Well, I tried. I didn't get the right answer and please can you correct it. I started getting confused around the end so just ignore what I did pretty much
.image.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)
Your mistake is:

a + a(⅔) = 15

=> a + a = 15/⅔

You haven't divided the first a by ⅔.
Original post by Questioness
Please help me answer this question?

The terms of a geometric series are all positive. The sum of the two terms is 15. The sum to infinity is 27. What are the first two terms of the series.

Well, I tried. I didn't get the right answer and please can you correct it. I started getting confused around the end so just ignore what I did pretty much
.image.jpg

It was all fine until you correctly got to a + (2/3) * a = 15, but then you divided some of the equation by 2/3 but not all of it so it's lead you to the wrong value of a. Fancy trying again from that point? :redface:
Reply 3
Original post by SeanFM
It was all fine until you correctly got to a + (2/3) * a = 15, but then you divided some of the equation by 2/3 but not all of it so it's lead you to the wrong value of a. Fancy trying again from that point? :redface:

Original post by TimGB
Your mistake is:

a + a(⅔) = 15

=> a + a = 15/⅔

You haven't divided the first a by ⅔.

Yes, makes more sense now. Thank you.:tongue:
Reply 4
Can someone please explain to me how exactly do you sketch a exponential(:tongue:) graph. As in for example y=5^x. And also how would you know where the graph crosses the axes?
(edited 8 years ago)
Can someone please explain to me how exactly do you sketch a derivative graph( I think that's what's it's called) as in for example y=5^x. And also how would you know where the graph crosses the axes?

Exponential graph?

Graphs of the form y=axy=a^x cross the y-axis at (0,1)(0,1) and there is an asymptote at x=0x=0. The skew will just be a bit different depending on what a is.

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Yes :colondollar:
Reply 7
Okay thanks
Reply 8
Okay thanks

what does your avatar say?
Reply 9
Original post by TeeEm
what does your avatar say?