The Student Room Group

Asurat's road to A*A*A*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
End of week 4

Last week I finished learning the content for C4 properly and started doing papers. I've made a lot of progress and I think at the end of this week I should be getting ~100 every time. I also feel confident with vectors, which was my only real grey area. I also started revising in libraries which has been excellent, and the bulk of my revision from now on will be done in libraries. Having a friend there to keep me disciplined has meant revision has been a lot more productive. In the library I've completed notes for G485 magnetism and sat most of an FP2, and part of an FP3 paper and which pretty comfortable.

Things to be done this week:

[-] Complete each and every one of the D2 review exercises
[-] Complete 4 M2 papers
[-] Complete 6 C4 papers
[-] Complete 6 C3 papers
[-] Complete 4 G484 papers. 2 completed.
[-] Complete notes for G485 capacitors and nuclear physics.

Progress this week:

Monday:

Spoiler

Tuesday:

Spoiler

Wednesday

Spoiler

Thursday-

Spoiler

Friday

Spoiler

Saturday-

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
End of week 5 (late update)

Sorry about the late update, after just about managing to get on top of all of my schoolwork, I am now yet again neck deep and the blog is one of the first things to go. The final week of half-term was relatively productive but I would like to have done more. Interestingly, I opted not to do papers, instead prioritising learning content which I think is the right way to do it.
In future, my priorities will be finishing up learning the content for G485, D2 and G482 as I think that I can do most of my exams to a decent standard (ignoring FP2 and FP3 which I am yet to finish learning). With regards to STEP I've been following the integral maths support and completing the associating exam questions with varying success (basically doing part 1 of a question and getting smashed by part 2) and generally just lurking on thestudentroom for any tips.

I use the get revising study planner to manage my hours, and I think I will just revise as and when I can and change the planner so that I can get the hours in.

Objectives for this week(end):

[-] Finish D2 revision and be in a position to start papers.
[-] Finish G482 parrallel and Series circuits (my main sticking point last year)

If I have time:

[x] M1 paper mark: {~40}
[-] M2 paper mark: {}
(M2 paper became a G484 Paper
Mark: {49/60} a high A, so ~78/79 UMS)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
End of week 6

Last weekend I was fairly unproductive, having only done about 3 hours of work each day. I finished up with the chapters 5 and 6 mixed exercises of D2 and completed an M1 and g484 paper.
As a few little notes, I write up my notes in school and complete papers and revision exercise questions at home (most of the time). Primarily I complete classwork in my frees in the library, and grab a friend for some silent company, and revision comes after classwork at school. Lastly, I obviously get up to more stuff than I post in my blog, but some of it is too boring or too personal so I don't include it. If anything funny happens I'll try include it for the kicks.

The M1 paper was reaaaaally bad. I bombed the Work Energy Power question and just made 2 early algebraic errors in questions which cost me dearly. I did the paper in the common room (admittedly making excuses for myself) but even despite that I still would have dropped about 10 marks due to the Work Energy Power solution I could not formulate properly. I did however gain something useful:
There is no need to use negativity when working out an unknown velocity in collisions. Assuming my solution is formulated correctly I will get the correct answer.

G484 went well. As have my last 2 or 3 papers. There was a complete shocker of a question where I lost a mark, about an imaginary hand that's clearly not shown in a diagram but I don't care. I have 2 remaining papers to complete: June 2013 and June 2014. I think that I will buy the OCR for A level textbook as I have used it exclusively for G482 revision and have found it to be very very useful. I will then complete all of the associated practice questions and that should improve my game as it is written by the exam board. I'll note anything interesting from the paper later assuming that I find it.

My objectives for the end of this week:
[-] Finish radioactivity notes for G485, and make a start on medical physics
[x] Complete the chapter 7 mixed exercise for D2
[x] Complete questions on Parallel and series circuits for G482

If I can, I also want to complete:
[-] Solomon Paper A for C4 and mark
[-] Random January C3 paper

Further down the road, I want to finally get on top of my M2 and M1 before I finish up with FP2 and 3 (which is happening really really soon). Next month I want to do as many papers as my body will allow. I am still following the STEP Integral maths stuff, but STEP 1 and 2 past paper questions are a procrastination exercise to distract from grinding D2 and physics.

As a little note about the stuff I'm getting up to aside from school, all I do is gain and brain at the moment (for anyone wondering, no I am not tanked, but all there is to do at my sixth form is go to the supermarket and gym). I've had a consecutive month of not being selected for first team in rugby, and my season has slowly faded into oblivion. I had a nice run though and am relatively happy with what I've achieved athletically.
I've had a nice run of having £0.11 in my bank account, because I've been going out and living that 18 lyf despite having quit my job.

I refuse to be the artificer of my A-level destruction so will work hard to be more productive :smile: :smile: :smile: Thanks for reading folks!
(edited 8 years ago)
If you don't mind me asking what did you get for your maths GCSE😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 44
Original post by Star1015
If you don't mind me asking what did you get for your maths GCSE😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

A*
Reply 46
Original post by Star1015

Thank you! Why'd you ask?
Reply 47
End of week 6

Feels good to be in a position to update at the end of the week. I did (almost) everything I felt needed to be done this week which was nice. I have to write about nuclear fusion and I am almost done with G485 radioactivity so am on the home straight.
I decided to have another library sesh because I did nothing on the Saturday as I was on the other side of the county kicking ball. I decided to get in early (so was there before opening time) and there was a group of 5 people just standing outside staring through the glass doors, and a guy in Lance Armstrong sunglasses was staring me out which was a bit weird. That aside, At the library today I finished with revisiting D2, and series and parallel circuits for G482. I couldn't find much time to revise after school, but managed to get about 4 hours in the library and a few hours here or there each day during free periods, mainly radioactivity notes.

I did another M1 paper (sort of) and again I was mashed up by work energy and power. I'm annoyed that this far into the year I'm struggling with what should be my easiest exam, but it was that arrogant attitude that has landed me in this position as I thought I could Stats M1. So this week I need to really focus on actually learning the content once and for all.

Considering I've now been taught the content for all of my exams (minus FP2 and G485), I have a few revision targets for this week. I'll probably fall short but if I can get all of it done I will be a happy boy.

G485 (~12 hours) completed~8
[x] Complete notes on radioactivity
[x] Complete notes on medical physics
[] Complete notes on modelling the universe

G482 (~5 hours)completed~5
[x] Revise Waves
[] Revise the space section thing (whatever it's called)

D2 (~10 hours)(nope)
[] Complete mixed exercise 1

M1 (~5 hours)
[x] Revise chapter 3, work energy and power. Completing as many of the relevant book questions as possible so I can actually learn how to get answers.

Papers (~8 hours)
[x] M1 paper {mark:53/65}
[x] M2 paper {mark:66/75}
[x] C4 paper {mark: 68/75}
[] C3 paper {mark:Nvm}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 48
End of week 7

(N.B. I will come back and try make this more readable by Friday)

This week I did not complete that much work but I pumped a lot of hours in and feel like I have improved a lot. I finished started and finished notes for all of medical physics (I left all of the diagrams to draw so I can have an easy hour some time this week and read over everything again). I also did the papers and did a bit better than I would have this time last week. I did a lot of my outstanding FP3 work as I have a mock exam paper tomorrow which I forgot about. As well as a C4 paper. And a physics quant, eval and qual this week also. As a result I didn't do as much clear revision as I've have liked but hey what am I to do?

In terms of my performance in papers, as I have just bombed through them I am not too worried about the marks that I am dropping on the whole as they're from small errors mostly. As of next week I need to play hard ball as I can't be "not too worried" this close to exams. Content wise I think I'm pretty good.

This week I need to get ORGANISED. I've sat all of these maths papers and not noted any of my necessary improvements down anywhere, doing so would probably boost my marks. So I need to buy some sort of folder for that so that I can note any model solutions for new questions which I encounter and learn them. I need to start and finish notes for medical physics as I have a G485 mock exam next Monday.

In terms of general classwork, I need to finish up FP3 integration as I have done a lot of the exercise questions but would like to have completed all of them, I need to complete FP2 as I think we are finished (or nearly finished). I need to revise Work, Energy Power M2 as I have forgotten some stuff, but from previous revision I feel competent tackling the questions when I know the principles. Further down the line I need to have finished actually learning the Mclaurin and Taylor expansion stuff as I still have no little what's going on, and I need to get on top of my D2... Scratch that, on top of EVERYTHING.

Next week I would very much like to be doing as many papers as possible. A structure of (from when I get home) meal->M2/FP2/FP3 paper -> meal -> C4 paper/G484 paper ->C3 paper and I want to be running more of the STEP support stuff. I average a solution every 45 minutes in STEP 1 and have not even scratched the surface of STEP 2 at all and I want to improve my speed.
I'm going to start timetabling papers in my free periods and I am going to become proficient enough at C3 such that I can comfortably complete papers within an hour without dropping 4/7 marks like I have been doing. In my frees I want to be doing as much Core Maths and G484 as possible and force myself to bite the pillow and sit further maths papers after school. I'll mark papers in the morning before school. (Provisionally)

This week:

[] Record all of my past exam paper marks and learn how to answer incorrect questions.
[x] Complete Modelling the Universe notes
[x] Complete G482 Waves practice questions
[x] Complete all G482 reading and practice questions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 49
End of week 8

Last week I finished all of A2 physics ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ !!!!!! The night before the mock exam as well :wink: Later on in the day I sat my first G485 paper and got an A which was nice.
I also sat a C4 mock which was really average. I think I got like 60 something which is okay for now, the last 12 marks were shakily answered and I had not seen anything like it.
This following week I am going to sit papers, which ones TBC. But I am going to look at C4, G482, M1 and M2 after I have organised all of my revision materials.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 50
End of week 9

Sorry about the late past (again), but I've been busy... you know... revising. I'll post what I got up to this week on Sunday (I promise x). Anyway, last week I got the results for my mocks back, I scored 65/75 on the C4 paper, dropping the second half of the last question and a 2 mark show that, as well as 1 or 2 other marks. So looking at just my mocks, I'm 5 raw marks away from LSE in maths. I got 62/100 on the G485 paper which was ite, it's a C but another 9 and I would have gotten an A.

Next week I'm going to sit all of the June M1, FP2 and G482 papers once. I'm going to try and get in a Core 3, 4, M2 and D2 paper in as well (core 3 and 4 sat already).
As of time of writing, I am on June 2012 M1 (having completed a few Jan papers as well) and June 2014 FP2 (having completed alternates and IALs also). Been making big big mark gains and time losses this week as well :biggrin:.

In a fortnight I want to be at least a 7/10 at everything. I really want to get everything nailed. I should have sat all of the G485, D2, M2, FP3, Core 3 and Core 4 papers from June 9 onwards once. I will make time. I will wake up early if needs be. I will go to university by fire by force.

In terms of overall outlook, I'd say that I'm on target for M1, G482, G484, nearly there with FP2, D2, and M2, and my G485 and FP3 need work. My core Maths is also really rusty, I've not done much Core 4 and my Core 3 is still blunt if I try and sprint through papers which it shouldn't be. By this coming Sunday (ending 21st) M1, G482, G484 and FP2 need to be considered ghosts of the past. I also want to be in a position where I can start sitting D2 and FP3 papers in the same manner that I sit M1, FP2, G484, G482, Core 3 and Core 4.

I had my first rugby social on Friday (week 9) and only lasted half the night, at one point I ended up hanging upside down from a door with water being poured down my trousers, safe to say I was a little intoxicated. but bottled going out as I had to put in the work in the library the morning afterwards, pretty pleased with my commitment ngl. On the weekend, I learned how to mostly do FP2 and have finally conquered complex numbers. I also had what is probably my 12th Nandos in about 5 weeks as it's all I eat when I'm in town and my bank account is looking grim. Chance 3 is sick and would recommend downloading if it's what anybody's into.

(P.S I'm going to start using more Kawaii emojis to brighten the place up a bit)

Until next time!
(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 51
End of week 10

This week I sat about 25 papers for M1, FP2 and G482. Getting between 65-95% raw in M1, 75-95% raw in FP2 and from 74-88% raw in the G482 papers. Many of the marks that I lost were because I was getting tired and sloppy, but overall my marks tended to move upwards as I became more well practised, and even when I was tired I was beginning to make fewer mistakes. My average marks last week in M1 and FP2 were roughly 65 and G482 roughly 80. From last week, I failed to complete an M2 or D2 paper as I was focused on doing FP2, M1 and G482. The core 3 paper I sat I scored 60 (sat it as fast as I can and leaked marks almost every question and they added up) in the Core 4 paper I got about 65.I have 2 FP2 papers (June 15R, June 15), 3 M1 papers (June 15R, June 15 IAL, June 14) and 3 G482 papers (Jan 12- Jan 13) still to sit.
It's looking likely I'm going to bang UU in STEP which is a shame, but I want to get the best A-levels I can and I'm not confident that I can do that if I take the exams more seriously. I can half do STEP 1 but a lot of the STEP 2 questions I've attempted have been beyond me. I'm going to try and do at least 2 STEP 1 papers and a STEP 2 before the exams. Next week I'm going to sit STEP 1 2001 to see where I'm at (that one specifically as I think it's the only post 2000 one I've not actually opened yet), and I think I'll attempt another STEP 1 in half term and try and make time for a STEP 2 at some point over the next fortnight. From what I've done of the integral maths stuff I only gain one or two useful things from each section, looking at the examiners report of the loose STEP questions I've attempted has been much more useful.

Overall, I'd say that I'm fairly on top of things for C3, FP2, G482 and M1 after this week's revision and after I have reviewed all of my papers I should be where I want to be for exams. Core 4 I think after next week I will be A1. There are some things that I can take away from this week's revision:

Spoiler

This coming week, I'm going to try and sit June 09- June 14 FP3, D2, M2, Core 3 and Core 4. As well as mop up the remainder of the G485 papers I am yet to sit, so probably about 30-40 papers is the target. Tomorrow morning I'm going to to provide a more detailed breakdown of the papers I have sat. No longer attending school as I'm feeling and illness coming down on Monday and Thursday, I need to print stuff off so I'm going to head in on Tuesday. Friday is leavers day so I'm going to turn out.

In terms of long-term game plan this is how I'm playing it out:

Spoiler

So TLDR, I have 10 school-free days to prepare for each half of my exams, so I'm going to jam as many papers as I can a fortnight before each half of exams and then focus on finesse the week before my exams as it works out quite nicely. That way, I won't experience burnout as I have this week and probably will next week, will have retained all of the knowledge and will hopefully secure LSE/Bristol and A-level glory.

General stuff, I have hip joint injury from squats and deadlifts so I'm taking a de-load, and by de-load I mean I'm revising instead of training tomorrow. I'm undecided as to whether I'm clubbing on leavers day or not.

Good luck if you're reading this and sitting exams this year, hopefully we'll all get what we want. Til next time!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 52
Just wanted to say that your blog has been motivating me through out the year, and I hope you get the grades you need.
Reply 53
Original post by Mayyz1
Just wanted to say that your blog has been motivating me through out the year, and I hope you get the grades you need.

Thank you so much, I've had a read of your blog too and I hope we can both pull through:smile:
Reply 54
Midweek update (week 11)

DIDN'T GO OUT LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!! Dat work-ethic doe :wink::wink:
Reply 55
End of week 11

Last week I bunked school Monday through Wednesday and mashed about 7-8 hours revision each of those days in the library. Thursday was a semi-write off as I only did 3 hours (I was in school to say my goodbyes to my teachers and to print off papers), Friday was leavers day so I did zilch but day drink. Saturday 5 and Sunday 5, so about 35 hours last week which is really quite average.
In terms of papers, I did very little. I finished swotting up on the vectors content and have to evaluate some of the holes, I sat my first FP3 paper now actually half-knowing everything, and sat: a C3 paper; two C4 and M2 papers and a D2 paper..... So not quite the 40 odd I had in mind but hey the content needed to be learned and papers need not be wasted. I got 44/75 on the FP3 paper, a C. I scored 72, 67 and 65 on the C3 and C4 papers respectively, 59 and 62 on the M2 papers and 67/75 on the D2 paper, so A* A* A+ B A A* so I still have a long way to go.

As a consequence, I've had to refocus my revision efforts for the next fortnight. This week I'm going to try and force down 35 hours of papers as of time of writing. To date I've sat about 40 papers (give or take 1 or 2) since I started "revising" in week 1, I think about 60% of my revision hours (guesstimate based on just how I feel, not mapping each hour out) on learning the content.

Rough timetable for week 12:

Spoiler

This coming week, my plan is to be completely on top of G484, C3, C4, M1, M2, D2 and FP2 and mostly on top of FP3 and G485.
I'd say I'm already nearly there, my M2 needs the most work. My D2, C3, G484 is A1 and my FP2 and M1 should be there or thereabouts by the time the week is over. FP3 dire and G485 meh. I need to somehow find time to sit a STEP 1 mock, lord'a'mercy.

Generally I didn't get to too much last week. I only went to the gym once as I decided I'd rather be revising. I bunked school and my friend and I got 12 free wings at Nandos from 2 random guys who decided they were done before their food arrived which was safe. On leavers day I bottled going out because I got too drunk in the day and thank God as I managed to have a fairly productive Saturday whilst most of my friends were hungover after a "poor to average night".

My next post will be probably next Monday or Sunday. Posts will be sporadic during the exam period cus not one for counting my chickens.

Take care everyone :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 56
End of week 12

Last week I revised for my C3, C4, M2, FP3, D2 and G485 exams. I did not sit a single paper for G484. Yesterday and the day before I sat two mock exams for FP2 and M1 to see what shape I am in. Sitting them at the library was a mistake as I had a group of old men behind me having a loud conversation (not that I'm complaining as the library seems to be a social place) for FP2. M1 was just a bit poor really. Nevertheless, there were some red flags raised.
Anyhow here are my scores from throughout the week in (roughly) chronological order for each exam:

Spoiler

I think on the whole I know my FP2 to a good enough standard, there are two things which I consistently get incorrect and those two things appeared on the paper so that was -4, the other -3 I didn't work out my particular integral properly during the last question, but I've never had to sit a paper in those sorts of conditions so I'm going to give myself BOD.
Let's be honest, all well and good giving myself BOD but I need to stop being bad in general. Tomorrow I'm going to go in and see my teacher about the two things I'm not good at (shading transformed regions in FP2 and an annoying 1 mark bit in inequalities. First I'm going to post some threads on TSR as I know there a lot of people who are really good and can lend me a hand. I have two days to peak. I've earmarked FP2 and M1 questions to redo from all of the past papers so I'm going to do that. I should hopefully be sorted for those exams. We'll have to see and I hope it goes well.
An awesome blog I'd say Asurat! keep it up! :adore:
Reply 58
End of week 13

Well my first three exams were all not too good. Monday I had FP2 and M1 back to back and I quaked, I could answer every question apart from Q1 method of differences (forgot an FP1 result) and center of mass (lol). Nothing too major though but FP2 was supposed to be where I was stacking up the UMS for later, M1 I was feeling down but I think I got almost everything apart from COM right.
Two days later I had a G482 retake which went a lot better than last year, assuming that the boundaries are similar I should have picked up a lot of UMS.

Anyway, I thought I'd try be a big boy and do 8 hours of revision in 10 on Friday, well I did and sat 5 papers, and my scores were worse than usual as I was burnt out, I was still mentally fatigued on Saturday even despite slashing my workload, as in I was getting headaches resolving moments in M2 which is normally easy, so today I've forced myself to not sit any papers and just flick through my STEP 1 notes and my M2 past papers.
Next up is STEP 1, followed by STEP 2 which is still a write off as I haven't learned any of the required core maths, and then M2 Friday which would normally be fine but I need to get my act together really soon. I need to be doing well in this M2 and not have another FP2.
Having learned my limits I'm going to try and finish off all of my remaining papers but not binge anywhere near as much. If I play my cards right I should meet my offer, but if I turn up to either C3 or C4 tired I'm not going to university so need to be careful. C3 I think I will be sorted no matter what, on occasion I mess up my integrals (as in suddenly a sign will flip or a 3 will become a 4 for reasons unbeknown to me) but if I'm efficient I will have time to check.

Overall this has been a big year of learning what I am and am not capable of mathematically, as well as learning what I'm really into academically in general. I've really been enjoying my background reading (which is just night time and only economics at the moment). I Just need to get to university now.

Sorry about the tone, again I'm still feeling a bit tired for some reason. I think I'll be better on Monday, I'm going to school Monday as although I get a lot of volume in at the library, it's best to be safe and do a few hours less tomorrow.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
End of week 14

Sorry about the last update, I did write a post on Monday but the window was accidentally closed and I've not been bothered to write another since.
Anyway, last week I sat STEP 1, STEP 2 and M2 and it wasn't a bad week (I think).
I reckon I got double U (or maybe a 3) in STEP 1 and STEP 2, I really enjoyed sitting the papers (nah that's not juxtoposition) but I was sloooooww so didn't actually do that much worthy of credit, attempting 3 questions and getting a half, 2/3 and just starting about starting another over both papers. I've not been enjoying my maths lately but the exams were a reminder as to why I'm studying it at university as revising A level isn't fun because of the constant pressure.
M2 I feel like has been my best A level exam so far even after C3. Not going to count my chickens as I also thought I got an A* in D2 last year and look who's retaking D2.

Anyway, this week (next week whatever) I'll have sat the big lads which decide whether I'm going to my firm or not (assuming everything else goes 6/10 from hear on out and I've scored what I think I've scored so far). C3 and C4 will hopefully not be a madness. G484 is also quite important. After week 15 is over it'll be FP3, G485 and D2 then I'm finito and I finally get to chill.

This Summer I've got some semi-solid plans as I'm going to have an academic reading book club with my friend as we've gotten so used to going to the library, and we want to have an intellectual glo-up before we go to university.

Til next time guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending