The Student Room Group
University of Northampton
Northampton

Adult nursing interview- demonstrate a skill?!

So I just got my interview date for Northampton, I am slightly worried as it says on the layout that I need to choose an article and talk about it and also demonstrate a three minute skill!
I am not pessimistic but I do not have a skill I could demonstrate in an interview room or in 3 minutes- has anyone done this yet and have any ideas?

Scroll to see replies

That sounds like a hideous interview if they actually expect you to juggle or something like that. You are applying to be a nurse not a performing monkey. I am hoping by boosting this you may get a reply from someone who has had this experience. I would expect that they will give you something to do and a 3 min window to see if you can figure it out and perform it correctly? That sounds more likely to me. If they use it as a method of seeing how your mind works and physical dexterity.

If not....well I would practice juggling if I were you.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Northampton
Reply 2
When's your date? From what I know of adult branch interview it doesn't quite go like that

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm sure they won't ask you to do something like that, the interview was really calm , but do make sure that you read an article on something recent that's happening in the nhs, very important!
Hi, I have an interview in Northampton too! I'm just wondering how you're interview went if you've already done it, and what skill you ended up doing in the end?! I'm super worried about it:frown:
Reply 5
Oh my,, im glad i am not the only one worried about this! I have my interview tomorrow and im scared to death :frown:
Hi guys! I am so sorry; I have only just seen these, for some reason I wasn't getting notifications!
My interview went amazing! All three in fact and I have an offer from all :smile:

I ended up showing them how to spell their name in sign language and printed out some pictures with the sign language alphabet on and told them that I didn't have the time to demonstrate the whole alphabet but I thought they might like to learn it in their own time.
I rang and got feedback too and apparently they really liked my skill and the handouts made it better as it showed that I had took the time and consideration to do it.

I hope all of your interviews went well!!!! Please comment on here with what skills you chose to help others who may find this post in the future :smile: x
Original post by Jay90c
Oh my,, im glad i am not the only one worried about this! I have my interview tomorrow and im scared to death :frown:

Don't be nervous or scared, if you have Northampton, UEA OR ARU, from experience they are so welcoming and it really isn't bad! I am sure all unis are though :smile:
You will do amazing! Honestly, try not to let your nerves take over and make sure you are confident in yourself :smile:
I am not sure if you can message privately on her but I do not mind giving you a walk through of what they do X
Reply 8
That would be fab if you could, I know everything i want to say I just dont want my mind to go blank! I have an idea of the show a skill part for 3 mins but now I am doubting myself on thinking am I doing it right now i have no time to change lol ahh stress :smile: good stress im guessing i just really hope i can do it :smile: thanks for your help x
You will do it :smile: walk in knowing that and you'll be great!
With Northampton you go into a waiting room with a student nurse and other applicants, try talk to the student nurse as she will be an interviewer so this gives you a chance to get off to a great start. Ask her about the course and do not be scared to ask what she doesn't like either.
When you get called in, there will be 4 of you going in the room. In that room there are 4 tables and chairs with a person behind each (including the student nurse)
The first I went to was the actual nurse, she showed me three pictures and I had to point at the hazards; these were fairly obvious, such as: sick being left on the patients lap, syringes in front of her, wires wrapped around the chair etc.
I couldn't find anymore after I listed quite a few so I just told her I couldn't find anymore and would she be able to show me so I knew in future and she seemed to like that (they like if you admit stuff as if you're on a ward and something is a miss, you couldn't deal with it single handed so it proves you have the ability to ask for help).

The second was my article with a prior student; I chose the nurses bursary and the Drs strikes. I read it through to her and told her what I thought of the situation and I discussed my disgust on the matter.

The third booth was the student nurse, she didn't ask me a question specifically but just spoke to me about the course and asked why I wanted to be a nurse (nearly all interviews ask 'why a nurse' or 'why this uni') I told her that I wanted to be an inspiration and a role model to my daughter and that I love the idea of going to work everyday and not knowing what is going to happen.

I then went to the last which was the course director (she likes to ask a lot of questions in the skill so be warned as she will quiz you to s**t lol, I was lucky but others were not!)
I had three scenarios and I had to pick one. I chose to pick one to do with prioritising patients; angry patient or a patient who was ill. I told her it would depend on each matter because each patient should be valued the same so it would solely depend on why they were angry and what the ill patient was concerned about. Try read a bit of the NMC values on how to treat patients and include them. I said I didn't know why the patient was angry, it could be because he was badly mistreated and the ill patient could just be saying he stumped his toe, so the angry patient would come first. Then you have to explain what you'd say to the other patient.

Then I did my skill which shocked me as it was with everyone!
After I spoke to the course director and the other interviewers and thanked them for the experience.

I heard back within 4 days with my offer :smile: x
Reply 10
I am so glad i checked this as i did not get a notification either, I feel so much better now on what my skill is feel so much more ready now for tomorrow thank you everyone. I hope they like it lol
They will, also, it isn't about what you choose to do that they are judging you on, they are judging you on your ability to teach others how to do something. Make sure you speak clearly and that the instructions you give them are easy to follow and that they can understand what they need to do :smile:

Good Luck!!!!!! You will smash it!!!!!!
If you're going to Northampton, I hope you have the people I did, the student nurse is called Holly (who I had) definitely speak to her, she is lovely! X
Reply 12
Hi all just thought I would let yous all know I had my interview this morning, I feel it went well in my eyes. I hope they like me..!! Just thought I would share my views. To start off all the staff are really lovely there is not any need to worry or to be nervous at all. Xsimonelouisex was totally right about the interview. I did my 3 min skill on handwashing within the NHS although this can be any skill you wish. It was really laid back and relaxing. Thank you for your support in replying to me it really made alot of difference on keeping my mind at rest :smile: now its the waiting game eeeeeek X
Original post by Jay90c
Hi all just thought I would let yous all know I had my interview this morning, I feel it went well in my eyes. I hope they like me..!! Just thought I would share my views. To start off all the staff are really lovely there is not any need to worry or to be nervous at all. Xsimonelouisex was totally right about the interview. I did my 3 min skill on handwashing within the NHS although this can be any skill you wish. It was really laid back and relaxing. Thank you for your support in replying to me it really made alot of difference on keeping my mind at rest :smile: now its the waiting game eeeeeek X

Good Luck! Do let us know when you hear back!
They really are a great :smile: I best be seeing you there in September!
They get back to you quite quickly too! X
Reply 14
I really hope so fingers and toes crossed!! Lol X
Reply 15
Hi all I got an email this morning I have been offerd a place at northampton :smile: I am so chuffed and can not wait to start :smile: X
Omg! Yay! Well done!!!!!! Was yours for adult nursing? There is a Facebook group for all applicants for 2016 and one specifically for nursing too :smile: x
Reply 17
Thank you :smile: i did have fb but i have deleted it lol couldnt get my course work done i always ended up on fb so its gone for good! Lol x
I know that trouble lol!!!
There is an applicant day tomorrow if you could attend too though x
Original post by Jay90c
Hi all I got an email this morning I have been offerd a place at northampton :smile: I am so chuffed and can not wait to start :smile: X

Congratulations! Well done! We can't wait to see you all in September :smile:

Ksenia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending