The Student Room Group

Rejected from UWE midwifery

(edited 2 months ago)
Hiya! What universities have you looked at? Have you considered going into midwifery through Adult Nursing? I found that a couple universities offer an Adult Nursing course for very few UCAS points, it's worth having a look around and doing a bit of a dig around especially at smaller unis that aren't Russel Group or Sutton 30! I hope this helps, good luck < 3
It may be worth requesting feedback to see whether it was solely your grades, or whether there were any other factors.
Original post by kathryng1
Hi! I'm solely focusing on UWE because it's the only university I want to go to. I haven't thought of going through adult nursing, do you know how long that path would take??

From what I researched (I considered doing nursing an insurance choice but realised that the course wasn't for me), it would take the 3 years of your degree then and 18months training course to qualify as a midwife as there's a lot of transferable skills!! Have a look on their website at the programme, from what I just read it's in partnership with the Open University so have a look on there at what they offer (https://courses.uwe.ac.uk/B751/nursing-adult-in-partnership-with-the-open-university)! It must be an Adult Nursing course however, you can't do it from mental health or child nursing to my knowledge
Reply 4
I have been rejected from midwifery and the health professions foundation course. I think it may have been due to my low predicted grades. I'm confused on what my next steps are, anyone have any advice?

So sorry to hear this, I have my interview in feb for health professions, was it tough??
I haven’t got any qualifications apart from GCSEs x
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 5
I have been rejected from midwifery and the health professions foundation course. I think it may have been due to my low predicted grades. I'm confused on what my next steps are, anyone have any advice?

Hi
It might not be your predicted grades that cost you a place at university for midwifery come September.
Sometimes you can do a brilliant interview and do well with everything but because of the limited numbers of potential student midwives that universities throughout the UK take in each year you can still be rejected.
Don't give up okay as Keep trying until successful as sometimes it can take a few attempts to get a offer at university.

Ask for a feedback on your interview and take it forward for future applications.
You should try and aim for the university minimum entry requirements to have some sort of chance of getting offered a place.

You can look at doing adult nursing over the three years and then gain some experience as a qualified nurse before asking to do the 18/20 months shorter top-up degree courses for midwifery ( you'll have to check out if your chosen university and local hospital trusts are running this course as they are slowly being phrased out).

One good thing as a qualified adult nurse you can still work on maternity ward.

NHS registered midwife
Reply 6
For both choices, they rejected me based on me not showing enough knowledge of the profession, so I'm quite unsure how that conclusion was made.

I’m so sorry 😌 Did you talk about the nhs constitution and values and things like that?
Midwifery is really competitive. I’ve read that they only have about 5 spots for it on the health professions course x
For both choices, they rejected me based on me not showing enough knowledge of the profession, so I'm quite unsure how that conclusion was made.

Do you have enough ucas points for the course? If not you can do an access course to top up your points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending