The Student Room Group

Differential Equations Question (tricky)

A metal rod is 60 cm long and is heated at one end. The temperature at a point on the rod at distance x cm from the heated end is denoted by T. At a point halfway along the rod, T=290 and dT/dx = -6

(A) In a simple model for the temperature of the rod, it is assumed that dT/dx has the same value at all points on rod. For this model, express T in terms of X and hence determine the temperature difference between the ends of the rod.

(B) In a more refined model, the rate of change of T with respect to X is taken to be proportional to x. Set up a different equation for T, involving a constant of proportionality k. Solve the differential equation and hence show that, in this refined model, the temperature along the rod is predicted to vary from 380 degrees to 20 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I thought this was a PDE ...
Reply 2
Original post by TSRforum
A metal rod is 60 cm long and is heated at one end. The temperature at a point on the rod at distance x cm from the heated end is denoted by T. At a point halfway along the rod, T=290 and dT/dx = -6

(A) In a simple model for the temperature of the rod, it is assumed that dT/dx has the same value at all points on rod. For this model, express T in terms of X and hence determine the temperature difference between the ends of the rod.

(B) In a more refined model, the rate of change of T with respect to X is taken to be proportional to x. Set up a different equation for T, involving a constant of proportionality k. Solve the differential equation and hence show that, in this refined model, the temperature along the rod is predicted to vary from 380 degrees to 20 degrees

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll need to show us some workigs/thoughts before we can help you properly.

Original post by TeeEm
I thought this was a PDE ...

Makes you think of the heat equation, 'innit?
Reply 3
Don't know how to approach question... Do I use newtons law of cooling?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

It says dT/dx is the same all point and you know that dT/dx = -6 at one point, so you have that dTdx=6\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dx} = -6 which is a D.E you can solve. You'll need to use the fact that at x = 30, T=290 to find the arbitrary constant so you can compute T(60)T(0)T(60) - T(0)
Reply 5
Original post by Zacken
It says dT/dx is the same all point and you know that dT/dx = -6 at one point, so you have that dTdx=6\displaystyle \frac{dT}{dx} = -6 which is a D.E you can solve. You'll need to use the fact that at x = 30, T=290 to find the arbitrary constant so you can compute T(60)T(0)T(60) - T(0)

Thanks got t=470-6x don't quite understand the end bit of your reply though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Thanks got t=470-6x don't quite understand the end bit of your reply though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming what you said is correct. The question then asks you to find the different of the temperature at the two ends of the rods. Temp at one end is temp at a distance x =60, this is given by T(60). Temp at other end is temp at a distance x=0, this ive given by T(0). Difference is T(60) -T(0)
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
Assuming what you said is correct. The question then asks you to find the different of the temperature at the two ends of the rods. Temp at one end is temp at a distance x =60, this is given by T(60). Temp at other end is temp at a distance x=0, this ive given by T(0). Difference is T(60) -T(0)

Thanks! For part b what does it mean by rate of change being 'proportional' does that mean dT/dx = kX?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks! For part b what does it mean by rate of change being 'proportional' does that mean dT/dx = kX?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Use the given information to find what the value of k is. (halfway along the rod, x =30 so -6 = k(30)
Reply 9
Original post by Zacken
Yes. Use the given information to find what the value of k is. (halfway along the rod, x =30 so -6 = k(30)

I solved dT/dx = -5x however I got T = -5x^2 + 5080 which is different to the answer as they used dT/dx = -kx I tried using that too however I still got something completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I solved dT/dx = -5x however I got T = -5x^2 + 5080 which is different to the answer as they used dT/dx = -kx I tried using that too however I still got something completely different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what you're saying? Remember that: 5x=5x22\int 5x = \frac{5x^2}{2}
Reply 11
Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure what you're saying? Remember that: 5x=5x22\int 5x = \frac{5x^2}{2}

Oh I see, got confused by the dT and dX variables that I integrated it as -1/5 dt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Oh I see, got confused by the dT and dX variables that I integrated it as -1/5 dt

Posted from TSR Mobile

Does it work out now?
Reply 13
Original post by Zacken
Does it work out now?

Ermmm no got the same thing as before 😩 answer is T = 380 - 1/10x^2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Ermmm no got the same thing as before 😩 answer is T = 380 - 1/10x^2

Posted from TSR Mobile

k = -1/5 not -5.
Reply 15
Original post by Zacken
k = -1/5 not -5.

Oh I see thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16

dT/dx = kx

-6 = k * 30

k = -6/30
If this is tricky, there is no hope for mathematics in this world.

Quick Reply

Latest