The Student Room Group

Garage diagnosed bad bolts on engine mount, is this the cause of the problems

several months ago My friend said he removed something from engine mount , every time I turn car off after then it shook violently and the engine shook too.
He tried rocking the engine to see if it was loose but was solid,

Anyway went into a garage today to ask them to check something for me (not related to engine mount ), he later tells me that some bolts are missing from the middle engine mount.

could that be the cause for the violent thud/shake once the engine is turned off ?

thank you
Loose engine mounts cause that thud sound and a shake when you accelerate hard from standstill (try it.), . Is your car equipped with a diesel or a petrol engine. Straight 4 engines tend to shake more as these have primary and secondary engine forces. Rubber or shock insulating materials are used to neutral these forces. Coming to engine mounts, these are needed to tightened up. If you keep driving your car with lose mount, it will break the rest too!. Ask a good independent mechanic to fix the problem.
Good Luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Have the bolts replaced. They are not there purely for shits and giggles.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Out of interest, when did your car last have an MOT?
Reply 4
Original post by Talon
Out of interest, when did your car last have an MOT?

Late December 2015
Reply 5
I'm surprised it passed if the bolts were missing from the engine mount. Were there no advisories to that effect? Seriously though you do need to get them replaced. The less bolts you have, the more force will be exerted on the remaining mounts. It is not a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending