The Student Room Group

Is the BMW series 1 a good first car?

So I’m 30 and embarrassingly I’ve decided to take driving lessons. In order to motive me to see it right through I’ve decided to buy a car, and use it as a run around for a few years. I love BMW cars and would love to own one. I’ve seen a few Series 1’s with a 14 reg on Autotrader going for like £9995, from dealers not private sellers. But keep getting mixed messages some saying their great others saying avoid them.

Would the series 1 make a good reliable first car, or would the insurance and general maintenance be expensive, and is it a gas guzzler want to avoid that. I know me cousin had the BMW X5 (and this is a car I would love to have one day) it gave him nothing but trouble. If the Series 1 isn’t a good car can you recommend a decent make and model thanks
Original post by Ste29
So I’m 30 and embarrassingly I’ve decided to take driving lessons. In order to motive me to see it right through I’ve decided to buy a car, and use it as a run around for a few years. I love BMW cars and would love to own one. I’ve seen a few Series 1’s with a 14 reg on Autotrader going for like £9995, from dealers not private sellers. But keep getting mixed messages some saying their great others saying avoid them.

Would the series 1 make a good reliable first car, or would the insurance and general maintenance be expensive, and is it a gas guzzler want to avoid that. I know me cousin had the BMW X5 (and this is a car I would love to have one day) it gave him nothing but trouble. If the Series 1 isn’t a good car can you recommend a decent make and model thanks

depends on engine capacity so 2.0l + will need more gas than something 1.6l which is more typical for first cars. my extended family are bmw fanatics (X5, X3, 3 series etc) and generally they are all extremely reliable and durable. the safety is especially why they keep going back - one was involved in a speedy head on collision which ruined the other car but the X3 only had a crumpled bonnet and broken headlights, no interior damage just deployed airbags and the driver broke some fingers on impact but structurally very sound cars so would recommend as a first car. just keep an eye out for the mileage with that price, bmws are still good to go over 100,000 miles but more miles=more likely to start acting up soon. if ur not planning to keep it longer than 2/3 years this one seems great

insurance as a new driver may be high as it is a bmw and bmw drivers have a bit of a rep but it shouldn't be too bad, check a few sites first. maintenance is 50/50 you can do any job at your local garage but if you're fussed about having bmw parts fitted in ur car specifically, going to a bmw garage would be the way but more pricey however they usually do a great job and do offer replacement cars if it takes a while i think
(edited 10 months ago)
Not really, please see the other 100 odd threads below on whether a premium yet unreliable BMW is a good first car.

Seriously, don't be determined to get your dream car on day 1, as you'll just get more upset when you inevitably damage it, and 10k for a near decade old used car is a near preposterous 1st car choice, esp if you don't have space/tools/info to work on it yourself (like you're talking about spending more than I did on my first 4 cars together, and that included a Merc, an Audi and a Porsche after the near obligatory Corsa, and most people would still call my choices a bit silly)

I'd look to spend a LOT less on something more pedestrian (Vauxhall, Toyota, Hyundai etc and get far more car for your £ and save the rest for next time. I don't know a single person who bought a used BMW and didn't run into problems that cost more than they paid for the car, their quality isn't what it used to be.
(edited 10 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending