The Student Room Group

Do people actually enjoy studying in Cambridge?

For all its prestige and reputation, the student experiences I hear from Cambridge tend to be surprisingly negative. The most common complaints I see concern the intense study load; that people become so concentrated on their studies that other aspects of their life start to deteriorate. This is, from what I've read, further amplified by the intensely competitive student population where being the best is considered to be the main goal of university studies. While this doesn't obviously reflect the general opinion of the whole student populace, it is noteworthy that these kinds of things are much more often heard about Oxbridge than any other universities.

What kind of people enjoy this environment; Is it people whose main interests in life are mostly academic? Or people who are exceptionally competitive? I am not discussing this in a normative sense. Rather I'm thinking about what motivates and excites the average Cambridge student.

A common opinion I've also heard often is from people who have graduated from Cambridge saying that they found the experience unpleasant, but ultimately rewarding. There is no denying that a degree from Cambridge rewards the graduate with excellent job prospects.

So in short, I guess I'm wondering about what kind of experience do people studying in Cambridge actually have. The contrast between applicants who are enthused beyond belief and actual students whose opinions seem to be more critical and introspective is overwhelmingly noticeable especially on this forum.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
this thread is going to be so much fun
Original post by eniet
For all its prestige and reputation, the student experiences I hear from Cambridge tend to be surprisingly negative. The most common complaints I see concern the intense study load; that people become so concentrated on their studies that other aspects of their life start to deteriorate. This is, from what I've read, further amplified by the intensely competitive student population where being the best is considered to be the main goal of university studies. While this doesn't obviously reflect the general opinion of the whole student populace, it is noteworthy that these kinds of things are much more often heard about Oxbridge than any other universities.

What kind of people enjoy this environment; Is it people whose main interests in life are mostly academic? Or people who are exceptionally competitive? I am not discussing this in a normative sense. Rather I'm thinking about what motivates and excites the average Cambridge student.

A common opinion I've also heard often is from people who have graduated from Cambridge saying that they found the experience unpleasant, but ultimately rewarding. There is no denying that a degree from Cambridge rewards the graduate with excellent job prospects.

So in short, I guess I'm wondering about what kind of experience do people studying in Cambridge actually have. The contrast between applicants who are enthused beyond belief and actual students whose opinions seem to be more critical and introspective is overwhelmingly noticeable especially on this forum.

How many people do you actipually know who are/were at Cambridge? I suspect not too many....
Reply 3
Original post by vincrows
How many people do you actipually know who are/were at Cambridge? I suspect not too many....

Quite a few actually! I did go to IBO last year so I have around 20 - 30 friends who currently go to Cambridge. I've talked with some of them about studying there.

But the reason I made this thread was precisely to get different viewpoints, and to give people a chance to give their own opinions and dispel any myths :smile:
Speaking from what I have observed about my daughter's experience at Cam, I would have to say your perception is inaccurate in its assumptions.

First, the students are competitive, but less so with each other than from within. In other words, it is much less about cutthroat competition to "win" than it is about meeting their own standards for themselves. So far as I can tell, Cantabrigians enjoy their peers because of their caliber, they do not simply fight against them for a place in the grading hierarchy.

Second, to thrive there the student must be intensely committed to his/her subject - the workload is so heavy that if you don't love it, it will be a very painful slog.

Third, the student workload experience is about training oneself for the next step, i.e. forming habits that will place them in the real-world work environment at a high level. It can be very brutal, but it enhances endurance and efficiency in ways that are largely unavailable elsewhere. Of necessity, this requires choices about how a student spends his/her time. As they say, you will neglect your social life, extracurriculars, or your sleep - work is that important because they choose it to be so.

Taken all together, this makes the Cam experience extremely dense. They are busy because of their expectations for themselves, and when they play, they play very hard. About 20% of the students there suffer from some form of depression or anxiety.

I do not mean to disparage you, but the assumptions behind your questions appear to be those of a high school student just trying to get good grades and have enough time for fun. The equation at Cam is different - and it's not for everyone.
Original post by eniet
Quite a few actually! I did go to IBO last year so I have around 20 - 30 friends who currently go to Cambridge. I've talked with some of them about studying there.

But the reason I made this thread was precisely to get different viewpoints, and to give people a chance to give their own opinions and dispel any myths :smile:

20 - 30 'friends' as in 'FB friends' ? :wink:
Of all ex/current-Cambridge students I've known (= 'know' well enough in real life, not someone I just come across briefly.over 30 of them) over many years, a sort of people you described is very small minority. In fact, I hardly know anyone who would fit into that category, except for perhaps one or two. And perhaps a few more who actually were like that for a short period of time when they started at Cambridge but came out of the phase usually after a year or so.
Most people go through many different phases, so it's better to take what they told you with a pinch of salt because they may be saying totally different thing when they come out of the particular phase they're happened to be at.

I was going to reply properly, but luckily (to me!) @alcibiade basically took word out of my mouth and saved my time. :smile:
I concur with everything he said as that's exactly what I've observed myself.

Just to add and elaborate a bit......
I do NOT know anyone who does not have at least one (more commonly two) extra-currucular activity they enjoy and is really passionate about along with their work.
It is very hard work and the life at Cambridge is really demanding and intense. Some of the first years (especially the students who came from less-competitive schooling background where they were easily the top of their cohort) find it more difficult than others to adjust to the new environment and take a bit longer to come to terms with the reality and accept that it's not necessary or possible to be the top all the time, but most will overcome the culture shock after a while.
Also some older student may go through so-called 'jaded second/third year' syndrome when they're so tired after continuous demand for hard work and start worrying about the future after graduation, but that's usually temporary (though some people's 'temporary' is longer than others) and most of them find a relief and comfort in the company of his peers and extra-curricular activities through club/society.
Most of them really work hard and play hard. And it's very important to have 'play' part or you'll go mental.

And very strong commoradey and unspoken respect for each other is something I've often noticed among the people I've known who were at Cambridge. And those relationship is often long lasting even after they graduated. I've always assumed it was because they were more like war buddies who shared the same hardship & fun and supported each other come rain or shine, rather than competitors.
Several member of my family went to Cambridge and the strong and long lasting friendship they have with their old Cambridge friends is something I've always thought the most precious thing they gained from being at Cambridge. (Much, much more than the perceived 'prestige' which is not always the case at all. The name of 'Cambridge' does not always work as many people assume.)
. You won't build that sort of relationship if everyone around you is your competitor who's trying to outperform you all the time.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by eniet

I will try not to repeat what the others have said as I mostly agree with them. However I think your perception that current students may not be as positive as those at other universities does have a grain of truth.It is hardly surprising when one group are facing a level of intensity similar to revising for A-levels without the joy of coming top, whereas the others are normally only part-time, less work than the start of sixth form.
However at school people do opt to revise for A-levels and in retrospect are glad they did so. This goes some way to explaining why post Cambridge students tend to be so much more positive about their time. Academically the courses are very rewarding, the teaching is excellent, ones friends are similarly committed to their subject and intellectually alike. Once you enter work you realise the preparation for the world of work both in terms of workload and skills achieved are immensely valuable.
Sometimes one doesn't ask the right questions of friends at other universities. Try asking them how much feedback they get on a one to one basis about their essays or how many one to one or two tutorials they get, or how often they go for hours without any teaching or with lecturers who seemed bored and so on. I had friends doing fewer essays a term than I had a fortnight. I think I can turn out a document at work, or absorb and analyse a great deal of new information much more quickly than had I not been at Cambridge.
Almost everybody engages with one or two extra-curricular activities. Few go clubbing every night or get up at lunchtime or go days without working. On the whole the Cambridge admissions system weeds out those for whom that is their ambition.
Where I disagree (with your assumption?) is that Cambridge is cut-throat competition. In my experience the competition is self-generated with many perfectionists who set themselves high standards and would have done so which ever university they went to. I think most students are very supportive of each other and the experience of not always being top is, in the long run, good for them.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Colmans
I will try not to repeat what the others have said as I mostly agree with them. However I think your perception that current students may not be as positive as those at other universities does have a grain of truth.It is hardly surprising when one group are facing a level of intensity similar to revising for A-levels without the joy of coming top, whereas the others are normally only part-time, less work than the start of sixth form.
However at school people do opt to revise for A-levels and in retrospect are glad they did so. This goes some way to explaining why post Cambridge students tend to be so much more positive about their time. Academically the courses are very rewarding, the teaching is excellent, ones friends are similarly committed to their subject and intellectually alike. Once you enter work you realise the preparation for the world of work both in terms of workload and skills achieved are immensely valuable.
Sometimes one doesn't ask the right questions of friends at other universities. Try asking them how much feedback they get on a one to one basis about their essays or how many one to one or two tutorials they get, or how often they go for hours without any teaching or with lecturers who seemed bored and so on. I had friends doing fewer essays a term than I had a fortnight. I think I can turn out a document at work, or absorb and analyse a great deal of new information much more quickly than had I not been at Cambridge.
Almost everybody engages with one or two extra-curricular activities. Few go clubbing every night or get up at lunchtime or go days without working. On the whole the Cambridge admissions system weeds out those for whom that is their ambition.
Where I disagree (with your assumption?) is that Cambridge is cut-throat competition. In my experience the competition is self-generated with many perfectionists who set themselves high standards and would have done so which ever university they went to. I think most students are very supportive of each other and the experience of not always being top is, in the long run, good for them.

PRSOM

Hat off to those who managed to go clubbing almost every night in Cambridge. Where did they go? Life > Cindies > bop > Fez > Lora and repeat the same thing every week? :biggrin:

I actually know a few (Arts subjects) who hardly ever woke up before lunch time except for a few days they had a lecture or supervision in the morning. One of them hardly ever got up before 2 pm most of the time......:and came out with first every year with distinction in the final year, now doing PhD there. Was a brilliant cox as well. :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by alcibiade
Speaking from what I have observed about my daughter's experience at Cam, I would have to say your perception is inaccurate in its assumptions.

First, the students are competitive, but less so with each other than from within. In other words, it is much less about cutthroat competition to "win" than it is about meeting their own standards for themselves. So far as I can tell, Cantabrigians enjoy their peers because of their caliber, they do not simply fight against them for a place in the grading hierarchy.

Second, to thrive there the student must be intensely committed to his/her subject - the workload is so heavy that if you don't love it, it will be a very painful slog.

Third, the student workload experience is about training oneself for the next step, i.e. forming habits that will place them in the real-world work environment at a high level. It can be very brutal, but it enhances endurance and efficiency in ways that are largely unavailable elsewhere. Of necessity, this requires choices about how a student spends his/her time. As they say, you will neglect your social life, extracurriculars, or your sleep - work is that important because they choose it to be so.

Taken all together, this makes the Cam experience extremely dense. They are busy because of their expectations for themselves, and when they play, they play very hard. About 20% of the students there suffer from some form of depression or anxiety.

I do not mean to disparage you, but the assumptions behind your questions appear to be those of a high school student just trying to get good grades and have enough time for fun. The equation at Cam is different - and it's not for everyone.

Thanks for this reply! It was quite informative, and I'll try to build on what you said here.

First off - and I guess I should have made this clearer in my original post - I try to keep as open mind as possible regarding Cambridge; my goal is to make an informed decision. Rather, these are observations and impressions based on what I've read and heard from an unfortunately small sample size.

I've heard the parallel between Cambridge and 'actual work' before and I do think it carries some weight. I wonder though if this line of reasoning reduces the 3 years of university studies to just an instrumental process of getting the qualifications you need, rather than treating it as I think it should be treated; 3 years of character-forming experiences which allows the student to discover the values they find important as well as find people they connect with. I think that this is one useful perspective among others for approaching the university.

I think that universities are best defined by their students and that how any particular individual experiences Cambridge (or any other university for that matter) is probably more related to their own persona rather than the institution. I think what you said about "their expectations for themselves" and "meeting their own standards for themselves" goes well with what I've read about the university; people at Cambridge are competitive because competitive people apply there.

And lastly, I'm actually a Finnish student studying in a Dutch Liberal Arts and Sciences -college. I have almost no clue what I want to do with my life or my studies yet. Whatever that might be, I hope that making the decision about Cambridge allows me to better define the values I find important.
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you have to have a genuine interest in your subject to enjoy Cambridge (this probably helps at any university). My time there was limited due to illness so I can't comment on how it feels to study there at exam time or when essays really pile up, but I think if you want to be happy there you have to be doing it for the subject and not just for the final grade. If you obsess over getting everything perfect, you'll end up stressed and feeling under pressure. If you take every essay as a challenge that you're genuinely excited about, then you'll enjoy the process of studying, your essays will be finished in time, and that will mean you feel less pressure. I loved the atmosphere of Cambridge, because it was so focussed on work, but it won't suit all personalities.
i throve on the Natural Science workload; six days a week without pay... but happy times.
Certainly not a student but I'm facebook friends with a few and have met others throughout the years.

My perception is that they have work hard-play hard philosophy while quieting down after lent term for exams.
Original post by eniet

I would agree with your perception, although it obviously depends on the individual.

See this post by a Cambridge graduate on here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1884064&page=365&highlight=&p=57213505#post57213505

I think it was pretty accurate, and as you can see, other Cambridge grads also agreed with it, and some disagreed, as you would expect. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
PRSOM

Hat off to those who managed to go clubbing almost every night in Cambridge. Where did they go? Life > Cindies > bop > Fez > Lora and repeat the same thing every week? :biggrin:

I actually know a few (Arts subjects) who hardly ever woke up before lunch time except for a few days they had a lecture or supervision in the morning. One of them hardly ever got up before 2 pm most of the time......:and came out with first every year with distinction in the final year, now doing PhD there. Was a brilliant cox as well. :wink:

Yes probably "none" would be more accurate. Your cox friend would be just plain irritating. Yet more proof that Economics is a science. Dismal or otherwise.
Original post by Colmans
Yes probably "none" would be more accurate. Your cox friend would be just plain irritating. Yet more proof that Economics is a science. Dismal or otherwise.

Lol
But if you knew what he went through, you wouldn't find him so irritating.

Spoiler

As a first year undergrad at Cambridge in my 5th week, I’ve had a great experience, if you are so passionate about your subject to apply for Cambridge, chances are that being there will be the most fulfilling experience. Everyone else is in a similar work situation so you don’t feel lonely or overwhelmed in that sense, I have great friends both in college (Fitzwilliam) and on my course (Philosophy). It’s true the nightlife isn’t great and the workload is heavy, but the payoff of getting personalised supervisions and having access to amazing lectures is far greater. I wouldn’t let anyone be put off by ‘how hard’ it is- if you love your subject like I do, the experience is amazing. One other thing however is that this experience may be relative to my college which is notoriously chilled and friendly- there’s not an extreme pressure here or a competitive environment. You don’t feel beat down by others and everyone supports each other. But yeah, although some things have been hard, I think Cambridge is brilliant, and the stigma that it’s horrible and competitive and brutal is just not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending