The Student Room Group

What a levels should I study for Architecture?

I want to pick Fine art and geography for my a level subjects and I wanted to pick Media Studies alongside (maths and physics are not in the question for me to take) but on the Cambridge website it states that "Cambridge does not typically offer vocational subjects, A Levels such as Business, Photography or Media Studies may not be as appropriate." I'm unsure what to do, or what other A level subjects I could do instead of media. helppp
Taking it as a third subject is likely less of an issue as long as you are taking traditionally academic subjects and/or relevant subjects for your other two. Also bear in mind architecture is the single most competitive course at Cambridge normally, so invariably it's going to be a dice roll application so I wouldn't suggest making decisions based on Cambridge by itself.

In any case, if it's available then something like history of art would be quite relevant. Any essay based subject would probably be useful background for any essay components of the course (Cambridge has more of these than most other architecture courses I believe). But really I'd just say if you prefer media studies to just do that and apply to Cambridge with it anyway - as noted, you can't "plan" for getting into Cambridge architecture really due to how small a course it is and how oversubscribed it is.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
Media Studies is not a smart idea if you are aiming at Oxbridge.

And if you are more interested in 'Art' and 'Media' than how buildings are actually constructed, then you might need to rethink Architecture in favour of Urban Studies, Town Planning, History of Art, Cultural Studies, Communication Studies etc. Look around - there may be other degree subjects that suit you far better.
Art and maths are strong subjects for an architecture degree. Physics would also be helpful. These will set you up with a solid background for an architecture degree. It's also possible unis will ask you for an artistic portfolio
Original post by miserosaa
I want to pick Fine art and geography for my a level subjects and I wanted to pick Media Studies alongside (maths and physics are not in the question for me to take) but on the Cambridge website it states that "Cambridge does not typically offer vocational subjects, A Levels such as Business, Photography or Media Studies may not be as appropriate." I'm unsure what to do, or what other A level subjects I could do instead of media. helppp

What are the other options available to you from your sixth form/college?

Is Design & Technology an option?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
What are the other options available to you from your sixth form/college?

Is Design & Technology an option?

Yes it is available however I studied it at GCSE and didn't enjoy it hence why I picked art besides - I don't think I'd be able to juggle two coursework subjects which sucks
Reply 6
Original post by McGinger
Media Studies is not a smart idea if you are aiming at Oxbridge.

And if you are more interested in 'Art' and 'Media' than how buildings are actually constructed, then you might need to rethink Architecture in favour of Urban Studies, Town Planning, History of Art, Cultural Studies, Communication Studies etc. Look around - there may be other degree subjects that suit you far better.

Architecture is something I'm certain I want to study, the only reason I am keen on studying Media Studies for a level is because I know it is a subject I will be good at, however I think I am leaning more towards politics instead
(edited 9 months ago)

Your subjects are fine for the majority of RIBA-validated architecture courses in the UK. Maths and/or physics are only required for a few courses so you will be able to apply to a lot of good architecture schools without them. There's a list of A levels required for architecture courses here:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

If you still have doubts about media studies, think about what other subjects you enjoyed at GCSE and did well in. Other subjects you could consider that often don't require a GCSE to study them - psychology, sociology, economics, politics, business.
Original post by super_kawaii
Art and maths are strong subjects for an architecture degree. Physics would also be helpful. These will set you up with a solid background for an architecture degree.

If this were true, why do the majority of courses not ask for maths or physics?
Original post by normaw
If this were true, why do the majority of courses not ask for maths or physics?

A lot of degree courses across a broad range of subjects don't ask for specific subjects at A Level. Doesn't mean some subjects aren't more helpful than others. Notice how I said the subjects were HELPFUL, instead of required.

Sheffield for example, asks for proof of artistic ability in the form of a portfolio for their architecture degree, despite not explicitly asking for art A Level. You know what helps get you proof of artistic ability in the form of a portfolio? Art!

If you're truly interested in a subject at uni, you'd want to take relevant subjects at post 16, regardless of post 18 requirement.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by super_kawaii
A lot of degree courses across a broad range of subjects don't ask for specific subjects at A Level. Doesn't mean some subjects aren't more helpful than others. Notice how I said the subjects were HELPFUL, instead of required.

Sheffield for example, asks for proof of artistic ability in the form of a portfolio for their architecture degree, despite not explicitly asking for art A Level. You know what helps get you proof of artistic ability in the form of a portfolio? Art!

If you're truly interested in a subject at uni, you'd want to take relevant subjects at post 16, regardless of post 18 requirement.

The maths and physics involved in an architecture degree are no more advanced than GCSE.

Architecture is a design based degree and career. It isn’t engineering
CA9939D9-EADA-4784-B458-46C548281634.png
Page 2 of RIBA’s architecture education booklet
(edited 8 months ago)

In my experience, as a current architecture student, most people on the course have some combination of art, stem (maths/physics) and humanities. Architecture is a bit of a jack of all trades degree that in most cases will include aspects of every subject you have done so far. It's not essential to have one of each, but it is very common. Having said that, any a level is a lot of work so make sure you pick something you will enjoy!
Best of luck
Original post by HannnahBen
In my experience, as a current architecture student, most people on the course have some combination of art, stem (maths/physics) and humanities. Architecture is a bit of a jack of all trades degree that in most cases will include aspects of every subject you have done so far. It's not essential to have one of each, but it is very common. Having said that, any a level is a lot of work so make sure you pick something you will enjoy!
Best of luck

Are you at a uni that requires specific subjects at A level?
Not compulsory but highly recommended ones

Quick Reply

Latest