The Student Room Group

Wicked (The Musical)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Excalibur
Just saw Wicked - I thought it was AMAZING :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: It's now one of my favourites, after Les Mis! I saw it with Kelly Ellis as Elphaba, Dianne Pilkington as Glinda and Oliver Tompsett as Fiyero. I'm not sure if I like the musical for its music - some of the tracks are brilliant ("For Good" is so moving! And so beautiful!) but the other ones are a bit forgettable. But I think the costumes, the actor(esses), the set, the story and the atmosphere makes it magical. :smile: And I like the fact that it's a great mix between being a funny, lighthearted musical to a show with poignancy and emotion. If I have the chance I'd like to see it again!

I saw it with exactly the same cast! Did you by any chance see it at the Apollo theatre?

AMAZING! Kerry Ellis played the witch so well and Dianne Pilkington fitted the part absolutely perfectly as she was so girly and naturally cheesy. She had me in stitches throughout the whole of it 'toss toss' LOL! I mean the special effects and costumes were brilliant but I couldn't believe how well the two main characters suited their roles. They were utterly convincing.

Sorry but it has just topped my altime favourite musical since I was about 6 (Les Mis). And my mum agrees :smile:
Reply 41
dancingbeth
I saw it with exactly the same cast! Did you by any chance see it at the Apollo theatre?

AMAZING! Kerry Ellis played the witch so well and Dianne Pilkington fitted the part absolutely perfectly as she was so girly and naturally cheesy. She had me in stitches throughout the whole of it 'toss toss' LOL! I mean the special effects and costumes were brilliant but I couldn't believe how well the two main characters suited their roles. They were utterly convincing.

Sorry but it has just topped my altime favourite musical since I was about 6 (Les Mis). And my mum agrees :smile:

Everyone who's seen it in London will have seen it at the Apollo.

I saw it when Helen Dallimore was G(a)linda, Adam Garcia was Fiyero (i've met him twice now! Got photos too :redface:), and Kerry Ellis' standby Shona White was Elphaba. If I'd have gone on the next day i'd have seen Kerry :mad:

Fantastic show though! And yes, 'toss toss' is THE funniest part of the show!
Reply 42
*sigh* Anyone who prefers the Wicked soundtrack to the Les Mis soundtrack clearly knows little/nothing about music.
Reply 43
Angelil
*sigh* Anyone who prefers the Wicked soundtrack to the Les Mis soundtrack clearly knows little/nothing about music.

My god, are you this arrogant in real life?

Just accept that there are a lot of people that like it... just because you don't doesn't automatically make it rubbish :rolleyes:
Reply 44
Lofty
My god, are you this arrogant in real life?

Just accept that there are a lot of people that like it... just because you don't doesn't automatically make it rubbish :rolleyes:

Thanks :rolleyes: Would you like to point out exactly where I said "I don't like it, so that automatically makes it rubbish?" It's not a good look, putting words in people's mouths...
Reply 45
Angelil
Thanks :rolleyes: Would you like to point out exactly where I said "I don't like it, so that automatically makes it rubbish?" It's not a good look, putting words in people's mouths...

Angelil

I'd say that pretty much covers it... OK, so not them exact words, but it makes the same point really doesn't it...
Reply 46
I'm going again on Wednesday (4th time!) to see the new cast and am soooo excited! I've seen it twice with Idina Menzel (phenonemal!) and once with Kerry Ellis (perfect!)

Such an INCREDIBLE musical!!!
Reply 47
I saw it at the Apollo and I loved it! Primarily because I thought it was HILARIOUS, omg I was in stitches everytime GAAHHHHlinda opened her mouth! And she told the Wicked Witch of the West something that no one ever told her in 'The Wizard of Oz', even though they quite clearly should have: 'They're JUST shoes. Now breeeaaaaathe... and - RELAX.' :biggrin:

The songs didn't really stand out for me ('cept for the fabulous 'Popular'), but Kerry Ellis's voice is so powerful that she managed to infuse even the most feeble tunes with a good dosage of oomph.

So myeah, excellent stuff.:cool:
Reply 48
"It's terrible, really, to have a house fall on you" :biggrin:
Reply 49
Or...''well we can't all come and go by bubble!''
Reply 50
Angelil

Did I say I prefered the Wicked SOUNDTRACK? No. I said I prefered the MUSICAL as a whole. As in I like the way they have made musicals so accessible to everyone as before my friends would just yawn at Les Mis and the other musicals I liked. Wicked is something everyone can enjoy as they may find it easier to relate to. I didn't once say the music was better; I love to listen to both just as much. You can't directly compare the two really and anyone who tries to is a complete fool. Les Mis is a masterpiece of musical talent but Wicked is just so darn funny. Full stop.

Are you really that arrogant and pompous to assume just because someone likes something different to you they know nothing about music?
Reply 51
soundtrack is great.... am reading the book.... quite political but im getting there!
Reply 52
I'll be the first to admit I hate people posting correcting people on things but i can't resist!
Nobody has seen Wicked at the Apollo Theatre in the Uk. They have seen it at the Apollo Victoria theatre. The Apollo theatre is a different theatre altogether on Shaftesbury Avenue.
Also nobody has listened to the Wicked SOUNDTRACK but they have listened to the CAST RECORDING. A Soundtrack is of a movie, and Cast Recording is of a stage show.

I'll shut up now :P
Reply 53
I always say soundtrack :redface:

-x-
Reply 54
I love Wicked :biggrin: Oliver Tompsett is so hott. I get to see it (for the 4th time lol) in Feb with my media class. We're looking at stuff like the BBC but my teacher said we're see a West End show as well and when she said Wicked I kinda freaked out in front of the whole class. Got a few weird looks lol :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8p1aBvyDY

Thought you might like this, if you've seen Avenue Q then this version of Popular should make you smille.
Reply 56
Expression
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn8p1aBvyDY

Thought you might like this, if you've seen Avenue Q then this version of Popular should make you smille.

I dont usually like Avenue Q (the puppets freak me out :redface: ) but that was hilarious, i love that!
Hev456
I dont usually like Avenue Q (the puppets freak me out :redface: ) but that was hilarious, i love that!

"Yo bitches wanna come hang with the Monster and get funky?" :biggrin:

Have to love Trekkie.
Reply 58
Trekkie in the video is sooo funny! Love it!

-x-
Really good show! And their student offer is fantastic!

Quick Reply

Latest