The Student Room Group

Id like to write a short novella about..

something to do with an interracial relationship, more specifically a vietnamese/white british relationship......but i have no idea where i want to take that idea further....anyone here who writes could maybe help me? I got A* in English so i think im capable of writing a novella.

please help!
I've heard using the 'Snowflake Method' is useful for writing and getting started on generating ideas.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/
Reply 2
Original post by a noble chance
If you are capable of writing a novella then you should not require other people to give you ideas and inspiration. Either you are idly waiting for them to chance upon you - (which is like trying to sustain a living by playing the National Lottery) - or you simply do not have the ability to slave away at a desk carving out a novella from an intimidating block of stone until you chance upon changes etc. by your own industry.

i completely disagree with what you've said, what wrong with getting inspired by other people? its called bouncing ideas....clearly if you worked in a creative industry you'd know what i was on about.

how dare you say im not able to 'slave away at a desk', as a graphic designer i do enough slaving away at desks, possibly more than you have done so id really not say things like that to people you know nothing about. idiot.
Reply 3
Original post by PAStudent1996
I've heard using the 'Snowflake Method' is useful for writing and getting started on generating ideas.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/articles/snowflake-method/

this is something along the lines i was looking for, thanks!
Original post by Justmoll28
i completely disagree with what you've said, what wrong with getting inspired by other people? its called bouncing ideas....clearly if you worked in a creative industry you'd know what i was on about.

how dare you say im not able to 'slave away at a desk', as a graphic designer i do enough slaving away at desks, possibly more than you have done so id really not say things like that to people you know nothing about. idiot.

A volatile nutcase who is never going to produce any literature worth reading.
Reply 5
An volatile nutcase who is never going to produce any literature worth reading.

are you talking about yourself?:smile:
are you talking about yourself?:smile:

You responded to an objective and well-meaning post outlining the realities of the situation with explosive anger and personal hatred. My first suggestion would be to see more of the world before thinking that you are in any position to contribute to the cultural heritage of humanity by writing a novella.

If you absolutely insist on ignoring this advice then I would suggest writing as the solution. You are not going to work out your plot line by asking people on the internet to do it for you. It sounds to me as if this is a vanity project. That means that you are planning to write a novella for the sake of having written a novella rather than because you actually want to write a novella. You should know at least roughly what it is about. You should want to write fiction because you want to share something in your experience in a way that hasn't been done before. You should figure out the details by drafting and re-drafting to an exhausting extent. If all you are decided upon about the content of your work of literary fiction is that it involves a romantic relationship between two people then I would politely suggest that you either seriously knuckle down or abandon the project altogether and focus your energies elsewhere. Social mobility is of little relevance here and your A* in English is of absolutely no impact to your ability and suitability. You may yet win the Man Booker but it is as simple as having something worth hearing to say and writing a disgusting amount. People who should be writing know that instinctively.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
You responded to an objective and well-meaning post outlining the realities of the situation with explosive anger and personal hatred. My first suggestion would be to see more of the world before thinking that you are in any position to contribute to the cultural heritage of humanity by writing a novella.

If you absolutely insist on ignoring this advice then I would suggest writing as the solution. You are not going to work out your plot line by asking people on the internet to do it for you. It sounds to me as if this is a vanity project. That means that you are planning to write a novella for the sake of having written a novella rather than because you actually want to write a novella. You should know at least roughly what it is about. You should want to write fiction because you want to share something in your experience in a way that hasn't been done before. You should figure out the details by drafting and re-drafting to an exhausting extent. If all you are decided upon about the content of your work of literary fiction is that it involves a romantic relationship between two people then I would politely suggest that you either seriously knuckle down or abandon the project altogether and focus your energies elsewhere, because it indicates that you are entirely not cut of the cloth to be a writer of serious fiction. Social mobility is of little relevance here and your A* in English is of absolutely no impact to your ability and suitability. You may yet win the Man Booker but it is as simple as writing a disgusting amount. People who should be writing know that instinctively.

firstly, you don't even know me so who gives you the authority to say i need to see more of the world before writing? You know what I think? I think you're jealous or something along those lines for you to be so negative from the very beginning of this thread.

Secondly, Ive already said i want to bounce ideas with people, not get them to give me a whole plot just ready made for me. Also, if i was writing for the sake of it, why the **** am I up at almost 3am trying to come up with a plot myself? I really dont know how you can have this negative outlook on my one idea.

For the record, I have the main outline of the story because it is my relationship Im going to be writing about so I dont think i have to either 'knuckle down or abandon ship'.

Why are you being so rude to me?
Reply 8
Step 1. Base it off your life experiences, television show, or books. Watch/read romance books or tv shows or base your characters on your experience on meeting your significant other. Gain inspiration.

Step 2. Make it realistic as if your main characters are the everyday people you witness or known yourself. The couple you plan on creating are your parents, you, your bff, idk. Like they're real people. They exist on this planet right now and just need author to tell their story.

Step 3. What is the plot, how do they did meet, what similarities do they have, what are their cultural backgrounds, and yadda yadda.

Step 4. Imagination.

I hope this helps because I'm not sure if I answered question and just made it up on the spot. Try researching Vietnamese culture.
something to do with an interracial relationship, more specifically a vietnamese/white british relationship......but i have no idea where i want to take that idea further....anyone here who writes could maybe help me? I got A* in English so i think im capable of writing a novella.

please help!

idk Miss Saigon

blimey they did not like your idea :eek:

anyway i am sure your novella will be lovely. there are load of informations about vietnam on the interwebs.

good luck :h:

please help!

This interracial couple should team up with a gunslinger, and then travel through a post apocalyptic wasteland in search of a mythical tower that stands at the centre of all universes, where they will attempt to reverse the decay of reality...... Oh wait.

If you absolutely insist on ignoring this advice then I would suggest writing as the solution. You are not going to work out your plot line by asking people on the internet to do it for you. It sounds to me as if this is a vanity project. That means that you are planning to write a novella for the sake of having written a novella rather than because you actually want to write a novella. You should know at least roughly what it is about. You should want to write fiction because you want to share something in your experience in a way that hasn't been done before. You should figure out the details by drafting and re-drafting to an exhausting extent. If all you are decided upon about the content of your work of literary fiction is that it involves a romantic relationship between two people then I would politely suggest that you either seriously knuckle down or abandon the project altogether and focus your energies elsewhere. Social mobility is of little relevance here and your A* in English is of absolutely no impact to your ability and suitability. You may yet win the Man Booker but it is as simple as having something worth hearing to say and writing a disgusting amount. People who should be writing know that instinctively.

Thinking about 'The Luminaries' whilst writing up that description by any chance? :redface:

Spoiler

Follow your heart! :h:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Thinking about 'The Luminaries' whilst writing up that description by any chance? :redface:

Spoiler

Not read it, please explain.
I am white British, if you have a Vietnamese friend (or friends). I could just tell you what we got up to.

Weekends preferred. Let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending