The Student Room Group

What is happening with my coolant tank and the water in it ? please help me somebody

I am absolutely sick of my car's failing on me week after week, car after car. I feel like getting rid of my car and never getting another car again, but I love driving , it gives me freedom and I don't have much in life so my car means a lot to me

I have already paid for a Head gasket job that was diagnosed by a garage 2 days after buying it ( my current car) they charged £850 but several mechanics from elsewhere told me looks like only water pump was replaced.

THE QUESTION BIT BELOW, PLEASE GIVE ME A DECENT ANSWER

I have had this car overheat on me several times before, leaking hoses e.t.c. but no lasting damage and had them replaced.

Most recently car expansion bottle was leaking, so I bought a used one and put it on ( would have bought new but was a 1 week delivery and needed it asap so bought used)
after putting replacement tank on I notice when I check coolant when it is hot the level is lower than it is at when coolant is cold ( which is odd as coolant should be showing a higher level when hot as it expands )
When coolant is cold it shows a higher level than when hot.

Anyway I noticed every couple of days I check coolant and the level seems to be dropping, filled it to max line 2 weeks ago and it was below min today, I have already had several hoses replaced and expansion tank replaced, can't see any water leak anywhere

please help
Reply 1
You could have a small leak somewhere that you can't see. Take a look at the radiator perhaps for signs of corrosion externally that would point to the location of a leak. You won't necessarily see a stream of water pouring out of your car! My car tends to get thirstier in the winter than in the summer. No idea why.
Reply 2
Original post by Talon
You could have a small leak somewhere that you can't see. Take a look at the radiator perhaps for signs of corrosion externally that would point to the location of a leak. You won't necessarily see a stream of water pouring out of your car! My car tends to get thirstier in the winter than in the summer. No idea why.

Thanks, might try that

But why does the coolant in the expansion tank appear lower than it does when the water is cold ?
Pressure test the coolant system. You have a leak somewhere, probably high up, letting air in and coolant bleed into the expansion tank...
Reply 4
Original post by CurlyBen
Pressure test the coolant system. You have a leak somewhere, probably high up, letting air in and coolant bleed into the expansion tank...

would a pressure test show any leaks ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending