The Student Room Group

I finished a sentence after my exam had finished, what will happen?

I was in my chem paper 1 today and got caught finishing my sentence for 5 secs after time had been called. They reported it to my exam leader who made me write a statement and reported me to the exam board. I'm really worried about getting a U or even disqualified but it's my first and will be only offence. Please help? What will happen? I need this for my science grades to get into college and my mum will probably kick me out if i don't get into a college
I'm sure nothing too serious would happen, it is a child's GCSE after all however, I think its best if you talk to your exam officer (the one who organises exam timetables and in charge of everything) see what they say.

Hopefully nothing bad would happen otherwise they would have told you then and there that you committed an offence or malpractice or something like that. But then again you did fill out a form so ;/
Original post by OniXtrous
I was in my chem paper 1 today and got caught finishing my sentence for 5 secs after time had been called. They reported it to my exam leader who made me write a statement and reported me to the exam board. I'm really worried about getting a U or even disqualified but it's my first and will be only offence. Please help? What will happen? I need this for my science grades to get into college and my mum will probably kick me out if i don't get into a college

It will depend on whether your centre decide to submit the malpractice statement and Exactly how it's worded but the standard penalty for writing for a short period after being told to stop is a formal warning. You would have to have written a significant amount to lose marks. So most likely, no loss or marks and absolutely definitely not a disqualification. UNLESS YOU DO IT AGAIN.......

Google JCQ malpractice if you want to read about the process and scale of penalties for different offences.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3

What did you write in the statement?

I don't have any experience with this so it's pure conjecture, but I can't imagine that 5 seconds would be long enough to get disqualified. If it is, our assessment system is even more broken than I thought.
If you were only writing for a short amount of time, you will receive a warning. If you are deemed to have continued writing for a significant length of time, you may lose marks. The maximum punishment you could get if it is deemed significant is a loss of all marks for that paper but it doesn't seem like it'd come to that. (then again I'm by no means experienced in this)
Reply 5
Original post by kpwxx
What did you write in the statement?

I don't have any experience with this so it's pure conjecture, but I can't imagine that 5 seconds would be long enough to get disqualified. If it is, our assessment system is even more broken than I thought.

all i wrote was that i did indeed write after i was td not to, wrote a maximum of 10 words and won't do it again and did so because i was stressed and didn't know how to cope with an incomplete sentence
Reply 6
all i wrote was that i did indeed write after i was td not to, wrote a maximum of 10 words and won't do it again and did so because i was stressed and didn't know how to cope with an incomplete sentence

That sounds like a good statement, based on what others have said above I think you'll be fine.

I know it can be tricky, but try not to worry too much about this. In this kind of situation, there is nothing more you can do right now, and worrying will contribute nothing. Better to push it to the side and focus on your other exams, or taking some time for yourself after they're done.
It happened with me when I did my GCSE English last year, but I was still able to get the grade I wanted.
Marshal Zhukov will be dug up, and before you know it he will be leading an enormous coalition of 3.4 million soldiers and 340,000 tanks and 16 ballistic missiles to attack your house.

The same thing happened to me yesterday in my A level Biology exam, can you please let me know what happened to you? Because I’m really stressed😭

hii may i know what happened after??

Quick Reply

Latest