The Student Room Group

North Korea is an infinitely bigger threat than ISIS, why aren't we intervening?

North Korea recently tested a hydrogen bomb, and launched a satellite which has been determined by experts to be at an ineffective orbital height for regular satellite purposes, so its likely to be nuclear related.

Why are we trying to crush terrorist groups who can inflict a death toll of between 5 and 200 deaths in one attack on westerners, when we have individuals like Kim Jong Un openly threatening to violate the UN and launch nuclear weapons?

I think the government should not be discussing what to do about a terrorist group, similar to those which have already existed for decades, and instead discuss how to make sure that North Korea never ever launched a nuclear weapon. And the same applies to the living conditions in North Korea, I believe they are as bad, if not worse than the conditions in Syria. In Syria, people are able to move and are actively leaving the country, whereas in North Korea it is much more difficult to leave.

Sorting out North Korea would relieve a massive human rights violation and prevent the possibility of a nuclear war started by Kim Jong Un. Sorting out ISIS, so far, has done nothing for us apart from make the UK look to be co-operating with other European countries.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frank Underwood
North Korea recently tested a hydrogen bomb, and launched a satellite which has been determined by experts to be at an ineffective orbital height for regular satellite purposes, so its likely to be nuclear related.

Why are we trying to crush terrorist groups who can inflict a death toll of between 5 and 200 deaths in one attack on westerners, when we have individuals like Kim Jong Un openly threatening to violate the UN and launch nuclear weapons?

I think the government should not be discussing what to do about a terrorist group, similar to those which have already existed for decades, and instead discuss how to make sure that North Korea never ever launched a nuclear weapon. And the same applies to the living conditions in North Korea, I believe they are as bad, if not worse than the conditions in Syria. In Syria, people are able to move and are actively leaving the country, whereas in North Korea it is much more difficult to leave.

Sorting out North Korea would relieve a massive human rights violation and prevent the possibility of a nuclear war started by Kim Jong Un. Sorting out ISIS, so far, has done nothing for us apart from make the UK look to be co-operating with other European countries.

Intervention is not just about eradicating the threat. It's about protecting selfish interests a lot of the time. Go figure.
Original post by Ethereal World
Intervention is not just about eradicating the threat. It's about protecting selfish interests a lot of the time. Go figure.

Maybe but I believe it is in the self interest of every single person in the world to prevent someone like Kim Jong Un using intercontinental nuclear weapons, whereas bombing ISIS does little to help the UK.
X

Because Franke...Can I call you that?

It wouldn't be in the best interest of the country seeing as one of the world's up and coming superpowers (yes, China), happens to be an ally of North Korea.
Reply 4
You actually think NK detonated an H bomb....
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I don't think Kim is a dictator. He is not like his father or his grandfather in many ways. He is forced to act as a dictator by the dictatorial system, but time will prove him to be a reformist (my gut feeling). The current instability and tension between the ruling family and the military cannot be explained without considering the possibility of the young leader being radically different to his father. Perhaps he himself will be assassinated but this would mean civil war...
If you're going to make wild accusations then at least muster the courage quote me directly.

No one's a warmonger here, it's possible, as with Iran, to negotiate and stop a country's nuclear programme.
says the UKIP supporter, lol
Because North Korea has the means to inflict massive casualties maybe not to the west but to South Korea, most of the major cities in South Korea would be obliterated by either nuclear weapons or by a large scale conventional shelling that would kill Millions.

The west would have no issues defeating them but it would be at a huge price to our allies in that part of the world.

Part of me however thinks that we should deal with the threat before they develop their nuclear capability even further to the point where they pose a risk to the west. Hopefully in time Kim Jong Un and his horrible family die out and North Korea 'liberates itself' from their grasp.
(edited 8 years ago)

China has NKs back, next question.
Original post by EccentricDiamond
China has NKs back, next question.

This undermines the UN in every way, massive powerful countries preventing us from enforcing rules which need to be there.
they don't pose an immediate threat, only a potential
With everyone's fingers in everyone's pies, there's no such thing as "dealing with North Korea".
BECUASE ITS NOT OUR DAAAMN MOVER****ING BUSINESS. THE WEST GETS INVOLVED IN TOO MUCH BLOODY AFFAIRS. STOP BEING NOSY YOU DAMN PRICKS #CameronSuckObamasDick

If the west declared war on North korea then NK would nuke anyone it can.
because our governments don't socially construct north korea as a security threat, because (mostly) they aren't bombing us, and their relative abilities to harm us are very limited
Original post by ethereal world
intervention is not just about eradicating the threat. It's about protecting selfish interests a lot of the time. Go figure.

brutality
Original post by sleepysnooze
because our governments don't socially construct north korea as a security threat, because (mostly) they aren't bombing us, and their relative abilities to harm us are very limited

Iraq wasnt a direct threat to the uk either but we still got involved.

And why was that?:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending