The Student Room Group

AQA BUSS3/BUSS4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imran_
did we have to have examples on all parts of buss4?

I personally would have examples for all of the topics. I did you can try use one example for multiple topics if you do little more digging. I could send you my examples if I still have them but I feel its better to get your own because you will more likely remember them. During your last few revision sessions I would focus on linking examples to theories because you can also use BUSS For examples in BUSS 3 say for example a firm is thinking of moving into international markets. You would NEED to use references from the case study. But you can reinforce it with BUSS 4 examples like Apples move into China was is a successful example of diversification into other markets. Thats all well and good but don't forget to use the Case study for BUSS 3.
Reply 61
Original post by Aidan.reed
I personally would have examples for all of the topics. I did you can try use one example for multiple topics if you do little more digging. I could send you my examples if I still have them but I feel its better to get your own because you will more likely remember them. During your last few revision sessions I would focus on linking examples to theories because you can also use BUSS For examples in BUSS 3 say for example a firm is thinking of moving into international markets. You would NEED to use references from the case study. But you can reinforce it with BUSS 4 examples like Apples move into China was is a successful example of diversification into other markets. Thats all well and good but don't forget to use the Case study for BUSS 3.

would you mind uploading your examples please ;D
also do you have any tips for BUSS1/2 as im ressiting these exams next week
Here you go!
As for BUSS1/2 I can't say it enough use the case studies at every opportunity it provides your answers with context. Also I would learn all the calculations you require as its valuable time you can save and spend writing your answer!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Here you go!
As for BUSS1/2 I can't say it enough use the case studies at every opportunity it provides your answers with context. Also I would learn all the calculations you require as its valuable time you can save and spend writing your answer!

thank you so much! also as EU is in the spec, will they be able to relate a whole question to the EU? i feel as though this is more of an economics type of question
Original post by imran_
thank you so much! also as EU is in the spec, will they be able to relate a whole question to the EU? i feel as though this is more of an economics type of question

Ok, I thought section a was E-commerce this year? I cannot see them personally dedicating a question to the EU, although section A was manufacturing last year was literally all about the EU. Although the EU is right around the corner I wouldn't put it past them. The Economics regarding the departure from the EU is taught in the course in regards to things like quotas.
Things to think of if EU comes up
The impact of leaving
- Loss of competitiveness - As a result of higher prices in that market
- Loss of investment - You could mention how a lack of investment strangles companies Mention Nokia here the best example ever!
- Loss of workforce - depending on the sector it can impact the availability of workers both positively and negatively
- Increase in costs - costs would increase for some firms if the UK left the EU when importing materials

Hope that helps
Reply 65
Ok, I thought section a was E-commerce this year? I cannot see them personally dedicating a question to the EU, although section A was manufacturing last year was literally all about the EU. Although the EU is right around the corner I wouldn't put it past them. The Economics regarding the departure from the EU is taught in the course in regards to things like quotas.
Things to think of if EU comes up
The impact of leaving
- Loss of competitiveness - As a result of higher prices in that market
- Loss of investment - You could mention how a lack of investment strangles companies Mention Nokia here the best example ever!
- Loss of workforce - depending on the sector it can impact the availability of workers both positively and negatively
- Increase in costs - costs would increase for some firms if the UK left the EU when importing materials

Hope that helps

thank you, what would be the advantages of leaving the Eu in terms of businesses
Original post by imran_
thank you, what would be the advantages of leaving the Eu in terms of businesses

Ok here is my template from last year

Q - Would EU membership be in the best interest of UK businesses?

Point 1 (For) Most important trading region

- largest single market (bigger than US+JAPAN)

- combined GDP £11TRN

- 500m provides relatively level playing field to uk trade

- free trade - no tariff or custom duties

- common set of rules firms dont need to comply with 27 different set of regulations

- Exports 60% to EU £200bn US JUST 13%

- CBI estimated 3.5m directly/indirectly linked to EU

- Free movement of labour - allows firms to recruit from larger pool

- Uk firms exploited to tackle skills shortage

- Uk business positive about EU benefits

- CBI 71% reported positive benefits 13% negative 78bn benefits

Point 2 (For) uncertainty existing/ future investment

- EU membership significant flow of capital from EU andbeyond

- capital flows doubled since the single market EU

- UK benefited from £1.2trn FDI

- Brexit threatening existing and future investment

- Nissan consider current and future investment

- considers factory european asset located in UK

- Ford Steve Odell - strongly advice against Brexit

- for business and employment for UK

- FT reported US finance citigroup Morgan Stanley

- contingency plans to relocate to ireland

- speculation threats there seems concern among major outside investors

Point 3 (Against) Looking Beyond EU - Emerging markets

- weakness of EU economy UK businesses need to grow with fastergrowing economies - china - Malaysia, - india - brasil

- Brexit reset fiancial regulatins to its own free trade interests

- allowing uk to integrate into global economy rather than regional

- better off out - potential savings from EU regulation costs

- small firms benefit free from £42bn red tape

- Eu regulation costs 6% GDP - £90bn

- Cost of EU membership 11%

- evidence significantly fewer regulations with greater trade with emerging economies

Evaluation : Evaluation - membership best interest of firms

- benefits of operating in the single market

- strong flows of investment

- UK is a prime location for firms wanting to operate in the EU

- without FDI sectors significantly weaker

- Manufacturing has benefited from FDI

- free movement of labour become even more significant as labour market tightens due to skills shortages

- its important to distinguish between economic and political

- but CBI report cannot be ignored - firms want the EU

Reply 67
Ok here is my template from last year

Q - Would EU membership be in the best interest of UK businesses?

Point 1 (For) Most important trading region

- largest single market (bigger than US+JAPAN)

- combined GDP £11TRN

- 500m provides relatively level playing field to uk trade

- free trade - no tariff or custom duties

- common set of rules firms dont need to comply with 27 different set of regulations

- Exports 60% to EU £200bn US JUST 13%

- CBI estimated 3.5m directly/indirectly linked to EU

- Free movement of labour - allows firms to recruit from larger pool

- Uk firms exploited to tackle skills shortage

- Uk business positive about EU benefits

- CBI 71% reported positive benefits 13% negative 78bn benefits

Point 2 (For) uncertainty existing/ future investment

- EU membership significant flow of capital from EU andbeyond

- capital flows doubled since the single market EU

- UK benefited from £1.2trn FDI

- Brexit threatening existing and future investment

- Nissan consider current and future investment

- considers factory european asset located in UK

- Ford Steve Odell - strongly advice against Brexit

- for business and employment for UK

- FT reported US finance citigroup Morgan Stanley

- contingency plans to relocate to ireland

- speculation threats there seems concern among major outside investors

Point 3 (Against) Looking Beyond EU - Emerging markets

- weakness of EU economy UK businesses need to grow with fastergrowing economies - china - Malaysia, - india - brasil

- Brexit reset fiancial regulatins to its own free trade interests

- allowing uk to integrate into global economy rather than regional

- better off out - potential savings from EU regulation costs

- small firms benefit free from £42bn red tape

- Eu regulation costs 6% GDP - £90bn

- Cost of EU membership 11%

- evidence significantly fewer regulations with greater trade with emerging economies

Evaluation : Evaluation - membership best interest of firms

- benefits of operating in the single market

- strong flows of investment

- UK is a prime location for firms wanting to operate in the EU

- without FDI sectors significantly weaker

- Manufacturing has benefited from FDI

- free movement of labour become even more significant as labour market tightens due to skills shortages

- its important to distinguish between economic and political

- but CBI report cannot be ignored - firms want the EU

Thank you so much!
Does anyone have BUSS1 JAN12 MS?
Reply 69
Original post by theasian_csl
Does anyone have BUSS1 JAN12 MS?

http://freeexampapers.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=101&jsmallfib=1&dir=JSROOT/A-Level/Business-Studies/AQA/2130

im resitting this module too, what topics do you think are gonna come up?
Reply 70
I am doing an essay:

" To what extent are distribution and logistics the most important factor determining the success of an e-commerce strategy" 40 Marks

What points would you include, with reference to examples?
I'm confused as to whether the last two chapters of the specification - making strategic decisions and implementing; and managing change - need to be learnt (for anyone with the Gwen Coates and John Wolinski book, this is chapter 30 & 31)

Could someone please enlighten me, thanks
Reply 72
Original post by De Re Publica
I'm confused as to whether the last two chapters of the specification - making strategic decisions and implementing; and managing change - need to be learnt (for anyone with the Gwen Coates and John Wolinski book, this is chapter 30 & 31)

Could someone please enlighten me, thanks

Yeah they do need to be learnt
Original post by gkgs
Yeah they do need to be learnt

What examples have you found for the last chapter - can't find any??
If anyone is looking for revision notes for WJEC Business studies AS, you can download them from here. I have made them using notes my teacher has given me.

https://www.stuvia.co.uk/doc/228857
Here you go!

thanks for these but aren't they a little bit detailed - you don't need to know facts and figures
Cant find BUSS1 JUN12 Mark scheme .. Anyone help /???
Original post by JoshFlySon
thanks for these but aren't they a little bit detailed - you don't need to know facts and figures

Hi, for BUSS 4, Yes you absolutely do, considering I got full ums in both BUSS3/4. It gives your answers application you don't need to go overboard with them. But it helps to have some for each question type. Its almost like food seasoning to give your answer some flavour
Guys I had had lots of requests for specific materials. Below is all my materials from my business course, mind maps, research and theory notes.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jas35pkvxpo2whd/AADXdx-FvFSvyWUtpkohDQ6na?dl=0

I wish you all the best for your exam.
Original post by Jessedge
Hi,
Struggling to revise for BUSS4, for BUSS I have done mind maps around the syllabus but its the exam technique that will get you all the marks i.e. clear lines of analysis and use of business examples and business models. not looking forward to either of the exams to be honest. Also resitting both BUSS1 and BUSS2, but they are much easier to revise for as the exam technique is easier to understand.

Did you do the buss 1 resit on thursday.. how did you find it and what did you get for the calculations
Im doing both resits too and it doesnt seem like many people are so just wanted to get some possible answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending