The Student Room Group

University Centre Farnborough Psychology and Criminology

Hello!
I've received an unconditional offer from UCF in Psychology and Criminology and was wondering if anyone else has!
Original post by fishcaked
Hello!
I've received an unconditional offer from UCF in Psychology and Criminology and was wondering if anyone else has!

I have checked the BPS website and Farnborough course website:
http://www.farn-ct.ac.uk/subjects/psychology/bsc-hons-in-psychology-and-criminology%20-%20HA

If that is the right course, then as far as I can tell then it is NOT BPS accredited.
If you plan to have a career within Psychology (whether as a qualified psychologist, PWP role or any other that requires a BSc in Psychology) then you should not do this course. Without GBC (resulting from a BPS accredited course) you will be unable to progress down that career path.

Even if you have no intention of pursuing a Psychology career, I would still be highly skeptical of a non-BPS accredited degree. The accreditation ensures the course content is of a sufficient standard.

Sorry if this course was your only option, but it'd be much worse if you graduated and then found the degree to be worthless.
Reply 2
I have also been accepted onto the course. After looking at the prospectus, it appears that the Psychology and Criminolgy course is now BPS accredited!
Original post by psyc12
I have also been accepted onto the course. After looking at the prospectus, it appears that the Psychology and Criminolgy course is now BPS accredited!

Are you sure? I've had a look on the BPS website (
http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?frmAction=results&CourseType=UG&Search_Type=NC) and Farnborough isn't listed on their at all which suggests that it is not (unless I'm missing it?) What does their prospectus say?
I, too, have checked the website.
Whilst I can't tell if it's accredited or not, the degree itself comes from Surrey University, which does hold the accredited status of the course. The prospectus does say its accredited for entry, but it hasn't been updates in a while.
Also, quite a few universities who don't have psychology accredited and it's not the end of the world. These universities push you to do a conversion course Masters in degree, which is another year on top of study and you end up with a Masters' degree which is accreditation. As the degree in Farnborough is fast tracked, so two years, by the time you add the conversion course (if it isn't accredited) it'll bring it to three years of study for a Masters' degree. Seems like a good plan to me, much more cost effective.
Here is the link for the conversion courses;
http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac?StartRow=1&StepSize=25&frmAction=results&Course_IDs_Selected=&CourseType=CONV&Search_Type=NC&LEVEL=&PROGRAMME=&INSTITUTION_NUMBER=&PROGRAMME_TYPE=&TRAINING_COMMITTEE=&DISTANCEBLENDED=&OrderBy=NAME&OrderDir=ASC&Programmes_ThisPage=1875%2C1672%2C1835%2C1400%2C1398%2C1752%2C1598%2C1681%2C1337%2C1710%2C548%2C971%2C107%2C792%2C1738%2C1005%2C1788%2C1561%2C1563

So, I wouldn't be overly worried as many people go on to do a Masters' degree anyway as it furthers what you can do in psychology dramatically. If it's local to you, it's cheaper, got a really good bursary scheme as well, as well as a good class size ratio.

TL;DR : It might be accredited as stated in the prospectus, or because it's awarded via Surrey university, but if not there are many other universities that aren't accredited and you can get a conversion course to come out with a Masters' degree which is accredited, in the same amount of time other students would get a normal BSc degree which is accredited too.
That message was quite confusing, sorry if it didn't make too much sense, but I hoped it helped :smile:
Reply 6
In the prospectus it says it is but then says not for 2016. I have checked with the college and it is not BPS accredited unfortunately
My message is still in moderation, but even if it's not BPS accredited, some universities aren't and they'll get you in to do a masters' conversion course at a different university - and working it out, you'll receive a masters' degree in 3 years rather than four, and about £15,000 cheaper too :smile:
Original post by BooksAndMuffins
My message is still in moderation, but even if it's not BPS accredited, some universities aren't and they'll get you in to do a masters' conversion course at a different university - and working it out, you'll receive a masters' degree in 3 years rather than four, and about £15,000 cheaper too :smile:

No no no

You do the three year degree and then you pay to do a conversion masters. It's still four years and you still pay.
My message is still in moderation, which isn't make this easy. I keep forgetting people can't see it until it's approved.

The Farnborough course is fast track, which is two year. It's fees are eight thousand rather than nine, which means it's two grand cheaper for the two years, and then nine grand from the third year. Eleven grand cheaper so far.
Many students do a Masters' psychology to start with at 4x9000 however the conversion cost for the courses is between £6000-£8000 (I mean, a few might be more or less but I've only look at a few around that area) so it;s about cheaper at around £14,000 or £15,000 it all depends (if you take the Masters' at Oxford Brookes, rather than Surrey,) than doing a Masters' at an accredited university.
Messier, yes, but slightly cheaper.

However, it's up to the people who want to go to Farnborough as to what they want to do.
My message is still in moderation, which isn't make this easy. I keep forgetting people can't see it until it's approved.

The Farnborough course is fast track, which is two year. It's fees are eight thousand rather than nine, which means it's two grand cheaper for the two years, and then nine grand from the third year. Eleven grand cheaper so far.
Many students do a Masters' psychology to start with at 4x9000 however the conversion cost for the courses is between £6000-£8000 (I mean, a few might be more or less but I've only look at a few around that area) so it;s about cheaper at around £14,000 or £15,000 it all depends (if you take the Masters' at Oxford Brookes, rather than Surrey,) than doing a Masters' at an accredited university.

However, it's up to the people who want to go to Farnborough as to what they want to do.

I'm not entirely sure if this is making sense, I did work it out when it first came up but I've just got home from a night shift and i'm very tired, but hopefully you understand the rough message

That's sounds very messy haha

Quick Reply

Latest