The Student Room Group

Row reduction to row echelon form

I'm having a lot of trouble with this question; I get everything being = 0 for 1a, which I think is wrong, and for 1b I can't get it into row echelon form. Could someone help me please?
HW help.png
Reply 1
Original post by nigelh456
I'm having a lot of trouble with this question; I get everything being = 0 for 1a, which I think is wrong, and for 1b I can't get it into row echelon form. Could someone help me please?
HW help.png

I could but I am off to work until 20.30 tonight
hopefully some one else might be around until then
HW help.png

1a looks like it has a parametric solution.
Reply 3
Original post by zetamcfc
1a looks like it has a parametric solution.

I'm pretty bad at maths so I don't even know what that means hahaha could you explain it to me?
Reply 4
HW help.png

Show working? Haven't checked but row reducing yields x = 0, y = (3/2)z for me
I'm pretty bad at maths so I don't even know what that means hahaha could you explain it to me?

Well first off, explain how you got everything being 0 for 1a.
Reply 6
Well first off, explain how you got everything being 0 for 1a.

okay so I've figured out where I went wrong and redone it. Does this look okay?

Looks good, don't have the time to go through b) but it's probably right :smile:

I thought there couldn't be any non-zero elements above and below the leading 1 for reduced echelon form ?
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I thought there couldn't be any non-zero elements above and below the leading 1 for reduced echelon form ?

Lol, you're right, I just thought it wanted the answer. Well just a few more manipulations for OP to do, but nothing too drastic (I think).
(edited 8 years ago)
Lol, you're right, I just thought it wanted the answer. Well just a few more manipulations for OP to do, but nothing too drastic (I think).

This is what I get, but I have yet to check this...
sol.png
Original post by A Slice of Pi
This is what I get, but I have yet to check this...
sol.png

It's just the same, but you go all the way to RREF.

Quick Reply

Latest