4) Suresh Raina
5) Eoin Morgan
6) Shahid Afridi (c)
7) Darren Sammy
8) Ravichandran Ashwin
9) Wahab Riaz
10) Josh Hazlewood
11) Rangana Herath

Love this! Great idea. Sammy, though? Fair enough, his stats - facing 13 balls and bowling three overs for 31 runs (and a wicket) - aren't great, but he rallied some difficult characters in the Windies side and led them to glory.

Mine would be personally:

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Alex Hales
3. AB de Villiers
4. David Warner
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Steve Smith
7. Shahid Afridi
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Moeen Ali
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Rangana Herath
Original post by Mackay
Love this! Great idea. Sammy, though? Fair enough, his stats - facing 13 balls and bowling three overs for 31 runs (and a wicket) - aren't great, but he rallied some difficult characters in the Windies side and led them to glory.

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Alex Hales
3. AB de Villiers
4. David Warner
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Steve Smith
7. Shahid Afridi
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Moeen Ali
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Rangana Herath

Harsh to put Moeen amongst that list, he did take a fair few wickets and that crucial partnership with Willey against Afghanistan is what helped get them to the Semis. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Enginerd.

Him or Shoaib Malik would've been my picks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Malik will be good to have around for his experience which gets overplayed IMO but not as captain. His time has well and truly gone as skipper. I just hope Sarfaraz is given the opportunity to lead and impose new ideas rather than relying on the past. Waqar has, as expected, resigned so a new coach also is required.
Reply 1084
Harsh to put Moeen amongst that list, he did take a fair few wickets and that crucial partnership with Willey against Afghanistan is what helped get them to the Semis. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I actually hesitated about Moeen, but felt I should add him because I know he can deliver so much more. His role in this England squad is a curious one. He has only got four double figure scores in his 18 T20 matches. He has only managed above 10 once in his last ten, too.

He should arguably be batting below Willey.
Original post by Aky786UK
Malik will be good to have around for his experience which gets overplayed IMO but not as captain. His time has well and truly gone as skipper. I just hope Sarfaraz is given the opportunity to lead and impose new ideas rather than relying on the past. Waqar has, as expected, resigned so a new coach also is required.

I was quite hesitant at first but his experience is crucial. He may be one of the last few in the limited overs side to be playing come a year or two. Maybe vice captain? Not sure who that is.

Seems to me that Sarfraz is quite passive looking. Just don't want others overpowering him in the field/meetings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1086
Original post by Mackay
You look at the batting power RCB boast. Christ. It's like a who's who of the world's best batsmen. It's basically a fantasy team!

Yh our batting is quite something, unfortunately our bowling nevrr is as good. With Starc probably out of IPL would imagine that World T20 would make Badree our 4th overseas player in our XI along with Watson, Gayle and AB.Given the strength of our batting I almost think Watson's bowling is twice as important as his batting. Simarly Binny.

Then would imagine Aravind, H Patel/Aaron, Chahal, Badree, Watson and odd over of Binny would be our bowling attack,
Reply 1087
I was quite hesitant at first but his experience is crucial. He may be one of the last few in the limited overs side to be playing come a year or two. Maybe vice captain? Not sure who that is.

Seems to me that Sarfraz is quite passive looking. Just don't want others overpowering him in the field/meetings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is the issue for me, too. I feel the whole Pakistani cricketing setup needs revamping and an overhaul, and if he's captaining the same side, which still consists of Afridi et al, nothing at all will improve or change.
Original post by Mackay

1. Rohit Sharma
2. Alex Hales
3. AB de Villiers
4. David Warner
5. Eoin Morgan
6. Steve Smith
7. Shahid Afridi
8. Ravi Ashwin
9. Moeen Ali
10. Josh Hazlewood
11. Rangana Herath

I get your point, but as a player, he was terrible. Not sure who I would put instead. Interesting about Moeen Ali, he didn't perform to the best of his ability, but did achieve the man of the match against Afghanistan (didn't he?).
Reply 1089
Original post by moment of truth
but did achieve the man of the match against Afghanistan (didn't he?).

That's a fair point - and there's probably an argument for saying England wouldn't have got to the final without him.

It's weird, because if I was made to pick a world XI before this tournament in the T20 format, I'd have placed Warner, ABDV, Smith, Watson, Amir, Steyn in there for sure. None of them shone in the tournament, though.
just wait and see how raina and shikhar dhawan now suddenly perform really well in ipl :s-smilie:
Reply 1091
Original post by tazza ma razza
just wait and see how raina and shikhar dhawan now suddenly perform really well in ipl :s-smilie:

That's what is so frustrating - even for me as a neutral.

You imagine the Australian lads will all perform in Test cricket, too. Warner/Smith are probably the biggest culprits of that.
Original post by Mackay
That's what is so frustrating - even for me as a neutral.

You imagine the Australian lads will all perform in Test cricket, too. Warner/Smith are probably the biggest culprits of that.

what makes it worse is that all the formats encompass more or less the exact same players that would be in the t20 world cup

as for ipl, all people playing in that would have been in the world cup, again, playing in the same venues with the same pitches at the same time of the day so there really is no excuse for any indian player to suddenly get good when in reality all they had to do was take their finger out and not blame a bit of dew?!?!?

i think smith shouldn't play t20 - he is too good a longer format player. yh he is a good fielder but he gets form by playing a longer format and then loses it in the shorter format. Warner i think is hit or miss regardless of format. look at ipl last year, he made loads of 50s but then in the ashes he was terrible. 50 over cricket world cup he was pretty good too.
Reply 1093
The chasm between Test cricket, and even ODI cricket, and T20 is becoming even wider.

There's a clear difference between the 'hitters' - men like Brathwaite, Sammy, Gayle, Bravo, Simmons - and the 'shot makers' - players like Kohli and Root.

You could argue the former two are the better players, and I'd definitely rather they were in my team, but too many sides don't boast the hitting power to rival the Windies. Not many nations can clear the ropes with ease like WI can.

It's the same with bowlers. Wicket takers are relatively superfluous in T20 cricket, because a team has such an abundance of players and time to play with. You rarely see a team entirely dismissed, because their order usually bats well and deep. That's why bowlers like Willey are more effective than Amir.
I am still in mourning.
I have no comments to make.
Reply 1095

Quick Reply

Latest