The Student Room Group

How to get an internship, any advice?

Hi guys!

So I'm a first year, studying Politics at UEA (University of East Anglia), and I would like some advice on how best to get an internship...

I know that I wont be able to get an internship until the summer after my second year, but I was hoping people might have advice for me on how to prepare to get one? Some of my second year friends have been struggling to get onto any paid intern programmes, and that worries me as I have no relevent work experience :frown:

I am hoping to do something 'politics-y,' or something relating to the civil service as I would LOVE to get onto the civil service fast-track' after uni. :smile:

Does anyone have any advice on how I can 'boost' my CV, and find any work experience/do ANYTHING that would help me to get an internship in one of these areas? My CV currently consists of Mcdonalds work, Bar work, and volenteering for a confidential listerning service (think samaritans but for students). In other words my CV isnt very impressive :frown:

Any advice on work experience/programmes/ANYTHING I can do to help my chances of getting an internship would be greatly appriciated! Thankyou :smile:
Firstly remember that internships are difficult to get so it's not the end of the world if you don't get one.

To help you get one though, I would think getting involved with political societies would be a great start alongside other similar causes and charity events, anything that involves networking with politicians really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending