The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

Develop your career before you finish University with our award-winning Careers Team!

Hello everyone! :colone:

It might seem odd to talk about developing a career, when you have just started university. You would say: “Chill mate, one thing at a time…”. However, I would say that with plenty of free time at university (as long as you plan your time), thinking about your career path and looking for relevant work experience is one of the best things you can do for your future. It is simply a key to success :wink:

What is even better, you do not have to do it all on your own. De Montfort University offers its students and graduates an outstanding programme of career support and work experience. In each year of your degree, you are offered complex assistance from professional Careers Teams in every faculty, along with a general Careers Hub, and impressive career opportunities. Their common aim is to support you with developing your career path and exploring job options all around the world.

You may say now that it all sounds too good to be real. Therefore, let’s get down to the facts. I will explain why it is a successful programme and why you want to be a part of it. I have been and still am. As a result, I have completed two psychological internships, one at DMU and one for Think Pacific organisation supporting Fijian society, the Teach English as Foreign Language (TEFL) course, and I am going on a one-year-long student exchange to Bilbao, Spain. What is more, I had placement interviews with Disney, Primark, and Warner Bros :biggrin: It would not have happened without brilliant career services. So, how was it possible?

Various work experience opportunities

DMU not only has its own page with a wide range of opportunity advertisements but also provides you with access to other professional work experience websites, including Target Jobs, Unitemps, Skills Hub Job Search, and Student Circus. They advertise internships, part-time and full-time jobs, graduate schemes, volunteering, placements, and so on. Whatever you desire, you will find it for sure.

Unlimited access to exclusive employability events

Including career workshops, enterprise events, webinars, and much more. These are opportunities to hear, get inspired by, learn from and network with professionals and successful people.

Personalised career support tailored to your needs

Apart from complex online support, you can choose between various appointments with a member of the Careers Team in order to receive advice on developing a career path, looking for relevant experience, writing a CV and cover letter, interview preparation, and even starting your own business. These people have impressive knowledge and can prepare you to be the best possible candidate.

Unlimited access to digital tools

LinkedIn Learning, where you can find thousands of various courses and their completion equips you with recognisable certificates. Practice interviews for hundreds of roles with the most common questions and feedback given at the end. Professional CV and cover letter builder with diverse templates created based on employer requirements. Instant and personalised CV feedback that suggests any necessary adjustments. Assessment centre tool that explains how employers assess candidates and offers a spectrum of real assessments. Career path development tool assessing your personality and other factors in order to find a perfect job match along with the inside view of different positions. Employer written and audio advice revealing the secrets of career success and successful candidates. In a nutshell, that is all you need to come up with a plan for yourself and put it into life.

Lifelong careers support after graduation

Even when you graduate and stop being a DMU student, you keep your access to career support and work experience opportunities. That is a great relief to know that you are not left on your own and you will be supported as long as you need it.

Therefore, before you decide on a university, check how your employability can be developed because that is what really constitutes your future success.

For those of you who are joining DMU soon, make sure that your second trip, after your lectures, is to the Careers Hub to start creating your own amazing future :colondollar:

I hope that was helpful! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me.

Take care,

Julia :h:
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by De Montfort University
Hello everyone! :colone:

It might seem odd to talk about developing a career, when you have just started university. You would say: “Chill mate, one thing at a time…”. However, I would say that with plenty of free time at university (as long as you plan your time), thinking about your career path and looking for relevant work experience is one of the best things you can do for your future. It is simply a key to success :wink:

What is even better, you do not have to do it all on your own. De Montfort University offers its students and graduates an outstanding programme of career support and work experience. In each year of your degree, you are offered complex assistance from professional Careers Teams in every faculty, along with a general Careers Hub, and impressive career opportunities. Their common aim is to support you with developing your career path and exploring job options all around the world.

You may say now that it all sounds too good to be real. Therefore, let’s get down to the facts. I will explain why it is a successful programme and why you want to be a part of it. I have been and still am. As a result, I have completed two psychological internships, one at DMU and one for Think Pacific organisation supporting Fijian society, the Teach English as Foreign Language (TEFL) course, and I am going on a one-year-long student exchange to Bilbao, Spain. What is more, I had placement interviews with Disney, Primark, and Warner Bros :biggrin: It would not have happened without brilliant career services. So, how was it possible?

Various work experience opportunities

DMU not only has its own page with a wide range of opportunity advertisements but also provides you with access to other professional work experience websites, including Target Jobs, Unitemps, Skills Hub Job Search, and Student Circus. They advertise internships, part-time and full-time jobs, graduate schemes, volunteering, placements, and so on. Whatever you desire, you will find it for sure.

Unlimited access to exclusive employability events

Including career workshops, enterprise events, webinars, and much more. These are opportunities to hear, get inspired by, learn from and network with professionals and successful people.

Personalised career support tailored to your needs

Apart from complex online support, you can choose between various appointments with a member of the Careers Team in order to receive advice on developing a career path, looking for relevant experience, writing a CV and cover letter, interview preparation, and even starting your own business. These people have impressive knowledge and can prepare you to be the best possible candidate.

Unlimited access to digital tools

LinkedIn Learning, where you can find thousands of various courses and their completion equips you with recognisable certificates. Practice interviews for hundreds of roles with the most common questions and feedback given at the end. Professional CV and cover letter builder with diverse templates created based on employer requirements. Instant and personalised CV feedback that suggests any necessary adjustments. Assessment centre tool that explains how employers assess candidates and offers a spectrum of real assessments. Career path development tool assessing your personality and other factors in order to find a perfect job match along with the inside view of different positions. Employer written and audio advice revealing the secrets of career success and successful candidates. In a nutshell, that is all you need to come up with a plan for yourself and put it into life.

Lifelong careers support after graduation

Even when you graduate and stop being a DMU student, you keep your access to career support and work experience opportunities. That is a great relief to know that you are not left on your own and you will be supported as long as you need it.

Therefore, before you decide on a university, check how your employability can be developed because that is what really constitutes your future success.

For those of you who are joining DMU soon, make sure that your second trip, after your lectures, is to the Careers Hub to start creating your own amazing future :colondollar:

I hope that was helpful! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me.

Take care,

Hi, was the Think Pacific internship you did the remote internship? If so, which year of uni did you do it in? I’m unsure whether it would be good to apply for the remote internship just after 1st year or during 2nd year
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Original post by ab33k
Hi, was the Think Pacific internship you did the remote internship? If so, which year of uni did you do it in? I’m unsure whether it would be good to apply for the remote internship just after 1st year or during 2nd year

Hi!

Yes, it was a remote internship. I did it in my second year, but I feel like you do not need to wait if you want to do it :wink: Internship is a learning opportunity. Before I actually created my project and I was exploring Fijian culture and issues they are dealing with for a few weeks. Then, I was ready to work on my project. Therefore, for this particular internship you can apply as soon as you feel ready. It will be an amazing experience! :biggrin:

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending