The Student Room Group

British Empire Society

Scroll to see replies

goddamihatehull
so any change in international economic standing is a cime is it?the factwoth is that in the 19 and early 20 centuarys total global gdp went up massivly due to the industrial revolution which happened to be in britain and europe and later in the us.thus with this large growth taking place the countries which where the driving force behind it would have gained a larger share of international gdp.also it is worth noting that all economys go through periods of prosperity and hardship it happened to britain japan germany italy is happining to the us and it will happen to china someday.the differances are some economys adapt quicker and recover faster

the litmus test is whether any government does more harm than good. The scale of suffering under the British Empire cannot be hidden behind any 'benefits' that accrued to the colonies, as you may claim.

As for the GDP stats. The absolute rate of GDP growth in India also stood at 0%, under Empire rule. That has nothing to do with relativity but still proves the same point - the Empire suppressed any improvements in living conditions.
Reply 221
ROFCOPTER LMAO

British empire, ha you lot especially you cookie make me laugh.

cookiejest
Our Mascot

The mascot of the british empire is a lion, rofl lolmao they cudn't even come up with something native to the origins of the british empire.
cookiejest
The Pax Britannica made the 19th century comparitively peaceful and safe compared

lol more like invaded and captured.

:p: :p: :p: :p: Commonwealth of Nations ROOLZ:p: :p: :p: :p:
Mizzy87, are you seriously saying that the British deliberately sent Columbus the wrong way? Lol, where's the evidence for this please?
HistoryStudent
Mizzy87, are you seriously saying that the British deliberately sent Columbus the wrong way? Lol, where's the evidence for this please?

He was attempting to get to India, yes. He thought he could get there by sailing Westwards. When he landed in the Americas, he thought he'd reached India, hence why he termed them Indians, hence American "Indians".
mizzy87
And for your information, industries did exist, just not in the nature that we perceive them today, they weren't regarded as national industries as there was no proper central government. Actually, one of the first industries relocated from India to Britain was textiles. Technology, designs, and raw cotton were initially imported from India and, in parallel, India's indigenous textile mills were outlawed by the British. They were de-licensed, heavyily taxed and regulated, making them virtually extinct. Hurrah, a success for the imperialists.

Another one was Indian rust-free steel. The British banned the manufacture of iron and steel in India, condemning them to rely on Europe for imports.

I can go on if you'd like?

I'm afraid facts just don't cut it here. You have to resort to personal insults and '**** off to another country' mentality. Clearly the benefits of the Empire were so blinding obvious that those who rebelled in colonies didn't know what they were missing out on.
Lib North
On the basis of Adolf Hitler, how anyone can advocate not sterilising all human beings is beyond me...

I wasn't comparing it to Hitler and the Nazis, no.

Just like virtually every other country on earth, of course.

Wrong.
Reply 226
biggie-n
And you are the saviour because you are not one of these lowly sheep correct? So another way of saying you're better than everyone else.

I don't buy into this egalitarian nonsense. Simple fact is, I am better than the vast majority of other people - and most are either too stupid or too lazy to even consider what is morally right or decent.

The British Empire was based on racial prejudice. Any defenders of it at the time said they were merely 'culturing' the natives. Moral superiority they claimed. Yet they did more harm than good.

I assume you've drawn up an equation with every act of the British state during that time contained within it?

Moral superiority also has nothing to do with consequences, but rather intent.

Humans do not rebel against rulers who do more good than harm.

That rather defies historical analysis.

biggie-n
I'm afraid facts just don't cut it here. You have to resort to personal insults and '**** off to another country' mentality. Clearly the benefits of the Empire were so blinding obvious that those who rebelled in colonies didn't know what they were missing out on.

I don't think you meant to quote me there. :smile:
The Rugger Bugger
look at my society's ....idiot

Nincompoop.
Lib North
I don't buy into this egalitarian nonsense. Simple fact is, I am better than the vast majority of other people - and most are either too stupid or too lazy to even consider what is morally right or decent.
"I'm better than you. So what you say is drivel to me." That's what you're saying, basically. As it turns out, I'm better than you.

Lib North
I assume you've drawn up an equation with every act of the British state during that time contained within it?
I speak primarily with respect to British India, yes, but that is not to say there were no other atrocities committed. http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,761626,00.html
And since India accounted for a large part of the Empire's wealth, it is built on oppression.

Lib North
Moral superiority also has nothing to do with consequences, but rather intent.
Intent is not impossible to prove. Read works by commentators from the Empire period and you will see all sorts of hideous justifications for Empire.

Lib North
That rather defies historical analysis.
So the colonies rebelled without cause? They should have sat tight?

mizzy87
I don't think you meant to quote me there. :smile:

Yeah sorry. Thead is moving quickly.
Reply 231
biggie-n
the litmus test is whether any government does more harm than good.

Impossible since--
(1) You cannot compare it to anything - even the state of being without government, since you have no idea what would then happen. This is the problem with consequentialism.
(2) You can no idea of all, or even most, of the actions of any government.

biggie-n

And of course, every government that has ever faced large-scale rebellions was wrong and the rebels were, of course, right.
Reply 232
mizzy87
I wasn't comparing it to Hitler and the Nazis, no.

Irrelevant to the point; the fact is you were condemning something entirely based on one example of it in practice, not to mention being entirely consequentialist and failing to contextualise.

Wrong.

Name one country where slavery has been expressly unlawful for all time then...
Reply 233
Yeah I'll join! On behalf of HRH proud occupiers here in Ulster lol. God save the queen.
Reply 234
biggie-n
"I'm better than you. So what you say is drivel to me." That's what you're saying, basically.

Well, I was perhaps being a tad facetious in my initial point there. I'm simply saying that you cannot force your views on others. My views are about the limitation of force.

No number of nodding assenters make your views morally justifiable.

I speak primarily with respect to British India, yes, but that is not to say there were no other atrocities committed. http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,761626,00.html
And since India accounted for a large part of the Empire's wealth, it is built on oppression.

And attrocities were the only things the British government ever did - even in India?

Intent is not impossible to prove. Read works by commentators from the Empire period and you will see all sorts of hideous justifications for Empire.

And some very good ones too.

So the colonies rebelled without cause? They should have sat tight?

I'm not saying that at all. Indeed, I support the American revolution (as one I am fairly familiar with) and the idea of secession (albeit only in cases where overwhelming injustice can be demonstrated). I don't think I'm best placed to make this assessment, especially over a blanket "the colonies" when of course the independence movements were in no way linked and every colony was governed differently.

Secession can be used as a tool against governments with the intention of replacing an injustice. That I do not disagree with - I believe I equally have the right to rebel against my nation-state government. Therefore it's not really a matter of empire, but a matter of where the limitations of the state over the individual are drawn.

OK, lets simplify this. If a nation decides that it does not want to be ruled by a foreign power, the foreign power must swallow its pride and go back home. Or not whine when it is kicked out. No doubt you'll start protesting about nationalism's flaws. Well tough, because nationalism to the extent that foreign intereference is unwelcome is the status quo, and you will have to deal with it.

I don't logically "have to deal" with anything other than perhaps the limits of physics. And even then, we have Cartesian philosophy addressing even that.

No, government is not dependent on consent. Indeed, quite the opposite, its value is only where there is no consent. Which is why it is required at all - to exercise force.

Not a non-argument because you were defending the British Empire but then said 'this level of economic control should not be assumed by a government'. Well that was the primary purpose of the Empire.

I believe free trade is the primary purpose of many Empires. Not government regulation.

So why did you join the discussion when I was pointing out to someone else why there was little the empire did for the world. I was debating the second point. So perhaps you should have held your horses instead of charging in and changing the topic and further, claiming it was obvious what you were debating all along.

Because you were attributing these faults to empire generally, rather than one specific example of an empire based on principles of one country.

Your support of the Empire does worse - it casts yourself as some moral judge of natives in colonies. That they were somehow unfit to rule themselves and that the British were morally superior. The atrocities of the Empire point to exactly the opposite.

I have yet to say that I do support the previous British Empire. As I've said before, it cannot be judged as it encompassed so many acts.

By believing in any government at all, we agree people are unfit to rule themselves. Unless you're an Anarchist, your point is without basis.
Lib North
Impossible since--
(1) You cannot compare it to anything - even the state of being without government, since you have no idea what would then happen. This is the problem with consequentialism.
(2) You can no idea of all, or even most, of the actions of any government.
When dealing with large scale massacres its not terribly hard.

Lib North
And of course, every government that has ever faced large-scale rebellions was wrong and the rebels were, of course, right.
I would certainly wonder what their motives were and assess if there was any substance in them. In most cases, there is to a degree. In the case of Empire, there was to a huge degree. You, of course, would promptly label these rebels small minded and consequently inferior to yourself.
Mizzy87, I'm well aware that Columbus was trying to reach India, and that's why the Native Americans were named 'Indians' - I thought it was common knowledge. What I wanted evidence for was what you said about the British apparently deliberately sending Columbus the wrong way in order to further their own Indian interests. As far as I knew, Britain (or rather England, seeing as 'Great Britain' had not been created yet) turned down the opportunity to fund Columbus' voyage, and so how can they be held responsible for it?
Lib North
Well, I was perhaps being a tad facetious in my initial point there.
How convenient. This society is, of course, only for amusement, when someone decides to challenge the dubious views expressed here.

Lib North
No number of nodding assenters make your views morally justifiable.
"Morality is a system of principles and judgments based on cultural, religious, and philosophical concepts and beliefs, by which humans determine whether given actions are right or wrong." Now who decides them? The British? Or you? Since you possess greater wisdom.

Lib North
And attrocities were the only things the British government ever did - even in India?
In between the plundering of economic wealth in all forms (raw materials, taxation) and general contempt.

Lib North
And some very good ones too.
Such as? Let me guess...'educating the culturally backward'

Lib North
Therefore it's not really a matter of empire, but a matter of where the limitations of the state over the individual are drawn.
But it is relevant to the empire since the distribution of power was skewed towards the state. Grossly.

Lib North
No, government is not dependent on consent. Indeed, quite the opposite, its value is only where there is no consent. Which is why it is required at all - to exercise force.
And yet you say above that the colonies had every right to rebel. Strange.

Lib North
I believe free trade is the primary purpose of many Empires. Not government regulation.
Pity, because you should read up on the protectionist barriers employed under the Empire to favour British industries.

Lib North
I have yet to say that I do support the previous British Empire.
Then I have nothing more to say to you. I was making my points to those who asserted the Empire was a force for good above all and that it should be celebrated. I have no interest in your vision of future empires.
[QUOTE="HistoryStudent"]
What I wanted evidence for was what you said about the British apparently deliberately sending Columbus the wrong way in order to further their own Indian interests.

Tut, why would they deliberately send someone the wrong way? What I was trying to emphasise was the European people's urgency to get to India, shown by the fact that Colombus even tried going the 'wrong' way, i.e. Westwards as opposed to Eastwards, to reach there.

As far as I knew, Britain (or rather England, seeing as 'Great Britain' had not been created yet) turned down the opportunity to fund Columbus' voyage, and so how can they be held responsible for it?

See above.
mizzy87
Yes, I am aware of the British East India Company. It's a great shame they increased their influence.

India was perfectly fine before the British arrived. You're painting the picture that India was uncivilised, unindustrialised etc, but WHY then were the British so desperate to get there? They sent Colombus the wrong way, they set up base in South Africa on the way to India. They were well aware of the immense benefits India would have given to them. They must have been pissing their pants at the prospect of mass exploitation and plunder of weath they could achieve.

The British weren't desperate to get there. If you'd read your history you'd realise we, the British weren't the first there.

We didn't send Colombus anywhere. I say no more.

Exploitation? Pah. The indians were killing each other, a trend most uncivilised jungles tend to uphold. The whole concept of being 'Indian' is due to the British educating the people to what nationhood and democracy means.

And for your information, industries did exist, just not in the nature that we perceive them today, they weren't regarded as national industries as there was no proper central government. Actually, one of the first industries relocated from India to Britain was textiles. Technology, designs, and raw cotton were initially imported from India and, in parallel, India's indigenous textile mills were outlawed by the British. They were de-licensed, heavyily taxed and regulated, making them virtually extinct. Hurrah, a success for the imperialists.

Textiles were produced in India to satisfy the demand for consumable goods in other things. We provided wealth and prosperity to the indian entrepreneurs that latched onto the idea that capitalism provides the forementioned attributes.

Another one was Indian rust-free steel. The British banned the manufacture of iron and steel in India, condemning them to rely on Europe for imports.

Proof? Sources please. When you say Indian rust-free steel...do you mean British rust-free steel that was produced in India?

I can go on if you'd like?

Please do.

I wasn't referring to the British people as a whole, you mindless idiot. Just those who participated and were involved in the Empire and those who actively supported it. And I'm not referring to Britain today. I can see you're quite deluded, but you didn't actually contribute to the Empire you know, no matter how enthusiastically you support it.

Mindless idiot. Yep, that's why I got a 1st in History & Politics in a reputable university, own my own business and have travelled more countries than you've seen counties of England. Oh the fool that I am.

The Empire was a product of there and then. It was the superpower, it moulded society as we know it today. Enthusiastic supporter..no, see it's benefits..yes. I also support my nation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending