The Student Room Group

a-level history is a headache

its the hardest of all my levels. my teachers give us weeks to do one essay, at home, and I'm worried coz I have mocks soon and idk how I'm going to do it in timed conditions . also haven't made notes for the first two chapters of America, so how do I revise in time!1?!?!?! please. LIKE I DONT KNOW HOW TO CRAM REVISE A WHOLE TERM OF CONTENT. i do aqa American dream and tudors. plz help
(edited 2 years ago)
Yeah, **** history.
Honestly? My actual A-Level is in a month and I couldn’t even tell you the right answer. Straight up it’s a horrible A-Level, the essays always suck and are subjective to who is marking them, the amount of memorisation is ridiculous and trust me you’re not alone in your feelings. I’ve met no one, your age, my age or older, who has ever said they know what they’re doing. My advice if anything at all? You’ll click into it and figure it out like some mad epiphany, ace your coursework cause trust me I didn’t and I need at least an A so I have to get ridiculously high marks in the exams, itll take so much stress off you Good Luck!
seems like an unpopular opinion, but i actually think history is my favourite a-level, my other 2 are english lit and psych, and tbh I'm not a huge fan of either of them anymore, but history i just find much easier than other subjects. i do cold war and tudors, so if you guys need any help at all just lmk! for reference, I'm predicted an A*, so dw my advice won't [all] be useless :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by sophia0903
seems like an unpopular opinion, but i actually think history is my favourite a-level, my other 2 are english lit and psych, and tbh I'm not a huge fan of either of them anymore, but history i just find much easier than other subjects. i do cold war and tudors, so if you guys need any help at all just lmk! for reference, I'm predicted an A*, so dw my advice won't [all] be useless :smile:

I'm doing the exact same topics as you- how are you currently revising? Glad about the reduced content but Tudors is a pain for me especially Henry VIII
Hey does anyone have any advice for 2N (russia 1917-53) and/or 1J (British empire 1857-1967)? I have mocks and it’s so hard to memorise all the content and the timings are so hard aghhhhhhhhh
Original post by Jla244
I'm doing the exact same topics as you- how are you currently revising? Glad about the reduced content but Tudors is a pain for me especially Henry VIII

ugh not henry viii, my least fave monarch, why did he have to do the most, so for Tudors, I've summarised the advanced info for each monarch onto A3 mindmaps, which didn't take long, and then I've put them up on my wall, just so that every time I sit down to revise, I'll look over at them and read them. my main way of revising for history [Section B] is essay plans, they genuinely work wonders. find all the past paper/textbook/specimen q's for Tudors and cold war, and then select the ones relevant to the advanced information and then plan all those questions [write a few as well ofc to get used to timings etc], so simply just draw a line down your page and do a 'for' and 'against' or an 'agree' and 'disagree' depending on the question.

for extract qs [Section A], I plan slightly differently bc you don't need a conclusion or an intro for them, so I plan it by writing down these 3 factors for each source/interpretation;

- content and argument
- contextual knowledge [supporting or challenging the source]
- judgement in relation to question

bear in mind, that this is only the structure I use for Tudors.
for cold war it's slightly different;

- tone and emphasis
- provenance
- content and argument

and so I'll do all 3 of these things for EACH interpretation, and eventually you'll have 3 paragraphs. no need for intro or conclusion remember!
once you learn this structure, you'll easily be getting 26/27 out of 30
hope this helps

hii omg could you send me your email because I have mocks and have no notes for truman or Eisenhower America. :smile:
ugh not henry viii, my least fave monarch, why did he have to do the most, so for Tudors, I've summarised the advanced info for each monarch onto A3 mindmaps, which didn't take long, and then I've put them up on my wall, just so that every time I sit down to revise, I'll look over at them and read them. my main way of revising for history [Section B] is essay plans, they genuinely work wonders. find all the past paper/textbook/specimen q's for Tudors and cold war, and then select the ones relevant to the advanced information and then plan all those questions [write a few as well ofc to get used to timings etc], so simply just draw a line down your page and do a 'for' and 'against' or an 'agree' and 'disagree' depending on the question.

for extract qs [Section A], I plan slightly differently bc you don't need a conclusion or an intro for them, so I plan it by writing down these 3 factors for each source/interpretation;

- content and argument
- contextual knowledge [supporting or challenging the source]
- judgement in relation to question

bear in mind, that this is only the structure I use for Tudors.
for cold war it's slightly different;

- tone and emphasis
- provenance
- content and argument

and so I'll do all 3 of these things for EACH interpretation, and eventually you'll have 3 paragraphs. no need for intro or conclusion remember!
once you learn this structure, you'll easily be getting 26/27 out of 30
hope this helps

thank you so much! i was confused on where to start, but ill do those a3 president/ monarch posters!
Reply 9
Original post by sciencegcsesss
Hey does anyone have any advice for 2N (russia 1917-53) and/or 1J (British empire 1857-1967)? I have mocks and it’s so hard to memorise all the content and the timings are so hard aghhhhhhhhh

i dont do aqa but i have similar topics for edexcel - russia 1917-91 and british empire 1763-1914.
Original post by ilovepuppiez
hii omg could you send me your email because I have mocks and have no notes for truman or Eisenhower America. :smile:

heyy, sure i'll dm it to you x
Original post by sciencegcsesss

Hi @sciencegcsesss,

Here are my British Empire quizlet notes!

https://quizlet.com/gb/386950605/the-development-of-imperialism-1857-1890-flash-cards/
https://quizlet.com/gb/386955110/imperial-consolidation-and-liberal-rule-1890-1914-flash-cards/
https://quizlet.com/gb/386961027/imperialism-challenged-1914-1947-flash-cards/
https://quizlet.com/gb/386963637/the-winds-of-change-1947-1967-flash-cards/

Hope they're helpful!

-Lamesha (Official DU Rep)

Thank you, this has been helpful for my revision for my high stake mocks in year 12, so thank you for sharing . :smile::smile:

Edit: I like how you go going through essay questions, so it's both facts and links back to a question and have included scholars interpretations.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 14

what did you get in your actual a level? and is it okay if i see some of your model answers that got an A/A* grade as i feel like id really benefit from examples please :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending