The Student Room Group

British Empire Society

The British Empire Appreciation Society is now official!Click here to join.

The British Empire was the most extensive empire in world history and for a substantial time was the foremost global power. It was a product of the European age of discovery, which began with the maritime explorations of the 15th century, that sparked the era of the European colonial empires.

By 1921, the British Empire held sway over a population of about 458 million people, approximately one-quarter of the world's population. It covered about 36.6 million km² (14.2 million square miles), about a quarter of Earth's total land area. As a result, British influence remains strong throughout the world, such as in economic practice, legal and governmental systems, militarily, in society, sports (such as cricket, rugby and football), educational systems, and the English language itself.

At the peak of its power, it was often said that "the sun never sets on the British Empire" because its span across the globe ensured that the sun was always shining on at least one of its numerous colonies.

Hate it or love it, don't you think its time we restored her to former glory or at least appreciate what she did/ruined for the world? Join the Society!

People often forget - the Empire was not a force of evil for those it conquered, it was a force of good. The Pax Britannica made the 19th century comparitively peaceful and safe compared to the centuries that preceded it, and it was possible to travel the globe and visit all continents using just one currency, speaking one language and all without worry of molestation.

Our territory:

Our Mascot:

note: This is not a world domination attempt...yet

Also this has nothing to do with the BNP or any other racially motivated groups.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It was all in good fun...Colonialisation helped alot of countries as well with better farming techniques and investment. Many countries were worse of when they gained independence
no1s forcing you to join?

Wow 1,000 posts!
Reply 3
I'll pass, nice idea though.
Reply 4
I want to join!

ViVi87
Fun?? Is that what it is to you?

If you look at the statistics, many countries were worse off at the point of independence than they had been before Britain arrived at their shores. This again reiterates the fact that Britain plundered countries of their wealth and resources for selfish gain.

Many countries kept statistics? I don't believe that. Especially not since most of these countries couldn't even write. The British Empire pioneered statistics, and a glance at those historic records show that more money was invested in colonies than was invested in Britain itself.

I don't believe the British empire was perfect or anything, and I certainly don't like some of its later traditions (i.e. classism, or 'racism' as it's often called now). I'm interested in this society because it had a great aesthetic: walk around London and tell me those towering Victorian buildings aren't awe inspiring. Oh, and because I'm a patriotic believer in Britain and the superiority of our civilisation!

This is good timing really. We need to fend off annoying petty nationalists who want to either split up Britain or throw out non-whites. We also have Indians renovating Raj-era manors, Chinese buying up British car companies so they can live like Gentlemen, and the dawning realisation that our modern era of globalisation is quite like the pre-1914 world.
Reply 5
I think this image should be used as our world map instead

Not really :biggrin:
I wanna join!
Reply 7
what's shame! do you really consider colonialisation as a noble work,i agree with vivi87,colonialisation is a movement which backwards societies,i don't know why people talk with out having enough infomation about the issue,i'll give you an example :in the african savana,a hunter catchs a great elephant,he puts him in a cage with a big chain made with metal and very heavy,at first the elephant tryed to liberate his self every day,and after a while he stoped trying,and then the hunter moved the chain a way,even the elephant was free but he didn't try to run a way ,so you know why because the chain was in his mind.
so before saying inanity ,you have to feel peoples pain.
i would like to ask you what do you feel over the NAZI ocupation did it make a push in your developement ? even it was for few days,
Reply 8
tafina
what's shame! do you really consider colonialisation as a noble work,i agree with vivi87,colonialisation is a movement which backwards societies,i don't know why people talk with out having enough infomation about the issue,i'll give you an example :in the african savana,a hunter catchs a great elephant,he puts him in a cage with a big chain made with metal and very heavy,at first the elephant tryed to liberate his self every day,and after a while he stoped trying,and then the hunter moved the chain a way,even the elephant was free but he didn't try to run a way ,so you know why because the chain was in his mind.
so before saying inanity ,you have to feel peoples pain.
i would like to ask you what do you feel over the NAZI ocupation did it make a push in your developement ? even it was for few days,

What a poor argument, especially the part in bold.

GET
OFF
YOUR
HIGH
HORSE
KID

Id join.
Reply 9
Oh come on lighten up fellows! Empire, is, to me, like the weather of yesterday: there are things about it that could have worked better, it could have been less of many things, and more of other things, but ultimately, it happened. I view it with the same detachment as I might view an act of God, however much I regret some of its consequences.

Do I consider it to be a achievement? Absolutely! But not in a racial or racist sense, so much as an acknowledgement of the bravery, effort, foresight, ambition, technological nous, military prowess, diplomatic skill, adminstrative ability and downright gall it takes to build one of them things. Call me primitive, but I still think that when looked at in history, Empires remain the single most pulpable manifestations of a culture's success. Ironically, I'd say empires 'multi-culturalize' the world.

But on the other hand, in the process a great part of the native populations of the Americas was killed directly or indirectly, and the same thing happened in other parts of the world such as Australia and Oceania; European diseases were introduced to foreign countries, and exotic ones were brought to Europe; the evil of the slave trade was exploited and exacerbated; an inferiority complex was introduced in many foreign civilizations, with the effects still being felt in many parts of the world, breeding often justified ill-will towards the West; and violent rifts that survive to this day, were created between neighbouring nations as a result of imperial ‘divide and rule’ policy. No other event in history turned mankind upside-down so thoroughly as this period of European eruption and consequent century-long colonial rule and western hegemony.

Will I join this society? Depends on what its purpose is: because the Empire was an immense and impressive achievement, but I see no cause now to paint the town red (or paint the map red perhaps?) in celebration of something with such serious and genuine moral and current implications. I also think to make so light of the more serious side of empire is untoward. At the end of the day, Empires are about taking away the dignity of other peoples, deprecating their cultures, and generaly teating people solely as a means to an end. I don't accept it in commerce or politics, I don't accept it in Empire either.

That said, the British Empire was not at all universally evil, and it was in some ways, especially in its late and middle age, an "empire of good intentions". Let's see it as the brilliant curiosity of history that it is. Form a society by all means.
Exactly!!! It had its ups and downs but it was generally a force for good, it brought people of many different religions and races together and dare i say it prevented strong racial tension in Britian compared to places like Italy and Russia where racism is a huge problem. It generally spread wealth while in power and while it did make people richer in Britian it also brought agricultural technology to places that desperatly needed it eg Zimbabway, once africas bread basket while in the union, today it can hardly feed its own people.

Joining this society is saying that you support union between cultures!
Reply 11
cookiejest
Exactly!!! It had its ups and downs but it was generally a force for good

Well that's a thoroughly debatable conclusions

it brought people of many different religions and races together and dare i say it prevented strong racial tension in Britian compared to places like Italy and Russia where racism is a huge problem.

Empires actually tend to do this. But it has to be acnknowledged that it creates a dichotomy of dignity between the conquered and the conqeurors. Ihappen to believe that human dignity isnon-negotiable - it's the first rule of ethics.

it also brought agricultural technology to places that desperatly needed it eg Zimbabway, once africas bread basket while in the union, today it can hardly feed its own people.

Yes but that's not because Zimbabwe "can't do it for themselves", so much as the fact that its leaders won't. In any case, Zimbabwe was not an industrial society before Europeans came, so I don't think that European agricultural technology could have improved their lot considerably in that context. Also remember that laissez-faire economic thinkers presided over ugly famines in India and Ireland.

Joining this society is saying that you support union between cultures!

A language's dominance is certainly one of the most telling legacies of an empire. Empire, when done properly, can promote multiculturalism.
An artical i found on the good stuff the BE did for us:

Spoiler

I understand that it may have caused as much harm as good, but its important we appreciate it and remember it we cant just forget, ive decided to change the aim of the soc from regeneration of the empire(although i wouldn't mind it) to an appreciation of all the good and bad that it caused. Which is something nobody can say it isn't worth joining.
Reply 13
ViVi87
India? Sanksrit? Before English?

"Especially not since most of these countries couldn't even write."
Notice the word 'most'. Furhermore "the British Empire pioneered statistics". Even in India, I'm not aware there were any economic records before the British started making them.

Do you honestly believe that Britain did not benefit immensely in wealth from its colonies? As an example, why was Britain so desperate to get to India? It sent ****ing Colombus the wrong way in an attempt to get there. It obviously had something to be labelled the "jewel in the crown".

Research about the extortionate taxes imposed on the Indian people in their own country that were being sent directly to the coffers in London. Research about how the British stagnated India's manufacturing industries, like steel and textiles, causing it to rely almost solely on imports when it had previously been the highest exporter in the world along with China. Research about how it took India's food and caused mass famine there, causing millions of deaths. Research about how India gave £200 million to Britain during WW1. Etc etc etc.

Err.. as I've said, the British Empire was not perfect. The main systemic fault is that since it meant subjugated people became subject to British interests, their own were often neglected. I don't think empire is a valid system of government in the 21st century but you seem to think economics is a zero-sum game. The world benefited massively from trade. The economy of the British Empire was the predecessor to modern globalisation.

Your examples are politicised; very few people are interested in defending the British Empire, but many people have profited handsomely from attacking it. For example, an alternative look at the plight of Indian ship-building shows that British investment and technology exchange allowed it to become nearly advanced as European ship production. It wasn't destroyed by some evil, jealous imperialist stereotypes in their Death Star, but the loss of the market due to protectionism. The exact same dynamics are independent from empire and could come in to play in modern India. The software industry is fuelled largely by western investment and technology rather than home demand and if the west was to go through a period of economic decline it would probably vanish. The fact that Asian economics, technology and political life had been stagnant for centuries before European colonialism also seems to be glossed over.

I'm not really that interested challenging the mainstream view of history, since it's outside of my sphere of expertise and I know that those on my side are in the minority (though I still think they are right). I do like its grandeur and aesthetics, though I can understand why a lot of people don't, due to its tarnshied reputation. I think this will very much be a society for those who are too hard to fall for over-emotional propaganda and have no stake in communalist politics.

Just a couple of little things in here for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_India

I have lots of reading if you're interested as a matter of fact.

Oh god, you linked me Wikipedia. You've completely academically destroyed my life.:biggrin:
Well someone has to civilise the rest of the world :biggrin: I'm in.
(By civilise I mean teach to play cricket)
Reply 16
ViVi87
You'd be surprised. You even get backward minded people who argue Britain should re-colonise countries.

Well there's what people think and what is useful to think. There's a whole industry that revolves around attacking institutions like the British Empire, and opposition to it is at the heart of the national mythology of most of the former colonies (the most influential being the most powerful country on the planet, and one that easily infiltrates and influences our own culture). However, if you want to defend it, your audience is limited to a few history readers (and American 'neo-Con hawks' looking for inspiration :smile:).

I agree, though it raises so many current moral and ethical issues, I'd argue it's quite difficult not to get 'emotional' over it.

Why? Nobody in our generation has any connection to the empire.
so you will both be joining the British Empire Appreciation Society then?
Reply 18
Huzzah! Rule Britannia, bring back the Empire!
Reply 19
ViVi87
RE: "You even get backward minded people who argue Britain should re-colonise countries."

If you don't like it then why are you posting here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending