The Student Room Group

Death of Parent?

My father passed away 3 weeks ago and was just wondering what happens in terms of student loan?

The only reason I am asking is because my mum doesn't work, and the only household income was from my dad. Would this make me eligible to get more student loan or not? Of course times will be hard in terms of money in the near future...

I am currently in Second year...

Thanks for your help in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by Darren20
My father passed away 3 weeks ago and was just wondering what happens in terms of student loan?

The only reason I am asking is because my mum doesn't work, and the only household income was from my dad. Would this make me eligible to get more student loan or not? Of course times will be hard in terms of money in the near future...

I am currently in Second year...

Thanks for your help in advance!

Sorry for your loss.

On the face of it, yes, you will probably get more. However it will depend on what your Dad has left e.g. savings, investments, property etc. If there is still an income from those (interest, dividends, rent from tenants etc) then this will be classed as "household income" by SF and taken into account when calculating your entitlement.

You can be re-assessed on new household income immediately, if your household income has dropped by 15% or more.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
Sorry for your loss.

On the face of it, yes, you will probably get more. However it will depend on what your Dad has left e.g. savings, investments, property etc. If there is still an income from those (interest, dividends, rent from tenants etc) then this will be classed as "household income" by SF and taken into account when calculating your entitlement.

You can be re-assessed on new household income immediately, if your household income has dropped by 15% or more.

Thank you for the reply.

Guessing it's best to call them and see then?
Original post by Darren20
Thank you for the reply.

Guessing it's best to call them and see then?

Yes. They can advise you if you have to fill in any forms due to change in circumstance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending