The Student Room Group

An inspector call

how priestly presents the different ways older and younger characters respond to the inspector
Original post by fatiarooj
how priestly presents the different ways older and younger characters respond to the inspector

Younger Characters:
Eric and Sheila Birling: Eric and Sheila are the younger generation in the play, and they respond to Inspector Goole with more openness and empathy. They are willing to engage with the inspector's inquiries and reflect on their actions. Both Eric and Sheila express remorse for their involvement in Eva Smith's death and acknowledge their responsibility. Their reactions reflect a sense of guilt and a willingness to change.

Older Characters:
Arthur and Sybil Birling: Arthur and Sybil Birling, the parents of Eric and Sheila, represent the older generation. They respond to Inspector Goole with skepticism, defensiveness, and arrogance. Arthur, being a prosperous businessman, initially tries to use his social status to dismiss the inspector's investigation. Sybil, too, displays a dismissive attitude, refusing to accept responsibility and attempting to distance herself from the consequences of her actions. Their responses reflect a sense of entitlement and a refusal to acknowledge their role in Eva Smith's tragedy.

That's all I can think of rn at the top of my head, but if you want more resources I highly recommend looking at the physicsandmaths tutor website.
Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by infamous.nugget

Younger Characters:
Eric and Sheila Birling: Eric and Sheila are the younger generation in the play, and they respond to Inspector Goole with more openness and empathy. They are willing to engage with the inspector's inquiries and reflect on their actions. Both Eric and Sheila express remorse for their involvement in Eva Smith's death and acknowledge their responsibility. Their reactions reflect a sense of guilt and a willingness to change.

Older Characters:
Arthur and Sybil Birling: Arthur and Sybil Birling, the parents of Eric and Sheila, represent the older generation. They respond to Inspector Goole with skepticism, defensiveness, and arrogance. Arthur, being a prosperous businessman, initially tries to use his social status to dismiss the inspector's investigation. Sybil, too, displays a dismissive attitude, refusing to accept responsibility and attempting to distance herself from the consequences of her actions. Their responses reflect a sense of entitlement and a refusal to acknowledge their role in Eva Smith's tragedy.

That's all I can think of rn at the top of my head, but if you want more resources I highly recommend looking at the physicsandmaths tutor website.
Hope this helped :smile:
Thanks a lot xx ☺️
Original post by fatiarooj
Thanks a lot xx ☺️
no problem!!
feel free to ask for any more help if needed xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending