The Student Room Group

Drawing Fields!

Hi,

Never ever been a strong point for me. Could you draw the answers onto the following questions as i find it hard understanding the word answers.

Q1)
a)

Word Answer:
Approprate shape; lines perpindicular to and touching plate and sphere;(2) arrows towards negative sphere(1) (3)

b)

Word Answer:
Field Line sktech minimum of 5 lines symmetrical about line joining centres with arrows;(1) Fig3.1 sketch matches RHS of Fig3.2/plate analogous to mirrow/ AW relating to symmetery(1) (2) RHS :confused:

2)

Word Answer:
Circular path for both ions (1)
U-235 ion with slightly smaller radius (1)
Path curving upwords (1) (3)

Well, why do you need someone to draw them. The word answers pretty much tell you what they look like. Basically, with the first one you have a mixing of radial lines from the sphere and lines perpendicular to the plane. These combine and so you get a curving round of the sphere lines to the plane lines. That may not make much sense but bear with me.

The second one is exactly the same. It uses a principle called method of images. The plane acts as a mirror so that the field lines are exactly the same for the first, but where the plane way you reflect the field lines from the first sphere to the plane.

That also shows you what the first would look like if you imagine cutting it in half down the middle.

The last I think is self explanatory from the description.

Latest