The Student Room Group

OCR (non mei) M2 Wednesday 18th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

"And in other news, an OCR exam writer was found dead. The investigation has been called off as the list of disgruntled students and suspects is far, far too long"
Holy F***in' sh*t what the hell was that?! I already get extra time as it is, and I still managed to run out!!
Jesus f*cking christ... Whoever came up with that paper is a f*cking sadist...
Reply 101
Original post by xsanda
Updated solutions, with the collisions correct:

Xsanda’s solutions:

1) Car on a plane:
i) v = 22.5 m/s
ii) P = 35.9 kW

2) Particle up a plane:
i) Wd = 8.43 J
ii) v = 10.8 m/s

3 Arch shape:
i) show that: 13a/3π
ii) T = 8.82 N
iii) θ = 10.9º left of upwards vertical

4 Particle around a cone:
i) show that m/6 (2 sqrt3 g - 3 a ω²)
ii) T = 39.6N, V =1.19 m/s

5 Ladder:
i) show that 5W/24 (1+6x/a)
ii) max x = 1.7a
iii) tan = 39/14

6 collisions horizontally:
i) a: 5.5 m/s, b: 8 m/s, both in opposite direction to their original motion
ii) e=3/4

7 projectiles:
i) 18.8m high, 61.1 m AB
ii) 87.3 Ns
iii) 11.9 m

I agree with most of this accept Q5 iii) which I think should be tan(a)=12/5 and Q6 ii) is not exactly e=3/4 as this is calculated from the rounded values in the previous part, however I doubt anyone can remember the actual value. Good work overall though, props to you for remembering all of this.
Original post by Muzzles
Q6 ii) is not exactly e=3/4 as this is calculated from the rounded values in the previous part, however I doubt anyone can remember the actual value.

5.5 and 8 were the exact values.
Can anybody remember the quadratic equation in 6i?
Original post by Abscissa
Can anybody remember the quadratic equation in 6i?

I think it's on page 5 :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by marioman
5.5 and 8 were the exact values.

Sorry my bad, I've just done the question again and got those values. I used my calculator to solve the quadratic in the exam to save time, must have given me an error, that's the last time I do that, at least I'll get method marks *sigh*

Scan_Pic0001.jpg
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
That was an awful exam! Can anyone remember what the values for question 1 were and what marks each question was for?
Original post by jenmturner
That was an awful exam! Can anyone remember what the values for question 1 were and what marks each question was for?

Do you want the answers to Q1? Or the question
Original post by TheNicholas
Do you want the answers to Q1? Or the question

just the question .. so the values for question 1 .. i think the resistance force was 600N and then it was climbing a slope of some sort.
For 6i, how many marks would I lose for choosing the wrong pair of solutions from the quadratic... And would I get ECF for using these values for ii?
Infact, wouldn't you get the same answer in ii regardless of which pair of solutions you chose?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Abscissa
For 6i, how many marks would I lose for choosing the wrong pair of solutions from the quadratic... And would I get ECF for using these values for ii?

Probably 2. If you wrote down the correct solutions as well then maybe only 1. I suspect that full credit will be allowed in (ii) using the calculated values in (i) but one can't be sure until we see the mark scheme.
Original post by marioman
Probably 2. If you wrote down the correct solutions as well then maybe only 1. I suspect that full credit will be allowed in (ii) using the calculated values in (i) but one can't be sure until we see the mark scheme.

I ran out of space so decided to not write down both pairs, and just wrote down the one I thought was correct (which was evidentally not), bloody classic! Oh well!
Anyone remember how many marks each question was worth? Would help a lot, thanks!
Reply 113
Anyone got the working for the last question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you may have got 5 (iii) wrong because the equation you use to find R from part (ii) depends on a difference angle.
Original post by Miracle-
I think you may have got 5 (iii) wrong because the equation you use to find R from part (ii) depends on a difference angle.

How do you mean?
What the hell happened XD
Normally get like 65+ and can do it in about an hour but I didn't even finish this one and it was so bad omg.
Original post by 98Lauren98
Anyone remember how many marks each question was worth? Would help a lot, thanks!

Using Xsanda’s solutions as a template:

1) Car on a plane:
i) v = 22.5 m/s [3]
ii) P = 35.9 kW [3]

2) Particle up a plane:
i) Wd = 8.43 J [3]
ii) v = 10.8 m/s [4]

3 Arch shape:
i) show that: 13a/3π [5]
ii) T = 8.82 N [3]
iii) θ = 10.9º left of upwards vertical [4] (or 79.1º above the horizontal to the left)

4 Particle around a cone:
i) show that m/6 (2√3 g - 3aω²) [6]
ii) T = 39.6N, V =1.19 m/s [3]

5 Ladder:
i) show that 5W/24 (1+6x/a) [5]
ii) max x = 1.7a [3]
iii) tan = 39/14 [3]

6 collisions horizontally:
i) a: 5.5 m/s, b: 8 m/s, both in opposite direction to their original motion [8]
ii) e=3/4 [2]

7 projectiles:
i) 18.8m high, 61.1 m AB [4]
ii) 87.3 Ns [4]
iii) 11.9 m [9]
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Miracle-

I dont think the angle mattered since it was still in vertical equilibrium so when you resolved verticle you still got R=7W
Thank you!!!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending