The Student Room Group

Partial Fraction (P3)

Grr... Really don't know where I went wrong!

The question is: (x^3+x^2-2x+4) / (x^2-4)

This is an improper fraction, so I did algebratic division first and got x+ {(2x)/(x^2-4)} as the answer. This is the same as x + {2x/(x-2)(x+2)}
Then:

2x/(x+2)(x-2) = A/(x+2) + B/(x-2)
2x = A(x-2) + B(x-2)
If x = 2 then 4B = 4, B = 1
If x =-2 then -4A = -4, A=1

Therefore, x + 1/(x+2) + 1/(x-2)

Thanks for any help.
Reply 1
TheQueen1986
The question is: (x^3+x^2-2x+4) / (x^2-4)

This is an improper fraction, so I did algebratic division first and got x+ {(2x)/(x^2-4)} as the answer.

Um, I got a different answer on this bit. I get 1 + x + (2x + 8)/(x^2 - 4)

Hence the complete partial fractions are 1 + x + 3/(x-2) - 1/(x+2)
Reply 2
Squishy
Um, I got a different answer on this bit. I get 1 + x + (2x + 8)/(x^2 - 4)

Hence the complete partial fractions are 1 + x + 3/(x-2) - 1/(x+2)

that is wot i get :-)
Reply 3
That's the answer in the book, but the problem is I don't know how to get there. I already have the answer...
Reply 4
TheQueen1986
That's the answer in the book, but the problem is I don't know how to get there. I already have the answer...

Just check your algebraic division. Once you've done that right, the rest should be fine.
Reply 5
Aha! I just saw my mistake!

You're right - my algebratic division is wrong! Well, I missed the +4 bit of the 2x+4, forgot to pull it down from above!

Thanks!! :biggrin:
Reply 6
Bah, I'm still having trouble even with that correction.

Do you get x + (2x+4)/(x^2-4) when you do the algebratic division, because that's what I get.
Reply 7
TheQueen1986
Bah, I'm still having trouble even with that correction.

Do you get x + (2x+4)/(x^2-4) when you do the algebratic division, because that's what I get.

No...divide (x^3 + x^2 - 2x + 4) by (x^2 - 4) and you should get (x + 1) remainder 2x + 8.
Reply 8
pardon me for being stoopid, but why are people doing p3 now?

lou xxx
Reply 9
Ah... I know you're right, but I can't do this algebratic division lol, I keep getting quotient as x and remainder as 2x + 4.

Don't worry, it's kinda hard to help online, I'll ask somebody in school today (gosh 1 am). Thanks for all ur help.

I'm doing P3, because I have 3 weeks of school after the exams. I just started P3.
Reply 10
TheQueen1986
Ah... I know you're right, but I can't do this algebratic division lol, I keep getting quotient as x and remainder as 2x + 4.

Don't worry, it's kinda hard to help online, I'll ask somebody in school today (gosh 1 am). Thanks for all ur help.

I'm doing P3, because I have 3 weeks of school after the exams. I just started P3.

ah right... lucky you :rolleyes:

lou xxx
Reply 11
lou p
ah right... lucky you :rolleyes:

lou xxx

The year 12s go back to school and start P3, notice why its all algebra problems(first chapter). Cant wait until they move onto integration by substitution :P
Reply 12
imasillynarb
The year 12s go back to school and start P3, notice why its all algebra problems(first chapter). Cant wait until they move onto integration by substitution :P

....or some year 12s go back to school to start p4- notice that there aren't any recent p4 questions since the first chapter is inequalities :biggrin:
Reply 13
mockel
....or some year 12s go back to school to start p4- notice that there aren't any recent p4 questions since the first chapter is inequalities :biggrin:

lol, theyve got to be difficult inequalities though surely?
Reply 14
imasillynarb
lol, theyve got to be difficult inequalities though surely?

no, not really. you just have to be more careful of one extra thing, e.g:

(x+1)/(x-1) > 1

you can't just multiply the (x-1) across, since you don't know the sign of the 'x' (if you mutliplied by a negative, then you would have to change the inequality...so since (x-1) could be negative, you can't just assume it would end up to be the same inequality- i.e. it may not still be "greater than"). so you have to take the '1' over:

(x+1)/(x-1) -1 > 0

now make it a single fraction:

2/(x-1) > 0

now you have to find the critcal values (when is the numerator 0, and when is the denominator 0). in this case, the numerator cannot be 0, so the only c.v. is when x=1

so then you look at the possible regions created by the critical value(s), i.e. as if drawn on a number line,
so x<1, you get a negative, and
x>1, you get a positive...so the answer is x>1

obviously in this case you don't need to do all the stuff with the critical values, since it can be done by inspection- but at least you can now know how to do the first chapter of p4! :biggrin:
i'll admit, though, that some of the ineqaulities you have ti solve by graphical methods can be a bit tricky.
Reply 15
mockel
no, not really. you just have to be more careful of one extra thing, e.g:

(x+1)/(x-1) > 1

you can't just multiply the (x-1) across, since you don't know the sign of the 'x' (if you mutliplied by a negative, then you would have to change the inequality...so since (x-1) could be negative, you can't just assume it would end up to be the same inequality- i.e. it may not still be "greater than"). so you have to take the '1' over:

(x+1)/(x-1) -1 > 0

now make it a single fraction:

2/(x-1) > 0

now you have to find the critcal values (when is the numerator 0, and when is the denominator 0). in this case, the numerator cannot be 0, so the only c.v. is when x=1

so then you look at the possible regions created by the critical value(s), i.e. as if drawn on a number line,
so x<1, you get a negative, and
x>1, you get a positive...so the answer is x>1

obviously in this case you don't need to do all the stuff with the critical values, since it can be done by inspection- but at least you can now know how to do the first chapter of p4! :biggrin:
i'll admit, though, that some of the ineqaulities you have ti solve by graphical methods can be a bit tricky.

That seems pretty straight forward, I can imagine the exam questions being some right corkers though!
Reply 16
imasillynarb
hehe yea. we're on to calculus with trig now :biggrin: which is ok at the mo- sure to get hard soon. although i find it hard to use the chain rule/product rule in my head all the time unlike some others in my class who can do it in seconds.
also those who have done the p3 exam, did u remember all those trig derivatives off by heart (eg cosecx), did u just derive them in the exam, or are they in the formulae booklet?
Reply 17
hihihihi
hehe yea. we're on to calculus with trig now :biggrin: which is ok at the mo- sure to get hard soon. although i find it hard to use the chain rule/product rule in my head all the time unlike some others in my class who can do it in seconds.
also those who have done the p3 exam, did u remember all those trig derivatives off by heart (eg cosecx), did u just derive them in the exam, or are they in the formulae booklet?

some are in the formula booklet (cosecx, cotx) and others you just remember, especially after getting loads of practice (secx, tanx)

Latest