The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Mathematics May/June 2016 Official Thread

Summer 2016 - GCSE MATHS EDEXCEL EXAMS

I'm making this thread to help all of those sitting the two exams this summer. Feel free to have general discussions about the exam, as well as to share any tips etc.

Dates;
Non Calculator- Thursday 26th May 2016
Calculator- Thursday 9th June 2016

Specification:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/mathematics-a-2010.html#specificationinfo_973

Past Papers:
http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-gcses/mathematics-a-2010.coursematerials.html#filterQuery=Pearson-UK:Category%2FExam-materials

Useful Revision Sources:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z38pycw
https://www.youtube.com/user/HEGARTYMATHS
www.crashmaths.com/gcse-past-papers

Feel free to post questions asking for help, and don't hesitate to help others!!

Good Luck!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kennethdcharles
X

Thanks for the thread!

So how have people been revising for Maths? I did a few past papers, but not much else...
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Thanks for the thread!

So how have people been revising for Maths? I did a few past papers, but not much else...

The only way to revise maths is doing past papers so that is all I have done... as in 2 past papers.
Reply 3
Thanks for the thread!

Hey, you're welcome! I'm revising it the same way I'm revising for additional maths, purely by doing past papers and marking them myself. It really works for me, and I highly recommend this method :biggrin:
Original post by lunaticash19995
The only way to revise maths is doing past papers so that is all I have done... as in 2 past papers.

Hey, you're welcome! I'm revising it the same way I'm revising for additional maths, purely by doing past papers and marking them myself. It really works for me, and I highly recommend this method :biggrin:

At least I'm doing something right. :lol:

Yeah.. I'm paying more attention to Additional Maths than Maths anyway, since I find Maths a lot easier after going through Ad Maths.
Reply 5
At least I'm doing something right. :lol:

Yeah.. I'm paying more attention to Additional Maths than Maths anyway, since I find Maths a lot easier after going through Ad Maths.

Absolutely! This Easter, I've only done two GCSE paper, as opposed to four additional papers so far.:colondollar:
Absolutely! This Easter, I've only done two GCSE paper, as opposed to four additional papers so far.:colondollar:

I think I did one GCSE paper this Easter.

Spoiler

Reply 7
At 62 years old I decided to do GCSE Maths. I have been revising by doing a least 2 past papers every week, one at higher level and one at foundation level. I wish all the best and hope we all get good, high grades!!!
Original post by CI 1953
At 62 years old I decided to do GCSE Maths. I have been revising by doing a least 2 past papers every week, one at higher level and one at foundation level. I wish all the best and hope we all get good, high grades!!!

Are you doing higher or foundation tier? In my opinion, I'd stick to doing papers for the tier you are actually doing
Does anyone know when the Pixl GCSE Maths Predicted Paper for 2016 will be released?
Reply 10
Original post by TheGrammarGuru
Are you doing higher or foundation tier? In my opinion, I'd stick to doing papers for the tier you are actually doing

I am doing the foundation paper.
Reply 11
Mathswatch has become my best friend :smile:
Well my school have been awful about maths.
In yr 10 i sat the dreaded Hannahs sweets paper- I got a B i was happy
My school weren't happy- so everyone got reentered
In September, I sat another paper- I got a very high B (1 mark off an A in fact)
My school still weren't happy
Then we all started learning IGCSE stuff for some reason. Sets venns, differentiation amongst other things. This was completely unhelpful as noone knew which exam we were taking and we proceeded to waste 5 months on a syllabus we weren't even taking.
So now I've given up, I will revise later but i have my B (i can get into sixth form) and i feel like i could be in a much better place if we were told.
So i will be sitting this exam- but not well and with lots and lots of rage
Has anyone done those worst answered question compilation papers that edexcel made? I've done one of them and I'm going to do another because they were pretty manageable (got 63/71) but j made a few really stupid mistakes. They're good prep for difficult questions that might come up in ours as they make you think a bit more.
Reply 15
Original post by NiamhM1801
Has anyone done those worst answered question compilation papers that edexcel made? I've done one of them and I'm going to do another because they were pretty manageable (got 63/71) but j made a few really stupid mistakes. They're good prep for difficult questions that might come up in ours as they make you think a bit more.

Can you post the link?
Original post by lonyeka
Can you post the link?

http://www.mrbartonmaths.com/gcsepapers.htm

If you scroll to the bottom of this page they're there :smile:
Thanks for the thread. :smile:

Another good website is mathsgenie and for videos hegartymaths.

How is everyone's revision going???
Does anyone have like a check-list they can share for the higher paper?
Checklist for the higher paper that I have are:

Quadratic equations
Cumulative frequency
Trigonometry
Pythagoras theorem
Algebra (Factorising & expanding)
Simultaneous equations
Probabilty
Area, Shape & Volume
Prime factors
Transfiguration (Rotation, translation, reflection & enlargement)
Ratio
Percentage increase/decrease
Nth term

I could actually go on, but I think i've listed the main ones :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest