The Student Room Group

COMP3 - JUN 2016 Discussion Thread

Hi guys,

So noticed no one had started a thread for our upcoming COMP3 paper yet, so thought I start one to get things rolling.
If you seen the thread about last years COMP3 paper, that is what I'm aiming to go for with this thread, a big discussion about what to expect, helpful links/revision material for fellow students and a general place to talk about Computing as a subject.
I'll start off saying I feel relatively okay with this paper, doing past papers, reading the AQA book material and using websites such as:
http://www.multiwingspan.co.uk/a23.php
as queue card style notes:
https://quizlet.com/2206720/a2-computing-unit-3-flash-cards/

I'm retaking COMP1 and COMP2 this year (Capture the Sarrum was a B**CH) as I only got a D in COMP1 and a B in COMP2, so aiming to have a B overall, so nothing crazy.

That's all,
Thanks and good luck guys,
Feel free to ask any questions and lets see if we can help each other out etc.
Liam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I'm also doing COMP3 this year. The Capture the Sarrum code screwed me over too last year in COMP1 but currently on a B overall. Hoping for an A but not very confident in my COMP4 so really need to ace this exam! I've been trying to go through the text book and make notes on all the content but there are quite a few things that the textbook doesn't have anything on at all. For instance hashing, yet there have been exam questions on it :/ You may find some of the teaching guidance posted here useful: http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/as-and-a-level/computing-2510/teaching-and-learning-resources as it explains which SQL statements you need to be able to use and what an acceptable syntax is for them, which the mark schemes are **** at doing, along with some other interesting stuff!
Reply 2
I got an A in COMP4 but was also ruined by capture the sarrum last year. Aiming for a B because with my D in COMP1 last year and my B in COMP2 I can't get an A in UMS unless I literally 100% COMP3. Hoping that after last years bs like the COMP2 question on artificial intelligence that COMP3 is straight forward but I know in my heart they're plotting a 3 page triple recursive algorithm. Imagine if they made you do an algorithm question and just expected you to figure out it was intractable.
Reply 3
I got 73/75 on COMP4, and 1 mark of an A on COMP2, but COMP1 f****d me over too haha! Ended up getting an E in COMP1 o_O
AQA Reverse looks so much nicer now, and my coding knowledge has improved by ALOT. I need 82% in COMP1 and 88% in COMP3 and I might just ace that A*. :P

I'm curious how you guys are approaching revision for this exam, I feel like the textbook doesn't cover eveything...
Reply 4
Original post by Filipo
I got 73/75 on COMP4, and 1 mark of an A on COMP2, but COMP1 f****d me over too haha! Ended up getting an E in COMP1 o_OAQA Reverse looks so much nicer now, and my coding knowledge has improved by ALOT. I need 82% in COMP1 and 88% in COMP3 and I might just ace that A*. :PI'm curious how you guys are approaching revision for this exam, I feel like the textbook doesn't cover eveything...

I'm so frustrated right now because I was thinking the same as you. I couldn't find hashing anywhere in the book and there were past paper questions on it. I googled it and found out its not even in the book... I had absolutely no idea. Does anyone know if there are any other topics that aren't in the book that I should learn? If so does anyone know any good resources to learn them from?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ainsleyy
I'm so frustrated right now because I was thinking the same as you. I couldn't find hashing anywhere in the book and there were past paper questions on it. I googled it and found out its not even in the book... I had absolutely no idea. Does anyone know if there are any other topics that aren't in the book that I should learn? If so does anyone know any good resources to learn them from?

Hashing, graph traversals and binary trees are all on the revision checklist but aren't in the textbook, there are some good resources for them at http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/as-and-a-level/computing-2510/teaching-and-learning-resources though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Ainsleyy

Multiwingspan website provides some good notes, I think AQA has revision notes available too. There are a few websites with notes on them that have some stuff that we need. I think its all about using all the different resources which makes it much more difficult for us.
Hi, seems like most people are on the same page here, i got an E in comp1, a C in comp2, D for AS overall and my teacher predicts my comp4 is a low D (i am not great at programming). im retaking comp2 and doing comp3 of course, i am aiming for a C overall so i need to ace these exams. A lot of you have mentioned hashing questions coming up in exams, could someone tell me which papers they are so i could have a look, thanks.
Reply 8
Original post by JonnyMarx98
Hi, seems like most people are on the same page here, i got an E in comp1, a C in comp2, D for AS overall and my teacher predicts my comp4 is a low D (i am not great at programming). im retaking comp2 and doing comp3 of course, i am aiming for a C overall so i need to ace these exams. A lot of you have mentioned hashing questions coming up in exams, could someone tell me which papers they are so i could have a look, thanks.

I don't know what exams hashing comes up in, but what I would suggest is doing all of the past papers for comp3. There is only about 6, and questions in computing tend to be recycled a lot.
Original post by Filipo
I don't know what exams hashing comes up in, but what I would suggest is doing all of the past papers for comp3. There is only about 6, and questions in computing tend to be recycled a lot.

I was planning on doing so. It's annoying that my teacher still hasn't taught us everything yet though, so i have been teaching myself stuff i don't know.
Quick question, does anyone know if you can bullet point your answers on questions where you are assessed on good english. For example in june 2015 could you bullet point the tasks of an operating system on question 6.
Reply 11
Quick question, does anyone know if you can bullet point your answers on questions where you are assessed on good english. For example in june 2015 could you bullet point the tasks of an operating system on question 6.

I think you'd lose some marks for your QWC however I think you would still get credited for the contents of the bullet points.
Reply 12
I was planning on doing so. It's annoying that my teacher still hasn't taught us everything yet though, so i have been teaching myself stuff i don't know.

Your not the only one. We still haven't been taught everything. Its VERY frustrating.
Reply 13

You would lose marks for quality of written communication.
Original post by Filipo
You would lose marks for quality of written communication.

Okay thanks,
Original post by Filipo
I got 73/75 on COMP4, and 1 mark of an A on COMP2, but COMP1 f****d me over too haha! Ended up getting an E in COMP1 o_O
AQA Reverse looks so much nicer now, and my coding knowledge has improved by ALOT. I need 82% in COMP1 and 88% in COMP3 and I might just ace that A*. :P

I'm curious how you guys are approaching revision for this exam, I feel like the textbook doesn't cover eveything...

I'm in the exact same situation as you except I got a C in COMP1 last year but I'm still retaking. I can't seem to get my head around all the network stuff but as for the hashing and all the tree traversal stuff, there are notes on the AQA website. I think that's all that isn't covered in the book?
Does anyone know if there are any more past papers other than the three on the AQA website?
Reply 18
Original post by lukestanis
Does anyone know if there are any more past papers other than the three on the AQA website?

There are papers from June 2010 but AQA deletes them from their website for copy right. If you google for them you should be able to find them. There's also a specimen paper.
Original post by lukestanis

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5iFJVO9ji_AWWlxWHpaU3d6bTA&usp=sharing
Here you go, June 2010-2012 with markschemes

Quick Reply