The Student Room Group

De Moirves theorem notation

I had a problem in an Fp2 paper I did last night

Show that cos6θ32cos6θ48cos4θ+18cos2θ1\cos 6 \theta \equiv 32 \cos^6 \theta - 48 \cos^4 \theta + 18 \cos^2 \theta -1

So I noted that cos6θ+isin6θ=(cosθ+isinθ)6\cos 6 \theta + i\sin 6 \theta = (cos \theta + isin \theta)^6 and used binomial expansion twice to do the thing. It was a trawl of algebra but straight-forward. But my writing for one line actually ended up spanning two (from the MS, I see I could have used cc for cosθ\cos \theta and ss for sinθ\sin \theta).

My working

In previous years on here, I've seen a method which avoided writing so many terms by considering only the real or imaginary coefficients from the getgo.

It used \displaystyle \sum and \Re or \Im as appropriate but I don't recall how it was notated. Can someone show me below? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

It used \displaystyle \sum and \Re or \Im as appropriate but I don't recall how it was notated. Can someone show me below? :smile:

Something like:

Writing cosnθ+isinnθ=(c+is)n\cos n\theta +i\sin n\theta = (c+is)^n by De Moivre.

Then,

cos6θ=(c+is)6=l=06(nl)cl(is)6l=l=0l even6(nl)cl(is)6l[br]\displaystyle\cos 6\theta = \Re (c+is)^6\\=\Re\sum_{l=0}^6\binom{n}{l}c^l(is)^{6-l}\\=\sum^6_{\substack{l=0\\ \text{l even}}}\binom{n}{l}c^l(is)^{6-l}[br]

=(60)c0(is)6+(62)c2(is)4+(64)c4(is)2+(66)c6(is)0[br]\displaystyle=\binom{6}{0}c^0(is)^6+\binom{6}{2}c^2(is)^4+\binom{6}{4}c^4(is)^2+\binom{6}{6}c^6(is)^0[br]

then as you had.
(edited 8 years ago)
@ghostwalker, thanks :smile:.

Nice latex and use of \substack{}
Similar but odd for powers of sin I take it? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

Similar but odd for powers of sin I take it? :smile:

And use \Im and not \Re.
Original post by Zacken
And use \Im and not \Re.

Naturally :awesome:.