The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Pgde primary aberdeen 2016/17 thread

Hi everyone! My name is Sarah and I'm from Ireland and I'll be starting the course this year. I've tried to find threads for new PGDE students starting in August this year but so far there are none!
So I've decided to open this thread for all the new students and even old students from last year who want to inform us of things on the course!
We can use this thread to ask any questions about living in Aberdeen or anything about the course or just simply to introduce ourselves to each other.
Hi Sarah. I'm starting in August this year too. So excited. I live in Aberdeenshire but only moved here a year ago from Australia, from Ireland originally.
I think the thing I would like to know is what the learning modules are. The information I have so far: Monday & Tuesday: 9-5, then on Wednesday & Thursday it depends on which group we are placed in as there are different times for curriculum classes, off on Fridays.
Have you secured University accommodation? Rent is very expensive here so if I was moving here, I'd do a cost analysis on private and University rent. I don't believe Students have to pay council tax, however there are water rates for private accommodation, plus electric and heating and these are potentially included in the fees for the University halls.
If you want to know anything about Aberdeen then just ask, I know a little bit :smile:
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Original post by sjane1000
Hi everyone! My name is Sarah and I'm from Ireland and I'll be starting the course this year. I've tried to find threads for new PGDE students starting in August this year but so far there are none!
So I've decided to open this thread for all the new students and even old students from last year who want to inform us of things on the course!
We can use this thread to ask any questions about living in Aberdeen or anything about the course or just simply to introduce ourselves to each other.

I've moved this to the Aberdeen forum :biggrin:
Reply 3
Whereabouts is the Aberdeen forum?
Reply 4
Hi Aishling,
Thanks for responding...yes I've been to Aberdeen before and I think I would prefer to live in private accomadation preferably in the centre of the city but on the Uni side. I read your other post and do you think so most of the placements are in Aberdeen? That's good because I don't drive so i'm really hoping to get a school in the city. I don't mind commuting for up to an hour but I think anything more could be exhausting!
I currently live in Spain and I'm filling out the criminal background check its confusing cause i've lived in a lot of places!

Do you know when the placements start and is it 9 weeks and another 9 weeks?
Hi misses,

You are more than welcome, have you sorted out accommodation, if you would like I don't mind sending you some links or asking my friend (she is currently on her probationary year and lived in a shared house).
When I spoke to the gentleman who interviewed me he mentioned that most of the placements would be in Aberdeen. Just make sure you mention you don't have a car as the maximum travelling time is 1.5hours. Not sure when the placements would start and finish, would be something I'd greatly like to know too.
Criminal referencing check is a pain for anyone who has travelled. I've worked in Australia, Middle East, UK and Ireland in the past 10 years so was a pain remembering exact dates. :smile:
I hope you get sorted and all the best with your move back.

Hi Sarah, is it possible to get a link to "the Aberdeen Forum" thanks :smile:
Hey I'm from Northern Ireland, starting to panic about accommodation 🙈 How do the leases work when we start in August? Don't know when to book flights because I don't want to go over and have nowhere to live 😂
Hi Hannah, are you using student accommodation? I think they would have to be available from a few days to a week before the course begins? Although I'm not entirely sure.
Reply 8
Hi!
I have no where to live yet as well. I'm heading over the 1st of August and I'll probably stay in Airbnb while looking for a place to live. I'd say you better off setting up some appointments to see some places before you go over. Or if you want to stay in student accomadation contact the uni...
Reply 9
Also just got an email from the Uni that may be of interest about the PGDE primary:
Session 2016 2017 commences on Friday, 19 August 2016, full term dates can be found at -www.abdn.ac.uk/infohub/study/term-dates.phpThere are reading weeks (ie, no on campus requirement) weeks beginning 10 October 2016 and 27 March 2017 Friday 19 is the on-line registration day and the first on-campus requirement is Monday, 22 August and it is essential that all students attend, unless there are exceptional circumstaces. The School Placements dates are Orientation Monday 12th September 2016 Friday 23rd September 2016SE1A Monday 24 th October 2016 - Friday 18 th November 2016SE1B Monday 9 th January 2017 - Friday 3 rd February 2017 SE2A Monday 20 th February 2017 - Friday 24 th March 2017SE2B Monday 1 st May 2017 - Friday 26 th May 2017 The dates are the same for primary and secondary. The on campus days for PGDE Secondary students are –Monday and -Tuesday: Business Education, Drama, Home Economics, Maths, RMPS, Social SubjectsThursday: Computing, MFL, English, ScienceThere are some cross curriculum days which mean that all subjects will be in on a Tuesday and / or Thursday afternoon, and two student conferences on 7 December 2016 and 15 February 2017 (dates to be confirmed) The on campus days for PGDE Primary students are Monday to Thursday. Does anyone know what SE1A etc means?
Reply 10
Sorry the email came out a bit difficult to read...thats from Cathy in admissions at the Uni...
Hey everyone

Is anyone doing pgde English?

Jane
Original post by sjane1000
Also just got an email from the Uni that may be of interest about the PGDE primary:
Session 2016 2017 commences on Friday, 19 August 2016, full term dates can be found at -www.abdn.ac.uk/infohub/study/term-dates.phpThere are reading weeks (ie, no on campus requirement) weeks beginning 10 October 2016 and 27 March 2017 Friday 19 is the on-line registration day and the first on-campus requirement is Monday, 22 August and it is essential that all students attend, unless there are exceptional circumstaces. The School Placements dates are Orientation Monday 12th September 2016 Friday 23rd September 2016SE1A Monday 24 th October 2016 - Friday 18 th November 2016SE1B Monday 9 th January 2017 - Friday 3 rd February 2017 SE2A Monday 20 th February 2017 - Friday 24 th March 2017SE2B Monday 1 st May 2017 - Friday 26 th May 2017 The dates are the same for primary and secondary. The on campus days for PGDE Secondary students are –Monday and -Tuesday: Business Education, Drama, Home Economics, Maths, RMPS, Social SubjectsThursday: Computing, MFL, English, ScienceThere are some cross curriculum days which mean that all subjects will be in on a Tuesday and / or Thursday afternoon, and two student conferences on 7 December 2016 and 15 February 2017 (dates to be confirmed) The on campus days for PGDE Primary students are Monday to Thursday. Does anyone know what SE1A etc means?

Se1A is the first school placement and 2 the second school :smile:
Hi! I'm beginning the PGDE this year as well and I haven't sorted accommodation yet. I know this thread is a few months old now, but I was wondering if anyone is still looking for somewhere to live too?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending