The Student Room Group

PGDE student help

I hope you can help me and give me some advice. I’m currently undertaking the PGDE primary education course at university and going to graduate this June. However, I am not enjoying placements and teaching itself which has caused me a lot of anxiety throughout the year and is getting bad to this point.

I still want to finish my degree but I don’t think I would be able to do my probation year. Is there any other jobs that I could use this degree in or would I have to complete my probation? I just don’t want it to be all for nothing.

Thanks
Original post by Annonymus111
I hope you can help me and give me some advice. I’m currently undertaking the PGDE primary education course at university and going to graduate this June. However, I am not enjoying placements and teaching itself which has caused me a lot of anxiety throughout the year and is getting bad to this point.

I still want to finish my degree but I don’t think I would be able to do my probation year. Is there any other jobs that I could use this degree in or would I have to complete my probation? I just don’t want it to be all for nothing.

Thanks

That's a real shame you're not enjoying it! Firstly, you need to make sure you do something which makes you happy. Teaching isn't for everyone and that's okay, it just means you can take some time to figure out what you really enjoy.

I'm not on the PGDE course yet but I would suggest that you speak to someone at Uni or a teacher you get on with in your placement to see if they have any advice.

I could be totally wrong, but I think the probation year is optional. My understanding is that it is good to have done if you want to go into teaching, but you can still teach without completing the probation year.

I hope that helps a little.
Did you ever get an answer to this? I’m in a similar position and can’t find any info. I don’t want to ask my uni

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending