The Student Room Group

A level subjects

For a level, I have chosen English literature, psychology and photography, mostly because these are subjects I enjoy and am good at. Are they a random combination and will Russel group universities not like photography a level ? I don’t know what I plan to do at university but am hoping to become a primary school teacher. Does anyone have any advice ? Thank you!
Original post by georgeezra36
For a level, I have chosen English literature, psychology and photography, mostly because these are subjects I enjoy and am good at. Are they a random combination and will Russel group universities not like photography a level ? I don’t know what I plan to do at university but am hoping to become a primary school teacher. Does anyone have any advice ? Thank you!

To become a primary school teacher, you would need a degree or certificate with QTS, specifically for primary education.
I cannot find an undergrad in education with QTS from any Russell Group uni, since they tend to focus more on research.
Russell group unis do offer PGCEs (or PGDEs if in Scotland) with QTS in primary education.

If you want to become a primary teacher as soon as possible, you would want to do an undergrad in education with QTS since this would take 3 years in total.
If you specifically want a degree from a Russell Group uni, you can do an undergrad in any subject from a Russell Group uni (or any uni, but Russell Group because you insist on this) then do a 2 year PGCE/PGDE in primary education with QTS from any uni (Russell Group or not). In total, you would need at least 5 years.

Any certificate or degree without QTS would not allow you to teach as a profession. A PGCE/PGDE with QTS in anything other than primary education won't let you teach in primary education (am not completely sure about the undergrads in Education with QTS).
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by MindMax2000
To become a primary school teacher, you would need a degree or certificate with QTS, specifically for primary education.
I cannot find an undergrad in education with QTS from any Russell Group uni, since they tend to focus more on research.
Russell group unis do offer PGCEs (or PGDEs if in Scotland) with QTS in primary education.

If you want to become a primary teacher as soon as possible, you would want to do an undergrad in education with QTS since this would take 3 years in total.
If you specifically want a degree from a Russell Group uni, you can do an undergrad in any subject from a Russell Group uni (or any uni, but Russell Group because you insist on this) then do a 2 year PGCE/PGDE in primary education with QTS from any uni (Russell Group or not). In total, you would need at least 5 years.

Any certificate or degree without QTS would not allow you to teach as a profession. A PGCE/PGDE with QTS in anything other than primary education won't let you teach in primary education (am not completely sure about the undergrads in Education with QTS).

Thank you for your reply, my parents are teachers and recommend doing a degree in a subject and then doing an extra qualification to become a teacher just for flexibility/in case I change my mind. So do you think I could get into a good uni with these subjects and are there any different to consider ?
Original post by georgeezra36
Thank you for your reply, my parents are teachers and recommend doing a degree in a subject and then doing an extra qualification to become a teacher just for flexibility/in case I change my mind. So do you think I could get into a good uni with these subjects and are there any different to consider ?

I don't know what degree you want to do.

Out of English literature, psychology and photography, English Lit and Psychology are borderline required subjects for degrees in their respective subjects (borderline because they are required for some degrees, usually at top end and picky universities). If you want to go into a top end uni, you might want to think about whether you want to opt for something else other than photography as it might not be considered academic enough.

If you don't want to do a degree in Lit or psychology, then you would be eligible to study degrees in any subject that accept 3 A Levels in any subjects:

Anything in business expect for financial mathematics and actuarial science (for obvious reasons)

Law

Anthropology

Archaeology

Sociology and criminology

Most psychology degrees

Some degrees in creative writing and English literature

Nonquantiative economics degrees

Education

Theology

Politics

Philosophy

Linguistics

Agriculture

Some art and design degrees, including architecture

Some geography degrees (usually ones with emphasis on human geography)

Film

Game design

Hospitality

Property and urban planning

Journalism

Media studies

Nursing

Paramedic science

Social work

If you don't like the looks of the above, you might want to specify what other alternative careers you are thinking of doing.
Do note, other than roles in education, healthcare, barrister, science, engineering, academia, research, property, sociology/criminology, law, and architecture, a degree isn't likely going to help you. Of the list mentioned, there are only certain roles in healthcare, academia, research, barrister can you not do without going to uni; all other roles can be achieved through apprenticeships and professional qualifications.

Certain universities will list the approved subjects they would consider academic or acceptable for the specific degree that you want to apply for. Unsurprisingly, these tend to be the more traditional and theoretical subjects we have been exposed to throughout school.

If you can give me a list of careers that you would alternatively see yourself doing other than teaching, then I would be able to narrow things down.

Quick Reply

Latest